don't freak out about the extension

Women’s basketball coach is not high profile.

She’s getting another year because it’s a non revenue sport and she hasn’t been awful enough to fire.

It is a revenue sport.
Maybe not a profitable source of revenue, but not as big a loser as most other programs in women's basketball. So, the best team and effort that can be put on the floor the better off the ath. dept. will be.

Is there any other streaks that needs to be broken under Holly ? Maybe Fulmer wants to get them all out of the way before he fires her. There is no other excuse to keep her other than to have to pay for a good coach.

This is such a weak argument, sure some "streaks" have ended under Holly, but what did you expect after a legend like Pat?

It wouldn't have mattered who took over after Pat, some of those streaks were going to end, and frankly I'm glad they have so they can stop worrying about them and just play basketball.

Takes some of the pressure off and they can build their own legacy instead of trying to live in Pat and past teams' shadows.

Reactions: 5 people
Bring in Carolyn Peck as HC for 3 years & see what happens.

She won a NC @ Purdue of all places & she knows how to coach up these All-Americans that's on our Lady Vols team.

She was an assistant coach @ one time for us I believe under Pat.

Why in the world would you want Carolyn Peck? A national championship fell in her lap because she took over a program that had Stephanie White and Katie Douglas.

Since then all she has done is run the Orlando Miracle into the ground, then Florida going below .500 as a head coach at both programs and finishing her last season at Florida 9-22 with a 14 game losing streak sprinkled in to her last season for good measure.

She and her former star player certainly aren't setting the world on fire at Vandy either. Two terrible seasons in a row and 3 transfers this year.

Reactions: 6 people
This is such a weak argument, sure some "streaks" have ended under Holly, but what did you expect after a legend like Pat?

It wouldn't have mattered who took over after Pat, some of those streaks were going to end, and frankly I'm glad they have so they can stop worrying about them and just play basketball.

Takes some of the pressure off and they can build their own legacy instead of trying to live in Pat and past teams' shadows.

Keep telling yourself that and sooner or later you will believe it. Some of those streaks might of ended but not within 4-6 years. Its not like Holly has not had the talent, she just cant coach. Holly is building her own legacy alright. Its just not a good one.

Reactions: 3 people
Why in the world would you want Carolyn Peck? A national championship fell in her lap because she took over a program that had Stephanie White and Katie Douglas.

Since then all she has done is run the Orlando Miracle into the ground, then Florida going below .500 as a head coach at both programs and finishing her last season at Florida 9-22 with a 14 game losing streak sprinkled in to her last season for good measure.

She and her former star player certainly aren't setting the world on fire at Vandy either. Two terrible seasons in a row and 3 transfers this year.

And this is part of the problem we're going to face when she's gone, and she will be gone. We're going to be arguing over who the coach should be. There really aren't many, if any, good choices available, at least not proven ones. Fulmer will still be getting a lot of insults from our experts.

Then there will be suggested coaches who we have no good reason to believe is any better than what we already have. It's going to be fun.

Reactions: 4 people
Keep telling yourself that and sooner or later you will believe it. Some of those streaks might of ended but not within 4-6 years. Its not like Holly has not had the talent, she just cant coach. Holly is building her own legacy alright. Its just not a good one.

Never said there aren't problems that need to be addressed both with coaching and with play. But using those records as a benchmark for any coach that had to follow CPS is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure tons of streaks ended after Wooden left UCLA as well. You can't compare somebody to a legend and use that as the basis for your argument as to why they're a failure. It just doesn't make sense.

And this is part of the problem we're going to face when she's gone, and she will be gone. We're going to be arguing over who the coach should be. There really aren't many, if any, good choices available, at least not proven ones. Fulmer will still be getting a lot of insults from our experts.

Then there will be suggested coaches who we have no good reason to believe is any better than what we already have. It's going to be fun.

I agree with you 100%.

Now that's an original take, and so cynical! Holly as sacrificial lamb to get all the streaks and expectations and follow the legend baggage out of way. Then hire the real coach to start from scratch.

Well she's doing her part at least.

Actually I think all the "can't be Pat" stuff is way overblown. We'll hear it the rest of our lives because its standard lazy cliche sports journalism. Just doesn't apply in this case.

I neither expected nor wanted Holly to be Pat. I do, however, want her to be Vic, Muffett, Kelly, Kim Sulky (ugh), Gary, Rick, etc. or some variation thereof as a consistently successful, high-achieving head coach of a major program. That's it.

Reactions: 10 people
Those who are looking for Fulmer to publicly comment on Holly’s performance—it won’t happen. Fulmer is Warlick’s supervisor and, as such, his performance reviews, suggestions, mandates, expectations, and criticisms of her will remain private between the two of them, as required in any performance evaluation. This does not mean he hasn’t set some goals for retaining her job; they just won’t be publicized.

