DJ Burns visit went "very, very well"

We know it wasn't you because some nerd behind a computer says he is a 4 star!!! 😎

Well the old Ziti would have said it’s not exactly a crap shoot when these players all play each other in AAU. So it’s not by accident this guy is a top 100 player by multiple services.

Having said that....we all know that this guy being ranked high means nothing. Not any more important than landing a guy like Zack Kent over teams like northwestern. I mean look at all the high level recruits on teams that lost to Rick Barnes and his squad this year. Also this isn’t really an important class so it’s not a big deal to be honest right?

Well the old Ziti would have said it’s not exactly a crap shoot when these players all play each other in AAU. So it’s not by accident this guy is a top 100 player by multiple services.

Having said that....we all know that this guy being ranked high means nothing. Not any more important than landing a guy like Zack Kent over teams like northwestern. I mean look at all the high level recruits on teams that lost to Rick Barnes and his squad this year. Also this isn’t really an important class so it’s not a big deal to be honest right?

image.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
I love the guy because we targeted him very early on. We know everything about this guy and he is our priority so I am all in.

I don't give a damn what his ranking is.

Reactions: 1 person
I love the guy because we targeted him very early on. We know everything about this guy and he is our priority so I am all in.

Ah, now Bruin. You know you can't like guys for that reason. You know that prioritizing a guy and landing him isn't the way to go.

Don't go falling in love with him. The real gold of the 2019 class won't be known until next April/May. Barnes may purposely "miss" on this guy to hold out for a bigger get next spring.

Ah, now Bruin. You know you can't like guys for that reason. You know that prioritizing a guy and landing him isn't the way to go.

Don't go falling in love with him. The real gold of the 2019 class won't be known until next April/May. Barnes may purposely "miss" on this guy to hold out for a bigger get next spring.

Dude, just give it a rest.

Nope. Ziti is committed to being a prick at this point. He is big-time triggered and this new persona is only further proof. Anyone that would invest that amount of time in intentionally being an annoying dick obviously just enjoys being the villain. Troll city at this point.

I don't know if it's been discussed or not but, Burns could actually graduate in the summer and enroll a year early. However, Barnes isn't really pushing him to because, they are very confident in landing him and also the depth of bigs down low ATM.

I don't know if it's been discussed or not but, Burns could actually graduate in the summer and enroll a year early. However, Barnes isn't really pushing him to because, they are very confident in landing him and also the depth of bigs down low ATM.

It has been discussed a little bit on here, my thought is that it likely depends on how we close the ‘18 class. Instead of reaching on someone in June it would seemingly make more sense to have Burns enroll at Tennessee and take a redshirt year.

Reactions: 1 person
It has been discussed a little bit on here, my thought is that it likely depends on how we close the ‘18 class. Instead of reaching on someone in June it would seemingly make more sense to have Burns enroll at Tennessee and take a redshirt year.

Thought about that. But if you are Burns do you wanna push up your clock and enroll early just to take a RS?

Give what a rest? I wanted us to target guys early and land them. When we didn’t do that and we missed I was told that was all part of it and Barnes is going after coachable players and getting who he wants.

Can’t have it both ways. Glad I’m on the right side of the argument now with the rest of the board.

Thought about that. But if you are Burns do you wanna push up your clock and enroll early just to take a RS?

For him as a basketball player I would think so, but I don’t know him personally so I won’t guarantee it. There is no match for him getting into a college program, both getting to practice every day with him teammates and learning what Barnes expects and also getting into the nutrition and strength and conditionin program as well.

I see no way he’s not a better player come 19-20 season if he is here for a year than coming in as a normal freshman would.

Give what a rest? I wanted us to target guys early and land them. When we didn’t do that and we missed I was told that was all part of it and Barnes is going after coachable players and getting who he wants.

Can’t have it both ways. Glad I’m on the right side of the argument now with the rest of the board.

I’m not sure anyone has ever said targeting and missing a player was Rick Barnes’ plan.

For him as a basketball player I would think so, but I don’t know him personally so I won’t guarantee it. There is no match for him getting into a college program, both getting to practice every day with him teammates and learning what Barnes expects and also getting into the nutrition and strength and conditionin program as well.

I see no way he’s not a better player come 19-20 season if he is here for a year than coming in as a normal freshman would.

No doubt. But as a 17 year old kid that is a tough sell. Miss out on your senior year just to hurry up and redshirt.

No doubt. But as a 17 year old kid that is a tough sell. Miss out on your senior year just to hurry up and redshirt.

No doubt, and again not sure of his feelings on the matter...but it’s not unheard of for kids to go back for their prom or to walk the stage, believe Stokes did that.

No doubt, and again not sure of his feelings on the matter...but it’s not unheard of for kids to go back for their prom or to walk the stage, believe Stokes did that.

Yeah, but Stokes didn't redshirt. Neither did Trey Smith who went back for prom.

That's what I'm getting at. Why rush into college only to redshirt? Not saying he wont' do it. Just saying it's a tough sell IYAM.

It was just part of it. Barnes gets who Barnes wants in the end. Spurn us in the fall signing and we will just find someone better in the spring.

I think it was more people taking the approach that while we missed on some of our main targets we still found guys with potential and to date have shown an ability to develop them. Alexander, Turner were late adds in ‘15, Bowden was a late add in ‘16...too early to make a final decision but Walker, Kent and Pons were late adds in ‘17.

So again, I don’t think anyone claimed that the strategy was to target guys for years and intentionally miss on them as you suggested, to me it’s more about what you do from there...do you end up with someone like the guys CCM ended up filling classes with? Or do you still find guys who you believe fit what you’re doing and that you believe you can develop.

Yeah, but Stokes didn't redshirt. Neither did Trey Smith who went back for prom.

That's what I'm getting at. Why rush into college only to redshirt? Not saying he wont' do it. Just saying it's a tough sell IYAM.

Didn’t Diallo do it at UK? Or am I misremembering?

I think it was more people taking the approach that while we missed on some of our main targets we still found guys with potential and to date have shown an ability to develop them. Alexander, Turner were late adds in ‘15, Bowden was a late add in ‘16...too early to make a final decision but Walker, Kent and Pons were late adds in ‘17.

So again, I don’t think anyone claimed that the strategy was to target guys for years and intentionally miss on them as you suggested, to me it’s more about what you do from there...do you end up with someone like the guys CCM ended up filling classes with? Or do you still find guys who you believe fit what you’re doing and that you believe you can develop.

Right. So getting Burns isn't a big deal at all. We could just as easily land a Grant Williams in the fall or even in the spring everyone else overlooked. Those guys will ALWAYS be available whenever we need them. Spring, fall, summer...

VN Store

Back