Deficit up 17%

This is a horrible perspective. Government is fiscally irresponsible for decades. Forces a collapse. Spends more we don't have. Forces another catastrophe in the future. Bad plan.

Thought you might find this very interesting as it is not getting much attention. I am just learning the fundamentals and find the comments pretty good, ie The Fed can now be audited, debt wiped away, etc. Give it a look and let me know your thoughts if you can.

The Fed's Cure Risks Being Worse Than the Disease

Thought you might find this very interesting as it is not getting much attention. I am just learning the fundamentals and find the comments pretty good, ie The Fed can now be audited, debt wiped away, etc. Give it a look and let me know your thoughts if you can.

The Fed's Cure Risks Being Worse Than the Disease
I am not a financial markets expert. In full disclosure, my eyes glaze over when too many acronyms are tossed about. I also do not know if the author, Jim Bianco, has a good track record with opinions.

With that said, it is concerning the Fed is nationalizing "large swaths of the financial markets" and combining the Fed and Treasury into one entity. The Treasury in control of the printing presses means artificial support of the markets. But it impossible to go one forever. Eventually, the individual investors lose confidence and pull out. I suspect if that were to happen, the Treasury-Fed would pump more money in to bolster. The runaway train will be in motion by that point.

My gut reaction is : back in the Great Depression, the federal government overtook control of the banking industry. You may have heard old timers talk about the "Banker's Holiday". FDIC is a remnant of the measures taken back then. The fed also confiscated (required it to be sold to the government for less than actual value) gold held privately from citizens. It looks like the same approach to me except the Fed wants to control financial markets rather than individual banks and precious metals.

If Bianco is accurate, this is a dire omen.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I am not a financial markets expert. In full disclosure, my eyes glaze over when too many acronyms are tossed about. I also do not know if the author, Jim Bianco, has a good track record with opinions.

With that said, it is concerning the Fed is nationalizing "large swaths of the financial markets" and combining the Fed and Treasury into one entity. The Treasury in control of the printing presses means artificial support of the markets. But it impossible to go one forever. Eventually, the individual investors lose confidence and pull out. I suspect if that were to happen, the Treasury-Fed would pump more money in to bolster. The runaway train will be in motion by that point.

My gut reaction is : back in the Great Depression, the federal government overtook control of the banking industry. You may have heard old timers talk about the "Banker's Holiday". FDIC is a remnant of the measures taken back then. The fed also confiscated (required it to be sold to the government for less than actual value) gold held privately from citizens. It looks like the same approach to me except the Fed wants to control financial markets rather than individual banks and precious metals.

If Bianco is accurate, this is a dire omen.

I am such a financial and monetary novice, it does not take much to make it complicated. I will say the more complicated it is the more ominous it typically will be in reality. If I understand this correctly, this could wipe a large part of the debt away, but with resulting inflation or hyperinflation.
Now if we could get back to the gold standard, that may result in this being a good thing. IDK.

You know it really is all a house of cards IMO anyways just waiting for the right moment. It is the security and trust that you mention that is the only thing holding it up.

Different topic, but thinking back to 2009, I wonder why all those mortgages were not backed up by mortgage insurance. If you do not put 20% down you had to have the insurance. You would think especially on the sub prime loans.

Reactions: McDad
I am such a financial and monetary novice, it does not take much to make it complicated. I will say the more complicated it is the more ominous it typically will be in reality. If I understand this correctly, this could wipe a large part of the debt away, but with resulting inflation or hyperinflation.
Now if we could get back to the gold standard, that may result in this being a good thing. IDK.

You know it really is all a house of cards IMO anyways just waiting for the right moment. It is the security and trust that you mention that is the only thing holding it up.

Different topic, but thinking back to 2009, I wonder why all those mortgages were not backed up by mortgage insurance. If you do not put 20% down you had to have the insurance. You would think especially on the sub prime loans.
Hyperinflation is the concern. Imagine the circumstances present when other countries hyperinflated (Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Austria, etc) present right now in America.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Why do you guys worry about the debt? It's not like you're ever going to be taxed to death to pay it back.

Hyperinflation is the concern. Imagine the circumstances present when other countries hyperinflated (Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Austria, etc) present right now in America.
Look at your list of hyperinflated countries. What currency is Austria using?

Why do you guys worry about the debt? It's not like you're ever going to be taxed to death to pay it back.

I am not worried about the principle as much as the interest payments, which is not far from becoming the largest budget item at $500B/year and rising.

Look at your list of hyperinflated countries. What currency is Austria using?
Excellent point. The only way out of hyperinflation is to switch from the hyperinflated currency to another.

Because arithmetic is rule not even our government can get around.
China has been doing it for a while. Whenever Trump imposed tariffs on them they just changed their currency valuation to make it a non-issue. We do the same thing except we control the currency standard of most of the world. Dollars are just a way to exchange goods like oil or ventilators. It doesn't matter how much we owe just like it didn't matter at the end of WWII how much money we owed and how much money was owed to us.

China has been doing it for a while. Whenever Trump imposed tariffs on them they just changed their currency valuation to make it a non-issue. We do the same thing except we control the currency standard of most of the world. Dollars are just a way to exchange goods like oil or ventilators. It doesn't matter how much we owe just like it didn't matter at the end of WWII how much money we owed and how much money was owed to us.
I disagree.

Inflation is a hidden tax. Every dollar you own is devalued. So instead of the government taking some of your money, they accomplish essentially the same result of diminishing you wealth by devaluing what you have. People who have been responsible savers are hit the worst.

Reactions: Orangeslice13

Jfc, man

We wont control the currency standard of most of the world the moment they perceive risk in holding American dollars. We are inching dangerously close to that reality.

I am not worried about the principle as much as the interest payments, which is not far from becoming the largest budget item at $500B/year and rising.

Issue all of that negative interest rate debt and replace all of what's currently on the government's balance sheet. Then it's on the revenue side. Boom!

And remember how the tax cuts were going to pay for themselves!

They are. Govt is taking in record numbers before coronavirus hit. Check the numbers. They’re there.

Fighting 2 wars Trump opposed. Numerous other major crisis. Dems control the House. Wasted billions on bogus investigations & impeachment.

The spineless, feckless, weasels we've voted as our representatives are doing all they can to avoid blood on their hands; whether that blood be from Covid19, recession, depression, or complete collapse of our monetary system is secondary to them.
I agree..... the slimey buggers are no better than the stain on my toilet tissue

Reactions: McDad
Social Security has been funded from general revenues for years. That’s why it’s considered “entitlement”. If you’re surprised, you’re part of the problem.

Correct, Social Security is an entitlement. Those that paid into Social Security and Medicare are entitled to the benefits that they paid for. Welfare is different... recipients must prove their eligibility and it is generally based on income. SNAP, SSI, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax credits and such are welfare programs.

Social Security benefits have been funded by the payroll taxes on employees and employers and by drawing down the surplus that had been built up in the trust fund. The surplus is projected to run out in less than 10 years unless the payroll tax rate is increased or the benefits are cut or delayed. I believe that what has been going on for years is that some of the general fiscal budget deficits have been funded by borrowing from the trust fund.

Liberals should be thrilled that Trump is proposing to eliminate the payroll taxes (at least the half paid for by employees). By instead funding it from the general revenues it then becomes a progressive tax that is disproportionately paid for by wealthier tax payers. But the liberals would rather attack Trump and ignore that part.

VN Store

Back