Do we see more 4 man defensive fronts this week?

Hmm.. could they use a smaller speedster to pass rush. Maybe enough speed to get past tackles from the ends? Drawing in the dirt plays may help at this point lol

Don’t be so hard on philips. Kid was playing well his first season then got injured. He does have some speed and quickness. He may need to redevelop it. More reps.
Kongbo needs way more experience playing football. I think he is finally in a position that fits him, but he is learning a new one. Don’t think he will learn enough before he is gone. I think his ceiling here is serviceable.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I like Gooden, Tuttle, Phillips, and Johnson with Kongbo taking a seat. These four may actually help Bituli, Kirkland, etc make more plays for losses.

Not a good idea since the QB we are about to play leads their team in rushing. Last thing we need is this dude outside our DE's all day. Chasing him around and then him dunking it off to a slot guy for 8-12 yards.........
That's exactly how you counter mobile QBs. You collapse the pocket instead of speed rushing the edges. It takes away running lanes.

I think CJP has demonstrated over and over again that he knows more about coaching defense than most...
There are MANY ways to get pressure on the QB with only a 3 man front...with the main idea being to keep from being predictable--never giving away where the pressure will be coming from in the pre-snap reads...

I seem to remember CJP saying before that our defense would continue to employ multiple fronts...
And using 4 man fronts against UTEP is a safe way to get more DL on the field to gain experience before real SEC competition begins...

And I certainly don't believe that CJP is gonna "...show his hand..." about how he intends to get pressure from a 3 man front before the Florida game. There's already enough film out there from CJP's time at Alabama for our opponents to study.

Either way--I don't believe for one moment that CJP will sit back on D and play passively against Florida in Knoxville. And that's when our real season begins! I expect him to make every attempt to keep the box loaded with 8 and bring pressure to force the QB into making quick decisions and quick throws. And I expect Fla to spread the field with 4 wides and try to run the ball between the tackles. And I think that may be why CJP is experimenting more with a 4 man DL front.

I don't really know--but I am completely sure that CJP does!

GO VOLS!

I think the only way we get any consistent pressure is by utilizing stunts from all over.

I remember back, maybe in Dooley’s last year? We played a Missouri team that kept its linemen upright and out of a 3 point stance to disguise who needed to be blocked.

Utilizing the above 2 methods may help, but I doubt we see anything like that this week. That would be something Pruitt may try against Fla if he believes it can help.

Then again he may be pulling a Frank Martin and making the team do what his defense call for but they aren’t good at.

Ref: Frank Martin last year saying USCe was playing horrible man defense, but he wasn’t going to switch to zone, they were just gonna have to learn.

It was said earlier in the week that Emmett Gooden was practicing in a 4 man look with Tuttle, Johnson, and Phillips this week. I for one think adding Gooden could help with our pass rushing problems if we decide to run this 4 man fronT. Does everybody think this is a good idea?? Or are there folks on VN who don’t like this idea?

IMHO its less about the numbers on the front and more about getting the best players on the field at the same time. Gooden has been more productive than either Kongbo or Taylor. Emmett is a hand in the dirt guy so you go with that.

I think the only way we get any consistent pressure is by utilizing stunts from all over.

I remember back, maybe in Dooley’s last year? We played a Missouri team that kept its linemen upright and out of a 3 point stance to disguise who needed to be blocked.

Utilizing the above 2 methods may help, but I doubt we see anything like that this week. That would be something Pruitt may try against Fla if he believes it can help.

Then again he may be pulling a Frank Martin and making the team do what his defense call for but they aren’t good at.

Ref: Frank Martin last year saying USCe was playing horrible man defense, but he wasn’t going to switch to zone, they were just gonna have to learn.
Pruitt won’t bring pressure against UTEP. He wants his freshmen DB’s to work.

[QUOTE="VFLCodyGBO, post: 15765177, member: 52897"]I think the only way we get any consistent pressure is by utilizing stunts from all over.

Ref: Frank Martin last year saying USCe was playing horrible man defense, but he wasn’t going to switch to zone, they were just gonna have to learn.[/QUOTE]

The two guys with the most TFL's per play are Gooden and Tuttle. We may see them in a 4 man front in 3 / 2i technique variations and stunting off each other. Its certainly worth a shot

Don’t be so hard on philips. Kid was playing well his first season then got injured. He does have some speed and quickness. He may need to redevelop it. More reps.
Kongbo needs way more experience playing football. I think he is finally in a position that fits him, but he is learning a new one. Don’t think he will learn enough before he is gone. I think his ceiling here is serviceable.

He MAY be learning a new one,,,, but he never learned the old one. Not to sound too ugly, but if you have the talent, etc. everyone said he had at the beginning, then he just doesn't have the learning ability. Maybe that's why he isn't a 4 year man somewhere and had to come through the jr. college system.

We are running mostly a 4 man front now....can’t get pressure with it...

I've noticed that, too.

Getting pressure on the QB is 90% mental and the other half is physical - with apologies to Yogi Berra.
A large part of it is a matter of the will, much like rebounding in basketball. You have to want it.
You must become an unrelenting, demon possessed wrecking ball with the sole purpose causing havoc in the opponent's offensive plans.

We don't seem to have anyone with this mindset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacer92
I am not at all worried about this. UTEP is 0-2 with loses to the mighty North Arizona Lumberjacks and UNLV. This will be an ass kicking like ETSU no matter what defense we use the most.

I am not worried about this game at all either but would rather not give up a ton of yards because some DT QB gets outside all day and runs for 200 yards

that is assuming that you have someone fast enough to contain on the outside, which we dont!!!
I'd rather take my chances with them scrambling outside the pocket than straight up the B gap that our end left wide open. Push the tackle back to close the B gap and keep contain on C gap

Had to do a double take on this post, initially I thought it asked if the Vols win 4 games?

Going out on a limb, if the Vols don't win 4 games, the fire Pruitt mantra will blow up VN

Doug Mathews has made the comment that we’ve gone to a four man front with the OLB coming up to be an end, in Darrell Taylor and Kongbo. But they still aren’t getting any pressure.
Kongbo has been close several times. ETSU was not holding the ball.

It was said earlier in the week that Emmett Gooden was practicing in a 4 man look with Tuttle, Johnson, and Phillips this week. I for one think adding Gooden could help with our pass rushing problems if we decide to run this 4 man fronT. Does everybody think this is a good idea?? Or are there folks on VN who don’t like this idea?

Vols run a 4-2-5 when in they go to the nickel defense on passing downs. Been doing it both games this season.

VN Store

Back