Dooley In Over His Head, Again

You must where we're at then. An AD who's never been an AD who hired a head coach who's never been a head coach.

Pruitt has been a coordinator. Dooley hasn't. He jumped from position coach to HC and back to position coach. Big gamble by Mizzou.

This in a nutshell. :crazy:
[Twitter]971179204665626625[/Twitter]

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting thoughts on his time at Tennessee.

Derek Dooley Q&A: "This isn’t my offense. It’s our offense, Missouri’s offense."

Q: When you look back at how those three years at Tennessee unfolded, what did you learn? Did you leave there with bitterness?

A: More than anything it was the first time in my career. I was 44 at the time (I was fired) and up to that point everything worked. Like we all do, you get a little ‘I got this.’ You think you can succeed at anything. It was very humbling. I learned a lot. There’s a lot of little things I would have done differently. There’s a lot of big things I certainly would have done differently. Would it have changed the outcome? Who knows, because there’s so many variables out of your control.

More than anything, it was really healthy for me to be humbled. It was. We all need it in our life. In some ways what Tennessee gave me was the biggest gift you can give anybody, a real dose of humility. I think it’s changed how I approach things and how I deal with people and how I handle when things aren’t always perfect. You have a great perspective on things and control what you can control and not get worked up, focus on what matters most. I’m a micromanager by personality. That’s what Nick has always done great. He puts (his focus) on recruiting and ball. All the other stuff takes care of itself.

Q: You had to micromanage at Louisiana Tech to get things running there. Did that same approach not work at Tennessee?

A: It’s a little why I didn’t do it any different at Tennessee because it was working. The difference was at Louisiana Tech everybody listened to me and did what I said. At Tennessee very few people listened to me and most of them did something different than what I said. That’s how it is at a lot of big places when you don’t come in empowered as “the guy.” you have to learn how to manage those environments. That’s what frustrated me. You can’t even compare the two. You had a lot of division going on between (Phil) Fulmer, (Lane) Kiffin and fans. There was a lot of division on campus. It was a different environment, and I didn’t see it that way but should have.

My thoughts too... Sounds like, "I was humbled and grew a lot from the experience but looking back it was everyone else's fault."

Reactions: Rocky_Top_Vol13
My thoughts too... Sounds like, "I was humbled and grew a lot from the experience but looking back it was everyone else's fault."

Reminds me of the Vince Young interview from last year, where he started out talking about how he had matured and gotten over his problems with the Titans and Jeff Fisher, then by the end of the interview he's blasting Fisher and blaming him for all his problems.

Dools fielded some good offenses here. But, I have to question how much of that was him, and how much was Chaney. His teams as a whole were undisciplined and schizophrenic at times. I think in the end he may end up being a decent coach if he can learn to take some responsibility. It doesn't sound like he is doing it in this interview. I fully expect his offense to crumble under pressure as that has been his pattern so far.

Why are people assuming Dooley is going to suck as an OC?
We will see what happens but he has never had play calling duties before. The most responsibility he has had to work with so far was Tennessee where he obviously failed and wasn't respected by his players. There are several of his players from UT on record talking about how he was in over his head.

Dooley knows offense.

But it’s laughable to think he’ll ever get a HC job at a big program again.
Derek Dumbass will be looking for another job when Barry Odom gets fired for having a losing record this season. I think he might wind up an Offensive Coordinator in the CFL if that happens.

Dooley was a HC before he took the job here.
Where he was just 17-20. The only place Dooley has truly been successful was at LSU under Saban, who never trusted him with very much responsibility in terms of coaching duties. And why didn't Saban ever hire him as an OC at Alabama? Or even as a position coach at Alabama? He has had several open positions.

Where he was just 17-20. The only place Dooley has truly been successful was at LSU under Saban, who never trusted him with very much responsibility in terms of coaching duties. And why didn't Saban ever hire him as an OC at Alabama? Or even as a position coach at Alabama? He has had several open positions.
Derek Dumbass seasons a LA Tech before he came to Tennessee were

2007: 5-7
2008: 8-5
2009: 4-8

VN Store

Back