College basketball corruption

hUTch2002

Wait til next year!
The trial related to NCAA basketball corruption is underway. Jim Gatto’s defense is interesting as he is completely throwing the schools and coaches under the bus since it is not illegal to pay players. As such, he has proudly admitted to paying players to NC State, Oregon, Kansas, and others. It’ll be interesting to see how the NCAA responds once all this is over. I believe they will be forced to allow certain things to happen because paying players is too widespread. For example, if a player can make money from their own likeness I could see that being allowed. I don’t think it’ll go so far as to actually pay players beyond the allowance they get currently but I could certainly be wrong. Any thoughts?

If a player can make money from their own likeness...go for it. But if players are allowed to get jobs, do commercials, speaking engagements, ect.......there has to be a cap on what they can make. You can't have a Bama booster pay Alan All-American $50K to do two TV spots for "Dumpster's Wrecker Service"

I understand that a regular Science Major can do that, but there isn't an institution (NCAA) trying to created an equal, competitive balance among Science departments across the country. These players should understand that they are getting FREE advertising/marketing for up to 4 years.

The "problem" of college athletes getting paid is unsolvable.

@peaygolf is right. If a player can make money off their likeness (which I think they should be allowed to do and probably will eventually be allowed to do), there need to be rules/limits on what they can make. That creates a whole new set of compliance responsibilities that, you guessed it, the NCAA will have to enforce.

Even if kids are getting paid, there is still an incentive for boosters to give them more money under the table to sweeten the offer. The ironic thing is that the people screeching that college athletes not getting paid is unfair are the same people who will screech when they actually are paid. It isn't fair for just the football and basketball players to get paid; the women's swimming team needs to get paid that same amount. An absurd and economically impossible argument, but one they will make nonetheless. Besides, by their definition, college sports are already unfair. Is it "fair" that a larger, richer program like Alabama or Ohio St has great facilities that attract top recruits and they get to use, while more marginal players go to North Texas or Wyoming and use inferior stuff?

Reactions: mrmax86
I'm not surprised that Oregon was dragged into this. The Adidas execs want to take Nike down with them and Oregon is their flagship school... and Oregon had a visit from Bowen. This has nothing to do with $100 handshakes from boosters or even big money payments from boosters at all. I'm not sure why that was brought up. This is corruption under the cover that apparel companies who do business with NCAA schools don't have to care about breaking NCAA rules - just the law - and if they are funneling money to the families of high school prospects to get them to attend certain schools, there is nothing wrong with that on their end. It's the kind of thing that could destroy the sport. Nothing surprises me about recruiting anymore but even this has soured me on college basketball. I knew it was bad... I didn't know it was this.

Reactions: Remy
I'm not surprised that Oregon was dragged into this. The Adidas execs want to take Nike down with them and Oregon is their flagship school... and Oregon had a visit from Bowen. This has nothing to do with $100 handshakes from boosters or even big money payments from boosters at all. I'm not sure why that was brought up. This is corruption under the cover that apparel companies who do business with NCAA schools don't have to care about breaking NCAA rules - just the law - and if they are funneling money to the families of high school prospects to get them to attend certain schools, there is nothing wrong with that on their end. It's the kind of thing that could destroy the sport. Nothing surprises me about recruiting anymore but even this has soured me on college basketball. I knew it was bad... I didn't know it was this.
Agreed. They just don’t want to get busted doing something like Chuck Person is accused of doing.

Tear the whole ****ing thing down and start over. Put a cap on college coaches making $500k per year. Put the rest in making tuition affordable. Get these greedy ****ers out.

Hey, I've been saying death to the NCAA for a while, and this may be the thing to do it. Definitely a big blow to the purity of college sports for sure.

Everyone knows players are being paid, it's not really a secret. I think if one gets paid they all should, even the archer or chess team. Therr has to be a cap, but under the table will always happen.

Plus, if they could have jobs that may help a few being able to work 15 or 20 hours a week.

Tax evasion is what will get them

Tax evasion is what will get them
I ask because gift tax laws allow for more than $5M to be given via the lifetime gift tax exemption. Now, I don’t know who is actually making the payments and if it is a company how it applies to corporations but I haven’t heard tax evasion come up as a charge at all. The recipient doesn’t have to pay the tax. That’s on the giver.

