Dartmouth men's basketball team votes to unionize in historic moment for college sports

It's the Ivy Leagues. For the most part, they tolerate sports, but in many instances "athletes" at those schools are looked down upon by the academic side. There's some resentment in that most of those players are seen as unworthy of admission and they gained entry by the "sports backdoor". They aren't "paid". They don't get scholarships. They certainly aren't employees. Sure not a money maker. If Darmouth shut down the program, I doubt many would lose a minute of sleep over it. Good luck with this, but this seems poorly thought out.

It's the Ivy Leagues. For the most part, they tolerate sports, but in many instances "athletes" at those schools are looked down upon by the academic side. There's some resentment in that most of those players are seen as unworthy of admission and they gained entry by the "sports backdoor". They aren't "paid". They don't get scholarships. They certainly aren't employees. Sure not a money maker. If Darmouth shut down the program, I doubt many would lose a minute of sleep over it. Good luck with this, but this seems poorly thought out.
I don't completely disagree, but I will note that Dartmouth has traditionally been the jock school among the Ivies, in that there's a strong tradition and more people (including alumni) support the program.

Might have changed since I knew people there, of course.

Reactions: RockyTopRiot
So, if they succeed and are treated/considered as employees wouldn't that change a boat load of things for them as employee students. Subject to eligible state employment standards like conduct, performance reviews, terminations, etc. Have they thought this through that it may become more retrictive on them as employees than as student athletes. THey eill be opening a can of worms if they achieve employee status. Lot's of labor law ramifications come into play. THe school could then outline job performance metrics for on court play, work ethics, etc., and really kick up a notch.

I can't believe these players are that stupid. Unless the administration is in cahoots (and they probably are) why would they not shut down the basketball program and have no employees. Last year their total attendance was less than 20K - not per game - total for the entire year.
UT's club hockey team probably had greater attendance.
I also suspect that you'd be better entertained at a local HS boys (or girls) basketball game than a Dartmouth game.
I don't think the student athletes understand that once they are under contract, and getting paid, the fans expect something for their money and they can expect the fan provided NIL to go away.
Business is business, and sport is sport.

So, if they succeed and are treated/considered as employees wouldn't that change a boat load of things for them as employee students. Subject to eligible state employment standards like conduct, performance reviews, terminations, etc. Have they thought this through that it may become more retrictive on them as employees than as student athletes. THey eill be opening a can of worms if they achieve employee status. Lot's of labor law ramifications come into play. THe school could then outline job performance metrics for on court play, work ethics, etc., and really kick up a notch.
I can't wait for a bigger school's players to try this and watch as players are "fired" by the university for doing things like smoking weed. Not because I care either way about weed use, but because I think watching college kids try to have their cake and eat it too is always funny.

Reactions: GVF
I can't wait for a bigger school's players to try this and watch as players are "fired" by the university for doing things like smoking weed. Not because I care either way about weed use, but because I think watching college kids try to have their cake and eat it too is always funny.
Toss 'em in the deep end and be done with it. Or just, in the case of an Ivy program, just shut the sports down.

I can't believe these players are that stupid. Unless the administration is in cahoots (and they probably are) why would they not shut down the basketball program and have no employees. Last year their total attendance was less than 20K - not per game - total for the entire year.
UT's club hockey team probably had greater attendance.
I also suspect that you'd be better entertained at a local HS boys (or girls) basketball game than a Dartmouth game.
I don't think the student athletes understand that once they are under contract, and getting paid, the fans expect something for their money and they can expect the fan provided NIL to go away.
Business is business, and sport is sport.
Interesting point. Would an employee be NIL eligible.

VN Store

Back