Could it be time for Dobbs?

So Big Ben suffered through a horrible day in the tie with the Browns and now he has an injured elbow, but no big deal says Tomlin. Maybe, maybe not.

And Dobbs survived a lot of talk about trades or perhaps being third string and is the No. 2 man on the Steelers' depth chart. Landry Jones is gone, the more highly touted Mason Rudolph is No. 3.

C'mon D4H, fill us in. Is it time for our guy to shine? I for one would love to see him get a chance.

I missed the actual Steelers vs. Browns game, but I watched it later on the internet. All of the interceptions were Ben's fault. No tipped balls. No receivers running the wrong routes. No slippery, wet ball.
Every season, Ben has a game like that, so he already got that bad game for this season out of the way.
Also, every season, Ben missed a game or two because he is not very durable. So, at some point, Dobbs will start one or two games this season. I just hope it is not against Kansas City, New England or Baltimore. Those are hard games even with Ben, so we don't need those to be the games that Dobbs gets his feet wet.

I can't stand the steelers and especially ben RAPElesbugger.

I'll also never hope that any player gets hurt.

I do hope that Dobbs will get his chances to start and that when he does he'll be so great that Tomlin will be forced to keep starting him for the next 10 years or longer.

I wish that Dobbs was the backup for my Titans.

VFL...GBO!!!

I live in Nashville but I must confess, I think the Titans are a joke but I go to some of there games each season. I go to the games to see the other team though. Not the Titans.
It seems every year, there are predictions on what the Titans will do. These predications all come from the NFL experts.
If Titans are predicted to win the division, then they end up getting a Wild Card. If the Titans are predicted to be a Wild Card, then they miss the play offs.
I recall when Manning missed the season in Indy. The Titans played pretty good that year, but they lost to the Colts, with Curt Painter as q.b. and were eliminated from play off contention. After the game, they said, "Man we are good but next year will be our year for sure"
What a loser attitude. The division was the Titans for the taking in a year that the division was weak. Houston had a bad q.b. Indy had no q.b. and Jacksonville was bad. Yet the Titans could not make the play offs.
I hope the Titans win just enough games year in and year out to ensure they remain in Nashville. The NFL is good for Nashville. Would hate to lose the team, but I can't go thru the emotional roller coaster of them achieving less than expectations. So, I don't support them....

Pump the brakes a little. There have been plenty of QBs that have been superior runners. Dobbs is a good running QB. But running QBs dont last in the NFL very long.

you are correct. However; MOST of your running q.b.'s can't learn the play book or read defenses. Take Vince Young for instance. He would learn the play book just well enough for him to know who the primary receiver was and if that receiver was not open, then Vince would run the ball.
He had no idea what route his 2nd or 3rd receiver were running. there were times when the 2nd receiver was wide open for a T.D. but Vince didn't know the play book, so he took off running and got maybe 7 yards but could have gotten a T.D. if he had known the playbook.
Research on the internet about the Houston Texans. Prior to the draft, they stated that they were not interested in Vince because he did badly on his Wonderlic test. The Texans knew he was not very intelligent. Why do you think that his college and high school coaches emphasized his running abilities? They knew he had a big weakness, so to mask his weakness, they let him run a lot.
Another guy who fits that bill is the Packers backup q.b. Huntley. Horrible q.b., but he can run...
Dobbs, on the other hand will do well. He can run and he is definitely smart enough to know the playbook in and out.

Great post. I agree that this is what made Dobbs uniquely special as a runner. He had this incredible combination of being able to break tackles as a runner while also never taking any hard hits.

Its actually kinda mind-boggling when you consider he's not really an elusive runner. He's more of a power runner. Just think back to how many tackles he broke against Florida and Georgia in 2015. And yet its hard to think of any hits he took during his career that were concerning. In fact, the only big hits I can remember Dobbs ever taking were against App State in OT of the 2016 season and that hit by Reggie Ragland in 2014 when he played against Alabama. Other than that, he always seemed to either bounce off defenders or fall harmlessly to the ground.

This is one of the reasons I think he'll be successful in the NFL as a runner. He just has an uncanny ability to avoid big hits.
Where you been????
Things have been a little slow and boring..

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman
I can't stand the steelers and especially ben RAPElesbugger.

I'll also never hope that any player gets hurt.

