Conservatives call for constitutional intervention, last seen, 230 years ago

Oh do tell how my post wasn't thought out. Be sure to address how the income tax is illegal and how the federal government can fund its current obligations without it.

Do you know exactly when the federal income tax started? And also, what else started at the same time? If you know the answer to both, please explain how a federal income tax is justified.

I am all for limiting federal spending to a minimum, but I still think we need to pay our debts. Defaulting would have a drastic effect on the economies.
We wouldn't be the only country to default. The EU, Japan, China and most other countries are at peak debt levels right now anyways. If anything, we need a debt jubilee.

Hold on now cowboy. If we're gonna have a real discussion, we need to stick with the topic.
The concept of Defense is mandated in our Constitution. Defense requires money. We all should contribute to that need because we share in it and benefit from it.

The gargantuan defense budget is another issue. One I agree with you on. But first I'm trying to discuss the concept that certain things are specified in our constitution and it is our responsibility to fund those.
1. We haven't declared war legally since 1941. We shouldn't be leaning on the Constitution in some instances but ignoring it in other instances.

2. That word "defense"... when has our military actually defended anyone or anything?

3. The poor usually spill the blood and the rich usually reap the rewards of war.

in a consumption-based system, I believe you can get as close to "fair" as possible. Being taxed on what you spend is a lot fairer than a progressive income tax structure that places the burden on high earners and then exempts the bottom 50% from any liability.

National sales tax.

1. We haven't declared war legally since 1941. We shouldn't be leaning on the Constitution in some instances but ignoring it in other instances.

2. That word "defense"... when has our military actually defended anyone or anything?

3. The poor usually spill the blood and the rich usually reap the rewards of war.
I agree on 1.
2 is a matter of opinion.
3. will always be true.

Defense of the country is a Constitutionally specified expenditure. DTH asked for an example. I provided.

This is a joke, right? No way any of this passes. I'm all for balancing the budget and term limits, but these clowns aren't going to do any more than give lip service on this.

Yep, and it will never happen, as long as the inmates run the asylum.

If I were Trump, I'd propose to Congress to introduce a Constitutional Amendment for term limits. Do it in public.

Let them show their true colors.

Yep, and it will never happen, as long as the inmates run the asylum.
Is that a socially acceptable thing to say? Didn’t players boycot the Texans owner over that? I’m struggling with is and isn’t acceptable anymore.

If I were Trump, I'd propose to Congress to introduce a Constitutional Amendment for term limits. Do it in public.

Let them show their true colors.
He'd secure my vote for a second term, if he pulled that off.

I am all for limiting federal spending to a minimum, but I still think we need to pay our debts. Defaulting would have a drastic effect on the economies.

Stop spending so much damn money.

We are $20 trillion in debt. I've yet to see anyone present a legitimate plan to eliminate the debt.

All arguments focus on the size of the deficit compared to last year. It's maddening.

Stop spending so much damn money.

We are $20 trillion in debt. I've yet to see anyone present a legitimate plan to eliminate the debt.

All arguments focus on the size of the deficit compared to last year. It's maddening.
I am working on something now, includes a fancy Excel sheet, so you know its legit.

one thing that is funny to see is that our Mandatory Spending and Interest payments alone are almost as much as our revenue. so when Congress gets around to choosing what to spend on the money is already gone. we are almost in a hole paying for the welfare and the debt. We could completely write off the military, education, EPA, everything. and still be increasing how much we owe if we keep down this path and the interest and mandatory goes up.

Secrets of the Federal Budget Revealed

article that I am basing my numbers on.

what is mandatory spending? Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other welfare programs (SNAP, Child Nutrition, TNAF, EITC)

VN Store

Back