Reactions: 1 person
Adios amigo.

F*** mediocrity.

Take the seats I would have purchased if you support the under achieving p.o.s. product that has been put on the court under Holly’s leadership...you can HAVE them! Lord knows nobody else wants to watch a team full of great recruits get beat by a team full of under achievers!

When you finally decide you want our team to achieve to the standard set by our late, great, HOF coach-it may be too late to fix the problem! With “Holly Homer” fans such as yourself, I won’t hold my breath for the change our program NEEDS!

Reactions: 2 people
F*** mediocrity.

Take the seats I would have purchased if you support the under achieving p.o.s. product that has been put on the court under Holly’s leadership...you can HAVE them! Lord knows nobody else wants to watch a team full of great recruits get beat by a team full of under achievers!

When you finally decide you want our team to achieve to the standard set by our late, great, HOF coach-it may be too late to fix the problem! With “Holly Homer” fans such as yourself, I won’t hold my breath for the change our program NEEDS!

Acknowledge your feelings. Sometimes people allow things like the performance of their favorite team to affect their emotions. That’s okay. If you are angry or upset about your team losing, don’t pretend otherwise. Give yourself a chance to vent a little bit, or at least be disappointed.

Keep control. Because it’s only a game, there is no reason for your anger or sadness to lead to personally destructive behavior. If you are at the game, go ahead and yell a bit, but avoid shouting at other fans (especially fans of the other team). Avoid stirring up fights or throwing things as well.

Eat something. Food can be a great comfort when faced with disappointment, including watching your team lose. Just make sure to eat healthy if you can. People tend to reach for sweets and other unhealthy foods when dealing with a loss. Instead, make sure you are surrounded by healthier foods so that you aren’t tempted to pack on the pounds after defeat.

Adios amigo.

Good or bad I will not abandon the Lady Vols, however, no matter how much money they throw at Holly, I just do not see much changing. We need an offense to take on zone defenses and we have to find a solution for all those turnovers. If not we will always be the bridesmaids and never the bride. I know with the talent we now have, we can and should be better.

Acknowledge your feelings. Sometimes people allow things like the performance of their favorite team to affect their emotions. That’s okay. If you are angry or upset about your team losing, don’t pretend otherwise. Give yourself a chance to vent a little bit, or at least be disappointed.

Keep control. Because it’s only a game, there is no reason for your anger or sadness to lead to personally destructive behavior. If you are at the game, go ahead and yell a bit, but avoid shouting at other fans (especially fans of the other team). Avoid stirring up fights or throwing things as well.

Eat something. Food can be a great comfort when faced with disappointment, including watching your team lose. Just make sure to eat healthy if you can. People tend to reach for sweets and other unhealthy foods when dealing with a loss. Instead, make sure you are surrounded by healthier foods so that you aren’t tempted to pack on the pounds after defeat.

Like I said-F*** mediocrity. That is how I “feel” about it.

No more of this snowflake bull****...the reality is that in any other profession under achieving will result in being fired and replaced by someone who can achieve the results the patrons of the business desire. College Sports is a business in addition to an education for the kids. Fans are the patrons. ****ty product=Loss of revenue. Loss of revenue should lead to a new coach.

It is time. Holly has had a more than fair chance to succeed and has vastly under achieved-that is not even debatable. Time to move on.

Pssst, that's over half. Math is hard....

14,000 out of 22,000 seats is around 64%, most Women’s programs, this side of Genno, would die for an attendance percentage like that. Isn’t Holly averaging around 8,000 to 9,000 attendance per game (approximately 39%). I would say that attendance under Holly is taking a serious downturn. It has a lot to do with expectations and the product you put on the floor. There seems to be no cure for what affects Holly’s teams.

Reactions: 2 people
14,000 out of 22,000 seats is around 64%, most Women’s programs, this side of Genno, would die for an attendance percentage like that. Isn’t Holly averaging around 8,000 to 9,000 attendance per game (approximately 39%). I would say that attendance under Holly is taking a serious downturn. It has a lot to do with expectations and the product you put on the floor. There seems to be no cure for what affects Holly’s teams.

Hey, don't knock that raucous crowd of 4,338 that showed up for the Oregon State game. You know, an NCAA TOURNAMENT win or it's over game, only the most important game of the entire season. Holly really has this fan base in a fever pitch....

Reactions: 5 people

I think the Lady Vols averaged about 9,300 per game this season.

I think UT has admitted to losing a large part of the previous Lady Vol crowd in the last five years. They blame it on people dying or getting old. Didn't these people have children who had children to continue to support the team? I think a lot of the younger people want no part of what has happened to Lady Vol basketball. I am sure tv is a factor but enthusiasm is also greatly involved.

VN Store

Back