Reactions: shotgun83
Tear the whole ****ing thing down and start over. Put a cap on college coaches making $500k per year. Put the rest in making tuition affordable. Get these greedy ****ers out.
Why should college coaches not get to reap the reward of the American Dream? If Coach K or Saban are the best in their respective fields, they should be paid accordingly.

The boosters/athletes getting paid issues need resolving, but I don’t see how coaches’ salaries are somehow related.

Reactions: Vol_0311
Some of the highlights for those not following on Twitter

Bowen Sr. said Dawkins told him an original offer of $60,000 to $80,000 from Adidas to attend Louisville was increased to $100,000 because that is how much Billy Preston got to go to Kansas

Bowen Sr. testified he was paid $5,000-$8,000 to play AAU ball with the Nike backed Mean Streets out of Chicago

As for any offer with the University of Oregon Bowen Sr. did not "recall" discussing anything with Dawkins

Dawkins told him Creighton would pay "like $100,000 and a good job, like a lucrative job" via asst coach Preston Murphy

Dawkins told him Texas would "help me with housing" via asst coach Mike Morrell

Dawkins told him Oklahoma State would pay $150,000, $8,000 for a car and "some undisclosed amount to buy a house" via asst coach Lamont Evans

Dawkins told him Arizona would pay $50,000 via asst coach Pasternack.

Prosecutors did bring up that ex U of L asst Kenny Johnson paid Brian Bowen's family $1,300 and ex asst Jordan Fair gave $900 regarding a separate unnamed recruit.

Brutally boring morning in court. At least one alternate juror appeared to fall asleep during a meandering and pointless cross by Jim Gatto's atty of a Louisville compliance director.

Documents also suggested $5,000 to Troy Brown for "Mayweather tickets" and a proposed $2,500 per month for Lamar Peters. Lot of names tossed around in documents.

Among revelations in court this afternoon, documents suggesting Christian Dawkins paid $5,000 to Collin Sexton and another calling for $1,500 per month to Sexton, $21,000 for travel for his family and a four year job for his brother ($35,000 per year, with $5,000 annual raise).

Financial planner Munish Sood testified about involvement with many players, most notable by NCAA rules standards a $30,000 loan to an associate of Markelle Fultz and an undisclosed payment amount to associate of Kyle Kuzma while at Utah.

Bowen signed with Louisville after $100000 deal promised to his father. Dawkins: "It got done in what, two three days? It was very simple and everybody won.

Gatto's atty also acknowledged the family of Dennis Smith Jr. Was paid $40,000 while he played for North Carolina State.

Gatto's atty also said Under Armor paid $20,000 to recruit Silvio De Sousa to sign with Maryland and Arizona offered $150,000 for Nassir Little. De Sousa is at Kansas, Little at UNC now. Goal is to make all of college hoops look corrupt.

During opening statement this morning, Jim Gattto's atty promised evidence would show Oregon offered "an atronomical amount of money" to recruit Brian Bowen to play for the Ducks. The $100,000 deal to attend Louisville was to "level the playing field."

Jurors also given long list of names that may come up at trial (not necessarily wrongdoing). Includes: Bill Self, Rick Pitino, Sean Miller, Jim Larranaga, Kyle Kuzma, Zion Williamson, Romeo Langford, Jason Richardson, Isiah Whitehead, Tom Jurich, Nasir Little, Markelle Fultz

All I'll say is that I sure hope Oregon isn't involved in this and that its just another attempt to cover truth with fake news as a distraction from the facts.

I had the opportunity to see a small bit of Oregon basketball recruiting from a recruits point of view and I will say the coaches and staff were excellent representatives of the University of Oregon.

I doubt any significant long term changes will come of this, but depending on how these trials go, I wonder if some teams might voluntarily impose a post season ban this year, assuming any do good enough to be eligible for the NCAA or NIT to begin with.

