College Football’s Most Valuable Teams

Being in the sec is paying off for the Aggies, never thought anyone would over take the longhorns in this department.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Now... take that chart and build a ratio of "value" to wins. That would be interesting.

I'm too lazy to do it myself, but I would like to see it.

And that’s why we didn’t flinch when we gave Jimbo the 10 year, $75 million dollar contract.

Forbes sort of loves us? 11th overall but as usual only mid-pack in its own conference. Beat GA though.
well the data was taken from 2014-2016 and when you think about how those seasons went. I would say that middle of the road and being number 11 overall on this list is pretty good.

Being in the sec is paying off for the Aggies, never thought anyone would over take the longhorns in this department.
A&M is a massive university (larger enrollment than Texas) with probably just as many wealthy benefactors as Texas. Much larger endowment than Texas. Them entering the richest conference was just a cherry on top.

A&M gets chided by some people for their massive expectations because they aren't exactly a historically dominant program with a lot of past successes, but it is hard to say those expectations are misplaced when you look at these financials. They should expect a great football team and athletics department generally.

A&M is a massive university (larger enrollment than Texas) with probably just as many wealthy benefactors as Texas. Much larger endowment than Texas. Them entering the richest conference was just a cherry on top.

A&M gets chided by some people for their massive expectations because they aren't exactly a historically dominant program with a lot of past successes, but it is hard to say those expectations are misplaced when you look at these financials. They should expect a great football team and athletics department generally.

This guy gets it. For the amount of resources we (Texas A&M) puts into football, we should expect results. $750 million in renovations for a new stadium. $75 million for Jimbo. 58,000+ undergrads. 35,000 students in the stands standing the entire time at football games. Our lack of success isn’t due to not trying.

Who was Clemson before Dabo? I seem to remember the term “Clemsoning”. We don’t have the elite long-term football history. But, we are dedicated to getting there, and with Jimbo, I’ve already seen evidence we’ll get there faster than I thought before.

This guy gets it. For the amount of resources we (Texas A&M) puts into football, we should expect results. $750 million in renovations for a new stadium. $75 million for Jimbo. 58,000+ undergrads. 35,000 students in the stands standing the entire time at football games. Our lack of success isn’t due to not trying.

Who was Clemson before Dabo? I seem to remember the term “Clemsoning”. We don’t have the elite long-term football history. But, we are dedicated to getting there, and with Jimbo, I’ve already seen evidence we’ll get there faster than I thought before.
You will be in the playoff within 2-3 years. I've told that to a couple people I know who are CFB fans and while they didn't laugh they seemed to think that was a real "going out on a limb" prediction. I don't see how it is...you are a school with a mountain of resources, the admin/fans are nuts about college football and having a great team, and you just hired a coach who has already won a national title at another school. It seems totally reasonable that A&M might be the next program to really emerge.

Reactions: zooguy
You will be in the playoff within 2-3 years. I've told that to a couple people I know who are CFB fans and while they didn't laugh they seemed to think that was a real "going out on a limb" prediction. I don't see how it is...you are a school with a mountain of resources, the admin/fans are nuts about college football and having a great team, and you just hired a coach who has already won a national title at another school. It seems totally reasonable that A&M might be the next program to really emerge.

A&M will take a step forward but I don't see that unless Saban walks. If he figures out how to make it there he's got a Bama like team waiting.

A&M will take a step forward but I don't see that unless Saban walks. If he figures out how to make it there he's got a Bama like team waiting.
Auburn has won a national title, the SEC twice, and the West three times with Saban there. I think A&M is going to become a team like Auburn that Alabama has to worry about, but even better.

Reactions: zooguy
Auburn has won a national title, the SEC twice, and the West three times with Saban there. I think A&M is going to become a team like Auburn that Alabama has to worry about, but even better.
And since then Auburn has remained relevant to the conversation and UGA has entered the equation, plus other solid to good teams in his division (LSU, State).

He can make them really good and never see the playoff or Atlanta.

A&M has more resources than any school in the SEC not named Alabama. They have more money than anyone. That’s why they will eventually supercede Auburn.

And since then Auburn has remained relevant to the conversation and UGA has entered the equation, plus other solid to good teams in his division (LSU, State).

He can make them really good and never see the playoff or Atlanta.
It's all cyclical. Auburn I don't think is going to be quite as relevant as in the past, neither is LSU (we're already seeing that with LSU). Unfortunately for Auburn they have to play Georgia every year, the only good team in the West, along with Alabama, LSU, and A&M. A&M's permanent East opponent is South Carolina. The schedule does not set up great for Auburn.

