Gator fans smell like **** thread

A handful of folks on VN.com are strangely enamoured of Dan Mullen. They think, for some odd reason, that he proved himself a football savant at Mississippi State (and a "QB whisperer" at previous stops before becoming head coach).

Here are the best three coaches in MSU's 114 years of football:

#1 - Allyn McKeen (1939-1948) - 65-19-3 (76% win rate), with 1 SEC title (1941) -- Miss State's closest match to Neyland
#2 - Jackie Sherrill (1991-2003) - 180-120-4 (60%), with 1 SEC-West title (1998) -- Miss State's closest thing to Phil Fulmer
#3 - Dan Mullen (2009-2017) - 69-46 (60%), with no titles -- Miss State's Johnny Majors, maybe a little better

Why is Jackie ahead of Dan, with their win rates so closely matched? The division title, that's the only real difference. Jackie reportedly played a little looser with the rules, but was never caught doing anything.

So Dan's a good coach. I wouldn't call him awesome. I certainly did not want him as our next coach last fall/winter.

A little too much hype around him, thanks to his "QB whisperer" legend.

I'm not enamoured with Mullen but Sherrill wasn't 180-120 at Miss St. That might be his career record but I think he was 75-75 at Miss St.

However their first 9 years are very similar. Sherrill won 59% of his games in his first 9 years at Miss St. (if my math is right. I'm doing this on my phone and it's not the easiest to work with). Sherrill bottomed out his final three years and thats why his record sunk to .500.

Last edited:
I'm not enamoured with Mullen but Sherrill wasn't 180-120 at Miss St. That might be his career record but I think he was 75-75 at Miss St.

However their first 9 years are very similar. Sherrill won 59% of his games in his first 9 years at Miss St. (if my math is right. I'm doing this on my phone and it's not the easiest to work with). Sherrill bottomed out his final three years and thats why his record sunk to .500.

Oh, yeah, my bad Deeble. Thanks for catching it. That was indeed his overall record as a head coach.

So flip-flop them, and say Dan Mullen was their #2, closest thing they had to a Fulmer (but without the SEC and national titles, and a significantly lower win rate), and Sherrill was their #3 / Johnny Majors.

Surprised Florida hired a 60% type coach. Guess they are going to focus more on that women's gym team.

Reactions: butchna
A handful of folks on VN.com are strangely enamoured of Dan Mullen. They think, for some odd reason, that he proved himself a football savant at Mississippi State (and a "QB whisperer" at previous stops before becoming head coach).

#1 - Allyn McKeen (1939-1948) - 65-19-3 (76% win rate), with 1 SEC title (1941) -- Miss State's closest match to Neyland
#2 - Jackie Sherrill (1991-2003) - 180-120-4 (60%), with 1 SEC-West title (1998) -- Miss State's closest thing to Phil Fulmer
#3 - Dan Mullen (2009-2017) - 69-46 (60%), with no titles -- Miss State's Johnny Majors, maybe a little better

Why is Jackie ahead of Dan, with their win rates so closely matched? The division title, that's the only real difference. Jackie reportedly played a little looser with the rules, but was never caught doing anything.

So Dan's a good coach. I wouldn't call him awesome. I certainly did not want him as our next coach last fall/winter.

Mullen had to go through a much tougher divison than either of his predecessors.

Mullen had success at what has typically been a bottom feeder SEC school In Miss St. Now he's at an SEC powerhouse in a talent rich state. I don't see the comparison. Don't get me wrong, now that he coaches the Gators, I despise Mullen, but he's still 100x the coach Butch Jones is/was.

Honestly, as a program, it’s win percentage has it at the very bottom. Even after Mullen’s string of elevated success, the program sits at an overall win percentage of 49.2% of its games; they’re just now reaching a range of approaching Kentucky and Vanderbilt (who are each 12 to 13 losses below having a 50% win percentage as programs).

Check out their current class. Moorehead renovate the burg? Mullen sucks at recruiting.
Currently 9th in the SEC, Dan Mullen's last three classes at MSU were 9, 11, and 8. and it was only that 8th ranked class that took a full 25 (26 actually), the others were 21 and 19.

seems like Moorehead is on par with ole Mullen, #killinit

Currently 9th in the SEC, Dan Mullen's last three classes at MSU were 9, 11, and 8. and it was only that 8th ranked class that took a full 25 (26 actually), the others were 21 and 19.

seems like Moorehead is on par with ole Mullen, #killinit
We’re doing last 3, huh? Is Mullen’s Gators still in the 30’s? Not killin it.

