Debuts of HC’s We Wanted & Didn’t Get

Oh so now getting the guys you want and need to run a specific type of system is a theory? Wow.
Yeah...that’s right. Recruiting was never the issue with Mora. And Kelly managed to land the QB he desired out of Bishop Gorman. Here’s another working theory...he SUCKS as a recruiter! And this time he doesn’t have Frost and Helfrich to land good talent. He better embrace what Mora left him, because the future prospects ain’t looking too great.

You forgot Lane Kiffin... 2-1 with a loss to OK. They will be conference champions this season.

Once Fulmer became AD, Kiffin was NOT an option. Imo, that is actually for the best long term, although short term, yea, he would have generated some excitement, and headlines, and drama, one way or the other.

It’s a little early to be patting ourselves on the back.

After Pruitt doesn’t win a game in October other teams will be relieved they didn’t hire him, too.

Reminder: Jon Gruden, who most on here were ready to offer their firstborn for, is 0-2 on the season. Just wanted to mention that.

It’s a little early to be patting ourselves on the back.

After Pruitt doesn’t win a game in October other teams will be relieved they didn’t hire him, too.
Thought no one else wanted him? 😏

He's toast at Nebraska. Unless he can reestablish a talent pipeline back into California again, and that is unlikely as most of the PAC teams including Cal Berkeley surprisingly, are very interested in football again. There was a time at Cal two things would make you an outcast on campus. The first was wearing your ROTC gear and the other was being a football player on scholly. Nebraska is not going to get a lot of the quality players out of there these days.
Nebraska was Nebraska because their corn fed O-line and O-lime. Not some imaginary pipeline into Cali.

I simply stated that we would still be 2-1 regardless of which QB we played. Since you are looking for a debate and I'm not in the mood, let me spell it out for you. We, the UT Vols, would be 2-1 at this point in the season regardless of what QB on our roster, not a QB on the Neb roster, we trotted out there against the opponents we played. The opponents we have played should not be confused with opponents Neb has played.

Our existing schedule, sure, but if we had to play Troy, with Zac Jancek in as QB, that's a different story.

Not sure why you are trying to equate Nebraska having to play a walk-on QB against Troy, as the same if we had to play Jancek against ETSU or UTEP, unless you just failed to comprehend the OP's assertion that Frost was a bad hire because of the loss to Troy.

Sounds about like what I remember, It was a crazy time so can't remember all of it I guess. Seems to me it was- pipe dream Gruden, Realistic - Mullen, Norvall, Leach and for some reason Dave Doreon kept being brought up and who could forget Shiano

Gruden is 0-2. I know it’s the NFL but still some people banged that drum so loud and long it was annoying. Overall all of our “picks” for HC have not had any early success no matter where they landed.

with Urban Meyer out for 3 games at OSU... because Shiano was such a great candidate one would think he would have stepped into that role as interm HC. Lol. Nope. Not even OSU used him as interm HC.

Reactions: lifeVol
I wanted Tee Martin if they were willing to take a chance on an assistant but Pruitt is ok with me. But since i knew they were going to go cheap i was wanting to at least give a shot to Mike Houston. What he has done at James Madison he can build something. Sooner or later when he gets his shot he will make a very good hire.
I was with you on the Mike Houston train. Have seen him coach with my own eyes and know some personal friends of his. Would have loved to had him here. I think he did get a few D-1 offers this past offseason but chose to sign a lengthy extension at JMU. Total speculation on my part but I could see him leading JMU when/if they make the jump to FCS much like Satterfield at Appalachain St.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
I wanted Tee Martin if they were willing to take a chance on an assistant but Pruitt is ok with me. But since i knew they were going to go cheap i was wanting to at least give a shot to Mike Houston. What he has done at James Madison he can build something. Sooner or later when he gets his shot he will make a very good hire.

As a head coach, Tee was not rea

I would have been fine with Frost, but it was clear to all that if the Nebraska job was offered to him, he would take it. Can't blame him for that, and his departure from UCF was first-class (stayed for the bowl game).

Frost faces a rebuilding job on par with, if not bigger than, the one at UT. Doesn't he have a walk-on starting at QB?

Come back in 2 or 3 years and see where Frost has that Nebraska team.

Go Vols.

He took his 13-0 QB with him from UCF? or maybe not never mind

Gruden is 0-2. I know it’s the NFL but still some people banged that drum so loud and long it was annoying. Overall all of our “picks” for HC have not had any early success no matter where they landed.

with Urban Meyer out for 3 games at OSU... because Shiano was such a great candidate one would think he would have stepped into that role as interm HC. Lol. Nope. Not even OSU used him as interm HC.
I agree, Gruden was never going to happen anyway some got sucked into the possibility, Schiano would've been a horrible hire even if you took the Sandusky situation out of the equation. I liked the idea of Leach if for nothing else his press conferences are fantastic but he is a good offensive mind and with the right d coordinator probably could've had some success. I'm perfectly happy with Pruitt and Co so all ended ok imo.

Reactions: Aday25
Jeff freakin Brohm, 0-3 $3.8 million per year......bawahaha

Context matters...

brohm.png

Gruden = Turrible

The game has passed him by
The Raiders are a strange franchise. They're paying Gruden $10 million per year even though he hadn't coached in 9 years but then balked at signing Khalil Mack to a new contract? I don't understand why the people of Oakland still go to their games.

We're dancin' with the girl we brought, and I have a feeling that all but those of you who just can't get over your Gruden/Schiano/Kelly/Frost/Elvis love will eventually realize that we got the best guy.

Go Vols.

I honestly never saw anyone mention Taggart as an option, that I can remember.

A few folks mentioned Frost, but mostly acknowledging that he was probably going to Nebraska.

A few more mentioned Kelly, but I never got the impression that many were serious about him.

The big names on this board (each with at least as many detractors as proponents) were Gruden, Mullen, Miles, Kiffin, and--once Currie started talking to him--Leach.

Kelly would be a distant 6th behind those, with Frost even further in the background. Taggart non-existent.

That's how I recall it, anyway.
Total Recall.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Yeah...that’s right. Recruiting was never the issue with Mora. And Kelly managed to land the QB he desired out of Bishop Gorman. Here’s another working theory...he SUCKS as a recruiter! And this time he doesn’t have Frost and Helfrich to land good talent. He better embrace what Mora left him, because the future prospects ain’t looking too great.

Moras recruiting is not the point. Kelly was a big system guy and he needed specific guys to fit that system. Now, if he walked into a roster full of guys that dont fit that, how do you reckon he fixes that in 1 year? He cannot. He is in the same situation as Pruitt in a way. Kellys system works in college. There is no denying that. And when he gets the guys he thinks he needs to run it, they will be good again. But to say getting the guys you want to run your system is nothing but a theory is dumb.

VN Store

Back