I do hope that Dobbs will get his chances to start and that when he does he'll be so great that Tomlin will be forced to keep starting him for the next 10 years or longer.

I wish that Dobbs was the backup for my Titans.

VFL...GBO!!!
As for him being a Titan.... he might not be the backup.

All of the interceptions were Ben's fault. No tipped balls. No receivers running the wrong routes. No slippery, wet ball.

One interception was totally catchable and clearly bounced off Jesse James' hands. Another inteception was miscommunication between Roethlisberger and Brown.

Also, every season, Ben missed a game or two because he is not very durable.

Except last season when he missed one meaningless game in week 17 as a healthy scratch and the other multiple seasons when he started every game.

Great post. I agree that this is what made Dobbs uniquely special as a runner. He had this incredible combination of being able to break tackles as a runner while also never taking any hard hits.

Its actually kinda mind-boggling when you consider he's not really an elusive runner. He's more of a power runner. Just think back to how many tackles he broke against Florida and Georgia in 2015. And yet its hard to think of any hits he took during his career that were concerning. In fact, the only big hits I can remember Dobbs ever taking were against App State in OT of the 2016 season and that hit by Reggie Ragland in 2014 when he played against Alabama. Other than that, he always seemed to either bounce off defenders or fall harmlessly to the ground.

This is one of the reasons I think he'll be successful in the NFL as a runner. He just has an uncanny ability to avoid big hits.
He's gotten smarter at not taking shots but I watched him get crunched a lot early in his career.

He had an uncanny ability to avoid big hits in college. How many other QBs like that in college are successful as runners? He needs to become a pocket passer who runs to get away RARELY; as a last resort. Ask Robert Griffin III about trying to avoid the big hits in the league. It ain't happening.

I do hope that Dobbs will get his chances to start and that when he does he'll be so great that Tomlin will be forced to keep starting him for the next 10 years or longer. VFL...GBO!!!
Me, too.

The only sad thing would be all that wasted aerospace education and ability and potential. Boeing and Lockheed need smart people to build bigger faster safer jetliners. The military needs faster deadlier stealth fighters and bombers. NASA gotta get people to Mars!

On the other, other hand, Dobbs should get paid, and paid a lot, for doing whatever he wants to do and doing it well.

Reactions: RavinDave
After his NFL career, HOF or not, he will still have plenty of time for a HOF career in the aerospace industry. Great to see such a success story. Only in America!

Reactions: SKBubba
I live in Nashville but I must confess, I think the Titans are a joke but I go to some of there games each season. I go to the games to see the other team though. Not the Titans.
It seems every year, there are predictions on what the Titans will do. These predications all come from the NFL experts.
If Titans are predicted to win the division, then they end up getting a Wild Card. If the Titans are predicted to be a Wild Card, then they miss the play offs.
I recall when Manning missed the season in Indy. The Titans played pretty good that year, but they lost to the Colts, with Curt Painter as q.b. and were eliminated from play off contention. After the game, they said, "Man we are good but next year will be our year for sure"
What a loser attitude. The division was the Titans for the taking in a year that the division was weak. Houston had a bad q.b. Indy had no q.b. and Jacksonville was bad. Yet the Titans could not make the play offs.
I hope the Titans win just enough games year in and year out to ensure they remain in Nashville. The NFL is good for Nashville. Would hate to lose the team, but I can't go thru the emotional roller coaster of them achieving less than expectations. So, I don't support them....
Can't tell if you're a fan of the Titans or not a fan, either way what a pizza poor way of looking at your city/state NFL team.

Dobbs is ready to go

"I was born ready," Dobbs told 247Sports' Jim Wexell following Thursday's practice. "I've known the whole playbook since I got here, so there's no need to condense it. It's still playing football. React to the calls and looks that you're getting and have fun, execute, play a little, protect the football. We'll be in good shape if we do that. But that'll be the plan. You've got to stay ready always so you don't have to get ready."

Dobbs is ready to go

"I was born ready," Dobbs told 247Sports' Jim Wexell following Thursday's practice. "I've known the whole playbook since I got here, so there's no need to condense it. It's still playing football. React to the calls and looks that you're getting and have fun, execute, play a little, protect the football. We'll be in good shape if we do that. But that'll be the plan. You've got to stay ready always so you don't have to get ready."

Oh hell yeah

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman

VN Store

Back