Do we have a better punt returner?

I have a bigger problem with the return team in general. Callaway rarely has a chance to return it.
It looks to me like most of the time they were comin after the block, maybe that explains why he doesn’t have a chance to return one cause they are not setting up for a return.

Reactions: SaintLouisVol
We did he plays for the Steelers now.....try Ty Chandler. CJP is big on playing starters on special teams.

I believe he returned one vs WVU and thats how he got the concussion
If I remember correctly he had either a sweep or bounced a run to the outside and took a knee to the helmet by a DB. I could be wrong though. I think they have Callaway back there because they trust him to secure the ball more than any other player at the moment. That being said, he has struggled on a few this year with the fumble and letting it bounce, so I think his confidence may be shot a little bit.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
I think Tyler Byrd or Ty Chandler would be fine, hard to say without seeing other examples of this years kick returners in practice.

I get the feeling that CJP is mainly concerned with having someone back there to secure the ball for his offense. The fact that he hasn't tried anybody else, even though MC has had a couple of gaffes tells me that he doesn't have anybody else that he's comfortable with.

Reactions: savannahfan
I get the feeling that CJP is mainly concerned with having someone back there to secure the ball for his offense. The fact that he hasn't tried anybody else, even though MC has had a couple of gaffes tells me that he doesn't have anybody else that he's comfortable with.

I think you are correct. Catching a punt is not as easy as most of those guys make it look.

Reactions: savannahfan
MC is a good receiver but we saw him fumble last game on punt returns. We also saw coach JP yell at him the game before for not catching a punt and letting it bounce. Every other attempt is fair catches or low yardage returns. Do we have anyone that we might think could be better at the return game?

Being an elite punt returner is like being an elite receiver.The skill just comes more naturally for some than others. Few players have the ability to be elite in more than one discipline. They can be good at more than one but seldom elite at more than one. Mc is just an adequate punt returner. But he needs more guts to try not to fail. Seems to be fearful of making a mistake when a difficult effort is required.

The problem with most of the "fixes" on this thread are like name dropping celebrities. The first thing a punt returner must be is a punt catcher. I fell sure the staff has looked at many guys searching for first a punt catcher and then returner. When in high school I had the experience of being the practice catcher for a coach who had been as good a punter as their was in the country when he was in college. I can tell you not many people can catch a football that comes down toe first from sixty plus feet and from a distance of 70 plus yards. Let alone catch it on the run with tacklers bearing down on you.

Micah Abernathy led Evan Berry on his returns. He had the speed and probably learned what to do.

The freshman that has already coughed up the ball multiple times in 3 games is not someone I want returning punts...

That's called being young. Stretching for yards you don't need to stretch for. Has nothing to do with his running or vision. (Young guys will make mistakes. But he will learn from it)

Need to find the NEXT CP...

giphy.gif
BIG sigh. That's a bad man, right there. Baaaaad man.

What about maliek gray, latrell williams, alontae taylor, bryce thompson, byrd, or Murphy? I feel like having calloway out there is a risk anyway. Hes one of your leading recievers.
Latrell Williams should get a shot his whole recruitment tape was him returning punts he is shifty and is a burner have no idea how he would do on the college level but he is elusive and he needs to see the field someway screen pass or returning

VN Store

Back