Dale Ellis off the court issues?

Fingers

When asked if Dale Ellis could be the next Vol to have his jersey retired, Terry Fair mentioned that Ellis had some off-court issues that could prevent that. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?

Back in the day of the big C-band satellite dish, we would watch Dale on sports uplinks for the local Seattle television channel who carried the Sonics locally in Seattle area and it seemed he had a tough stretch with alcohol abuse. I never heard them mention any drug problems. One year they were an 8 seed out west and made to the conference championship series against Magic and the lakers. Xman Xavier McDaniel, Tom Chambers and Dale were a force. They really a wide open style team and not much defense. One thing about Dale he could shoot the 3 consistently.

Especially from a guy who breaks his neck to defend Goodrich any chance he gets.

Exactly. And if the moral standard is that high, Bernard would have had problems.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I remember seeing Dale in a black Jaguar on campus when a couple of guys were playing pickup ball on the outdoor courts at UT. That was about 82 or 83 I think. Everyone joked about a college kid with a new Jag 2 door and other issues. Nonetheless, welcome to amateur sports.

Man, could that guy play the game. For a good flashback, go to Youtube and watch the UT vs AU game replay with Ellis and Barkley. Studs both of them.

If we're going to bring in off the court issues, we should probably bring down Bernie's jersey just to be consistent.

Yep, talking head talking. Nothing coming out but hot air to attract listeners. Dale's jersey goes up next.

This story is 9 years old, surely he has resolved this problem by now! :unsure:

Don't know if he's resolved the issue, but it happened in '89 as well (as the story tells). The OP just asked what the off-court issues are and this is what they are.

If we're going to bring in off the court issues, we should probably bring down Bernie's jersey just to be consistent.
Agreed. And he was stoOpid about it to boot, stealing from the dorms. :blink: If there is a reason to keep his jersey slung, it's because BK turned into such an articulate, fine individual after being a slug and a thief.

VN Store

Back