Do We The Ranch Hands to Bridle and Tame Bama Receivers?

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Like many, my main focus has been on whether we can, not stop but marginally minimize Bama's rushing attack. Not until I read this article did I remember we've had our throat cut by Bama receivers as well. Looks like our young secondary will get tested yet again. Hope we do better than we did at the WVA game.
Can UT Vols finally slow down Alabama's receivers?

Two words ball control. Pound the rock like we have been, then hit em with the deep balls. Keep their offense off the field and hopefully our line play is good enough. Much much much easier said than done but if we do those things we have a chance.

Reactions: VolsLady-in-FL
Secondary is going to get lit up unless the D line can generate a consistent pass rush throughout the game. Tall order for sure.

Reactions: VolsLady-in-FL
Two words ball control. Pound the rock like we have been, then hit em with the deep balls. Keep their offense off the field and hopefully our line play is good enough. Much much much easier said than done but if we do those things we have a chance.

Bama's TD drives are averaging 89 seconds after 7 games of the season. Keeping the offense off the field isn't that difficult, really. Tua Tagovailoa is completing 72.5% of his passes, leads all quarterbacks with 14.3 yards per attempt, has thrown 21 touchdown passes to zero interceptions and has yet to play in the fourth quarter this season. And it’s not only because he’s the face of the nation’s No. 1 scoring offense, which is averaging 53.6 points per game and with 50 touchdowns through seven games is within striking distance of the single-season record of 76, set in 2016.

Reactions: dcm3w
I think The opposite. I think We need to pass to set up the run on Saturday. Throw the ball on first down! Even it’s just a bubble route to Chandler on the outside! Create space for our playmakers, then take some deep shots when it’s not expected. I trust JG decision making. Then if we have them spread out we can start trying to run it a little bit to keep them honest. Our only chance of beating this team is creating a bunch of big plays. We cannot play them head to head and expect to win.

Reactions: GRN1926
b01aebbb3bbb3e4c132dc10fd23074ce.jpg

I think The opposite. I think We need to pass to set up the run on Saturday. Throw the ball on first down! Even it’s just a bubble route to Chandler on the outside! Create space for our playmakers, then take some deep shots when it’s not expected. I trust JG decision making. Then if we have them spread out we can start trying to run it a little bit to keep them honest. Our only chance of beating this team is creating a bunch of big plays. We cannot play them head to head and expect to win.
I’m all for throwing on first down. I’ve cussed Helton many times this season for goin up the gut. But an incomplete pass on first down get stuffed on 2nd. Lookin at 3rd and long real quick. Then we punt bama scores. Game gets out of hand quick

Reactions: TitanicVolz
I’m all for throwing on first down. I’ve cussed Helton many times this season for goin up the gut. But an incomplete pass on first down get stuffed on 2nd. Lookin at 3rd and long real quick. Then we punt bama scores. Game gets out of hand quick
That’s why we throw to Chandler in space on a safe, high percentage pass .

Run run pass that’s what I’m expecting. Last weeks win has made me feel better about Pruitt but as far as Helton goes I’m still not sold he’s very predictable

Reactions: GRN1926
Run run pass that’s what I’m expecting. Last weeks win has made me feel better about Pruitt but as far as Helton goes I’m still not sold he’s very predictable

Pruitt wants to open the run game as much as possible so it doesn’t surprise me to see us run it on 1st down.

I agree that we’ll have to mix it up more against a stoute Bama defense.

Best way to stop a passing attack is to disrupt it through pressure.

Bama has allowed 5 sacks in 7 games.

If the Vols want to stop their passing game they need to harass Tua from the opening whistle.

Unfortunately we have to run the ball to keep the clock moving and take our shots in the passing game when we feel like we have a mismatch. Bama can boat race any team in the country so running the ball and using the whole play clock is our best chance to keep things "kinda" close. Ill be pleased if we keep the game within 2-3 touchdowns. Can we do that? I guess we will find out on Saturday.

This game isn't going to be like the Auburn game. The "run it on first and second down to chuck it downfield on 3rd and long," stuff isn't going to work.

We still can't run the ball for sh!t, and the OL won't have the same success it did in pass protection last week. But let's continue to get the ball to Chandler, Callaway and Jennings. The Auburn game gave us lots of positives to continue working towards.

Defensively, I would like to see us create some pressure, but we will likely have to send more than four players to do it. That's going to open up the secondary for exploitation. I have a feeling Buchanan is going to have a long day.

I'm looking for D. Taylor and Phillips to continue their strong play.

Either way, there's a reason, or several reasons, we're a four-TD underdog at home.

Like many, my main focus has been on whether we can, not stop but marginally minimize Bama's rushing attack. Not until I read this article did I remember we've had our throat cut by Bama receivers as well. Looks like our young secondary will get tested yet again. Hope we do better than we did at the WVA game.

Their receivers were responsible for our 19-14 loss in 2015. We simply could not stop them on their game winning drive. Of course, I'm not a proponent of the prevent defense, and that played a role, too.

Bama's TD drives are averaging 89 seconds after 7 games of the season. Keeping the offense off the field isn't that difficult, really. Tua Tagovailoa is completing 72.5% of his passes, leads all quarterbacks with 14.3 yards per attempt, has thrown 21 touchdown passes to zero interceptions and has yet to play in the fourth quarter this season. And it’s not only because he’s the face of the nation’s No. 1 scoring offense, which is averaging 53.6 points per game and with 50 touchdowns through seven games is within striking distance of the single-season record of 76, set in 2016.
Big deal. We have the SEC offensive player of the week on our team.

Best way to stop a passing attack is to disrupt it through pressure.

Bama has allowed 5 sacks in 7 games.

If the Vols want to stop their passing game they need to harass Tua from the opening whistle.
The d linemen I'm sure know if they can get pressure without LB help they'll help the db's big time. I'm going to be interested in how the refs call holding/false starts/chop blocking on that Bama o line. If I'm a Vols d lineman, I know much rests on me disrupting the backfield quickly.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent

Jeudy and Smith will likely continue the trend of Bamas WRs torching our secondary.

Yep. The first 4 games were exactly that. Run, run, pass, punt. I’m with you, but last weekend Helton gave me a little more confidence.

VN Store

Back