I think we very well could have Alabama, Georgia, and A&M run the conference for a period of time, with Alabama/A&M becoming a rivalry like Alabama/LSU was there for a while. A&M and Alabama recruit against each other more often than you'd think for Texas kids, and there's the fact that Bear Bryant coached at both schools. I'd be pretty surprised if Jimbo is not at least in Atlanta in 3 years.

It's all cyclical. Auburn I don't think is going to be quite as relevant as in the past, neither is LSU (we're already seeing that with LSU). Unfortunately for Auburn they have to play Georgia every year, the only good team in the West, along with Alabama, LSU, and A&M. A&M's permanent East opponent is South Carolina. The schedule does not set up great for Auburn.

I think we very well could have Alabama, Georgia, and A&M run the conference for a period of time, with Alabama/A&M becoming a rivalry like Alabama/LSU was there for a while. A&M and Alabama recruit against each other more often than you'd think for Texas kids, and there's the fact that Bear Bryant coached at both schools. I'd be pretty surprised if Jimbo is not at least in Atlanta in 3 years.
It ll surprise me if he does.

Average LSU and AU teams are still as good as anything he played in the ACC and it's not like hes gonna dramatically out recruit what he did at FSU he pulled a lot of talent there. His road to the playoff got more difficult with the move regardless of A&Ms wealth and facilities. Hes just being paid better for his efforts.

I think he ll do well there, but that may result in fighting 2 or 3 other teams for second more years than not.

It ll surprise me if he does.

Average LSU and AU teams are still as good as anything he played in the ACC and it's not like hes gonna dramatically out recruit what he did at FSU he pulled a lot of talent there. His road to the playoff got more difficult with the move regardless of A&Ms wealth and facilities. Hes just being paid better for his efforts.

I think he ll do well there, but that may result in fighting 2 or 3 other teams for second more years than not.
Average Auburn and LSU teams are just that, average. My point is that Jimbo is likely to make A&M better than just an average Auburn or LSU team, which leaves only Alabama as his chief competition. The SEC West is deeper than the ACC Atlantic, to be sure, but he's got so many resources at that school it is ridiculous. I think he'll come to dominate Eastern Texas and that area all around Houston; he doesn't have to go hard against other SEC schools for that talent, and those kids want to play in the SEC.

As a university, I doubt anyone has been able to reinvent the wheel quite like the Aggies. When they made that fateful decision to get out of big brothers shadow and the big 12 conference, not only did they get out, but were able to immediately change their profile and culture by aligning with the SEC. Sudden legitimacy and Johnny Football has taken this football program to the penthouse with national exposure and a boatload of new contributions, massive renovations, and fan excitement. Now, if they can only make it to Atlanta.

Average Auburn and LSU teams are just that, average. My point is that Jimbo is likely to make A&M better than just an average Auburn or LSU team, which leaves only Alabama as his chief competition. The SEC West is deeper than the ACC Atlantic, to be sure, but he's got so many resources at that school it is ridiculous. I think he'll come to dominate Eastern Texas and that area all around Houston; he doesn't have to go hard against other SEC schools for that talent, and those kids want to play in the SEC.
The SEC west has been deeper than both ACC divisions combined for a decade. And that's with several teams rising, falling and even rising again in that stretch in the west. The names may have shifted ever year outside Bama but the dominance has remained.

Hes gonna get great players there. But it's not like he left some rat hole that couldn't get players to go to A&M either. Hes used to coaching talent but hes not used to playing comparable talent in half his division games either. We both agree he will make their program better and may even slightly out recruit what he could at FSU, but there's a big difference in navigating the west then catching an east team that's now competent. It's no longer a foregone conclusion that the best team in the conference is coming from the west. And that's assuming you get the chance.

I ll stick by my opinion that he will improve them but his road to big trophies is a lot more difficult in College Station than Tallahassee.

A&M has always gotten talent, but hasn’t developed it. See players be average in college and then be better in the NFL. Sumlin got talent, but did nothing with it.

Jimbo is already getting markedly better talent overall than Sumlin ever got, and he actually coaches them up. It’s all in the details. Once he gets his players in there - watch out. Last year, Sumlin-led teams would play well - then fade. Jimbo’s players got stronger as the game went on vs Clemson. He will have them in Atlanta in he next 5 years.

VN Store

Back