DJ Durkin in trouble

You stupidly push kids to their limit, have a player die, and then get paid 5+ million after nearly keeping your job

Crazy world we live in.
I know I'll get the bye felicia response to this but I'm just about done w/ it. No prominent program is exempt from the big business approach to sports, where the ends justify the means. The pattern is obvious and I'm old enough to not give a toot. The whole Haslam-assery saga surrounding Butch/Currie/etc is a fishbone in my craw.

I mean seriously, we admire/hate coaches and AD's but they don't do much w/o the power brokers (Mass Effects reference) giving the nod and the deep pockets couldn't care less what a poor ridgerunner like me says. I guess it's fun to banter around but in the end, despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage.

I got real curious about Jordan's death, and I'm no doctor, but it sounds like it just wasn't all that hot outside when he got hurt. Easy to criticize, and I guess they should know to be afraid of heat stress, but I don't think I would have seen that coming. After the fact everybody is oh-so-much-smarter.

Whatever you all found in the report that made sense, I missed it. I remember running 10X 110 yard wind sprints in HS, and really that is not a long process. Was there more? That's all I read.

Last edited:
I got real curious about Jordan's death, and I'm no doctor, but it sounds like it just wasn't all that hot outside when he got hurt. Easy to criticize, and I guess they should know to be afraid of heat stress, but I don't think I would have seen that coming. After the fact everybody is oh-so-much-smarter.

Whatever you all found in the report that made sense, I missed it. I remember running 10X 110 yard wind sprints in HS, and really that is not a long process. Was their more? That's all I read.

The problem is that the trainers ignored the signs of distress. You don't make assessments based upon the heat or the activities being performed. You base it on the symptoms being presented. They ignored it for an hour, and by the time he got the hospital is temp was 108. His brain would have been fried well before that, and they took no steps to cool him down.

Reactions: roosterjbh
The problem is that the trainers ignored the signs of distress. You don't make assessments based upon the heat or the activities being performed. You base it on the symptoms being presented. They ignored it for an hour, and by the time he got the hospital is temp was 108. His brain would have been fried well before that, and they took no steps to cool him down.

I don't think Durkin is directly responsible for that. The sports medicine department works with coaches not for the coaches.

I don't think Durkin is directly responsible for that. The sports medicine department works with coaches not for the coaches.

He's responsible for the BS culture that permeated that program. The death was only the most tragic of the myriad issues that were going on.

People are already clamoring for him as their defensive coordinator smh

Lol at muschamp for having this pos on his staff for 4 yrs

I’m at the Michigan St-Maryland game. Never been in a football setting with so little interest

If they replace a Meyer assistant with another Meyer assistant, they are so thoroughly stupid that they should just shut down their program.

I remember thinking something similar when, immediately post-Paterno/Sandusky, Penn State hired Franklin, a coach who just had a rape controversy hit on his watch at Vandy.

VN Store

Back