DJ Durkin in trouble

It does in that the precedent has been set that a kid dying due to a coaches negligence doesn't always result in them being gone.
One was an accident...this was an accident waiting to happen. One was a bad decision...this was a horrible culture.

One was an accident...this was an accident waiting to happen. One was a bad decision...this was a horrible culture.
Sure. An accident stemming from negligence. I dont disagree about what went down at Maryland.

After watching Junction Boys, I feel pretty confident that Bryant would've caused the deaths of some 300+lb linemen had they existed back then.
I don't think they had many 300 pound football players in the '50s. Back before "platoon" football, the substitution rules were such that you had to play both offense and defense. Neyland hated platoon football and called it "chickensh*" football. Long story short, most of your football players back then had the physique of George Cafego (if you look up old pictures of him). Doug Atkins was a bruiser, but he was more like Frankenstein than Fat Albert.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Him being a degenerate gambler and alcoholic wouldn’t help either.
Yep. It's really interesting to think what would have happened to the Bear in today's world. Bear was infamous for the Junction Boys story. Does he even get the Alabama job, or coach again anywhere, in today's environment? From 1967 - 1970, he went 28-15-2 (14-11), didn't win the SEC, and went 0-3-1 in bowls. Does Alabama even let him hang around after such a run today, despite the fact he won 3 titles before that? I guarantee you if Saban went on a similar run today, they push him out the door into retirement. I also think the Bear went to rehab in 1977 or 1978 - again, he's absolutely fired if that happens today.

I hate that the player died, but the article is pretty much a bunch of players upset because they don't like the way the coaches talk to them. Bear Bryant wouldn't make it through a season in today's culture.
Yea throwing weights at people, and making players eat until they vomit, is totally normal behavior.

I don't think they had many 300 pound football players in the '50s. Back before "platoon" football, the substitution rules were such that you had to play both offense and defense. Neyland hated platoon football and called it "chickensh*" football. Long story short, most of your football players back then had the physique of George Cafego (if you look up old pictures of him). Doug Atkins was a bruiser, but he was more like Frankenstein than Fat Albert.

I found this video of George Cafego sharing his experience playing for Coach Neyland.

It seems he was as agitated with defensive backs not keeping ahead of the ball (or at least looking to see it) twenty years ago
as many were on here last season. He'd love Coach Pruitt, I think. Have a quick look and listen if you have time this morning. It's under two minutes, but well worth it to see how fired up he was about the secondary!

Yea throwing weights at people, and making players eat until they vomit, is totally normal behavior.
This is what is being missed along with standing over a player who passed out making fun of them. He needs to not be around coaching ever again. And he needs to be charged with man slaughter

Reactions: VolNExile
This is what is being missed along with standing over a player who passed out making fun of them. He needs to not be around coaching ever again. And he needs to be charged with man slaughter
We are talking about the S&C guy? Durkin didn’t do that...but he enabled the environment.

From all reports the S&C guy was the real nut case but yeah Durkin allowed it to go on

We are talking about the S&C guy? Durkin didn’t do that...but he enabled the environment.

Yeah. Ive heard some talking heads arguing over the idea that this on the SC and the counter to that is both should be held responsible to some degree.

Yeah. Ive heard some talking heads arguing over the idea that this on the SC and the counter to that is both should be held responsible to some degree.
If Durkin was going to be fired, it probably would have happened today. There's been reporting/allegations that he condoned the overall environment in the S&C program, but it sounds like the university found a fall guy today (and deservedly so - if that stuff is true about him he needs to be fired).

If Durkin was going to be fired, it probably would have happened today. There's been reporting/allegations that he condoned the overall environment in the S&C program, but it sounds like the university found a fall guy today (and deservedly so - if that stuff is true about him he needs to be fired).
Could very well happen.

I think his situation is more sticky than Meyer. I dont know that those above him will support him in the same manner that Urban is getting.

Looks like Durkin is gone -- as well as the AD and University president ---- maybe they can hire the 3 clowns UT got rid of for the same positions

VN Store

Back