We’re doing last 3, huh? Is Mullen’s Gators still in the 30’s? Not killin it.
Moorehead has 16 recruits, 6 4stars, 10 3 stars (38% 4 stars)
Florida has 12 recruits, 5 4 stars, 7 stars (42% 4 stars)
#killinit

wouldn't put either up against Pruitt in recruiting.

I believe He'll do good at Florida. He took MST all the way to#1 a couple of years ago. And he's in a great place for recruiting.

So you don’t think he’s great with QBs?

Fitzgerald, Dak, Alex Smith that’s 3 guys right there who weren’t rated high and took a lot of coaching

Hell he’s got 2 full time legit starters in the nfl

Reactions: Volatility
Moorehead has 16 recruits, 6 4stars, 10 3 stars (38% 4 stars)
Florida has 12 recruits, 5 4 stars, 7 stars (42% 4 stars)
#killinit

wouldn't put either up against Pruitt in recruiting.
Kicking that supposed recruiting wasteland Starkville by 4 percentage points! Wowzers!! Where’s Florida ranked in recruiting? #Fizzleschnizel

Fitzgerald, Dak, Alex Smith that’s 3 guys right there who weren’t rated high and took a lot of coaching

At QB?

Mullen had success at what has typically been a bottom feeder SEC school In Miss St. Now he's at an SEC powerhouse in a talent rich state. I don't see the comparison. Don't get me wrong, now that he coaches the Gators, I despise Mullen, but he's still 100x the coach Butch Jones is/was.
This..^...but of coach Mullen I will say, put that face and hairstyle on a wooden ventriloquist's doll....you've got a an act.

I think that’s way too extreme. Honestly let’s put it this way. Mullen is a proven good coach. Pruitt has potential to be a good coach. That’s the difference. However I do think Mullen has a ceiling that Pruitt can surpass in the long run.

Oh, he's been good with QBs. And lucky, that plays in as well. But there is no question he can develop a QB.

Problem, though: head football coaches at major programs don't develop QBs. They're way too busy for that.

So how is he has a head coach? Answer: roughly as good as Jackie Sherrill, but without a division title.

That's all I'm saying. His time at Mississippi State is no proof of a head coach on fire. Good. Not astounding.

Oh, he's been good with QBs. And lucky, that plays in as well. But there is no question he can develop a QB.

Problem, though: head football coaches at major programs don't develop QBs. They're way too busy for that.

So how is he has a head coach? Answer: roughly as good as Jackie Sherrill, but without a division title.

That's all I'm saying. His time at Mississippi State is no proof of a head coach on fire. Good. Not astounding.
Sherrill was .500 Mullen was 69-46

Also Mullen left Miss st in much better shap. Moorehead inherits a loaded defense and a very good veteran QB

Pretty sure Mullen does work with the QBs a lot

His QB coach Brian Johnson played for him he was the QB on that Utah team that killed Bama in the bowl game back in 08 I believe

As important as QB has been for Miss st esp with Dak and Fitzgerald under center you better believe any coach worth a damn is gonna do what they have to getting them ready

Last edited:
Sherrill was .500 Mullen was 69-46

Also Mullen left Miss st in much better shap. Moorehead inherits a loaded defense and a very good veteran QB

Pretty sure Mullen does work with the QBs a lot

His QB coach Brian Johnson played for him he was the QB on that Utah team that killed Bama in the bowl game back in 08 I believe

As important as QB has been for Miss st esp with Dak and Fitzgerald under center you better believe any coach worth a damn is gonna do what they have to getting them ready

Mississippi State is a power 5 program, an SEC program. In that sense, it's "big time." But it is an order of magnitude below the demands at Florida. The student body in Gainesville--just the students--is 10,000 more people than the entire town of Starkville, MS. The Jacksonville metro area has a population that equals half the entire state of Mississippi. And Jacksonville is not even one of the three biggest cities in Florida. The Tampa-St Pete metro area is the same population as the entire state of Mississippi. The demands on a head coach are just night and day between the two places.

So I don't think he's gonna have time to spend fine-tuning his QBs at his new home. That's a luxury of his past that probably won't carry through. OR, maybe knowing QB whispering is his one shot at continued success, he will force time for it, and will consequently suffer in other ways, like failing to manage his players and coaches.

Anyway, we may have to agree to disagree for now. Within 3 years, we'll know how Mullen does at a top-tier Power 5 program, with all the distractions and time demands placed on a head coach there.

VN Store

Back