As the NCAA seems to take a more approving view of teams or schools that self impose penalties and corrective actions, I could see some schools deciding to take a small hit in the short term if it avoids longer term damage. Worst case scenario, the NCAA Tournament has less UNC or Kentucky level teams and a few more Vandy or Texas Tech level Power 7 schools. A few schools that might otherwise be carted off to the NIT get an NCAA bid and a very, very small handful of mid major programs might pick up an at large bid to the NIT. This impacts one, maybe two seasons at the most, then with possibly one or two odd exceptions, most schools suffer no real long term consequences for good or ill.

Some of the highlights for those not following on Twitter

Bowen Sr. said Dawkins told him an original offer of $60,000 to $80,000 from Adidas to attend Louisville was increased to $100,000 because that is how much Billy Preston got to go to Kansas

Bowen Sr. testified he was paid $5,000-$8,000 to play AAU ball with the Nike backed Mean Streets out of Chicago

As for any offer with the University of Oregon Bowen Sr. did not "recall" discussing anything with Dawkins

Dawkins told him Creighton would pay "like $100,000 and a good job, like a lucrative job" via asst coach Preston Murphy

Dawkins told him Texas would "help me with housing" via asst coach Mike Morrell

Dawkins told him Oklahoma State would pay $150,000, $8,000 for a car and "some undisclosed amount to buy a house" via asst coach Lamont Evans

Dawkins told him Arizona would pay $50,000 via asst coach Pasternack.

Prosecutors did bring up that ex U of L asst Kenny Johnson paid Brian Bowen's family $1,300 and ex asst Jordan Fair gave $900 regarding a separate unnamed recruit.

Brutally boring morning in court. At least one alternate juror appeared to fall asleep during a meandering and pointless cross by Jim Gatto's atty of a Louisville compliance director.

Documents also suggested $5,000 to Troy Brown for "Mayweather tickets" and a proposed $2,500 per month for Lamar Peters. Lot of names tossed around in documents.

Among revelations in court this afternoon, documents suggesting Christian Dawkins paid $5,000 to Collin Sexton and another calling for $1,500 per month to Sexton, $21,000 for travel for his family and a four year job for his brother ($35,000 per year, with $5,000 annual raise).

Financial planner Munish Sood testified about involvement with many players, most notable by NCAA rules standards a $30,000 loan to an associate of Markelle Fultz and an undisclosed payment amount to associate of Kyle Kuzma while at Utah.

Bowen signed with Louisville after $100000 deal promised to his father. Dawkins: "It got done in what, two three days? It was very simple and everybody won.

Gatto's atty also acknowledged the family of Dennis Smith Jr. Was paid $40,000 while he played for North Carolina State.

Gatto's atty also said Under Armor paid $20,000 to recruit Silvio De Sousa to sign with Maryland and Arizona offered $150,000 for Nassir Little. De Sousa is at Kansas, Little at UNC now. Goal is to make all of college hoops look corrupt.

During opening statement this morning, Jim Gattto's atty promised evidence would show Oregon offered "an atronomical amount of money" to recruit Brian Bowen to play for the Ducks. The $100,000 deal to attend Louisville was to "level the playing field."

Jurors also given long list of names that may come up at trial (not necessarily wrongdoing). Includes: Bill Self, Rick Pitino, Sean Miller, Jim Larranaga, Kyle Kuzma, Zion Williamson, Romeo Langford, Jason Richardson, Isiah Whitehead, Tom Jurich, Nasir Little, Markelle Fultz
Well if making all of basketball look corrupt is the goal they are doing a good job. I sure didn’t see Creighton getting pulled in and the list of school just grows and grows.

Well if making all of basketball look corrupt is the goal they are doing a good job. I sure didn’t see Creighton getting pulled in and the list of school just grows and grows.

Creighton is a respectable school. Since 1998 they've made the NCAA 12 times, the NIT 6 times, made the Round of 32 on four separate occasions, and won at least one game during 4 of their NIT appearances. Not exactly the next Villanova or Duke, but not someone I'd turn my back on either.

Creighton is a respectable school. Since 1998 they've made the NCAA 12 times, the NIT 6 times, made the Round of 32 on four separate occasions, and won at least one game during 4 of their NIT appearances. Not exactly the next Villanova or Duke, but not someone I'd turn my back on either.
I agree from a basketball standpoint but would you ever think they would be accused of paying players? If I’m not mistaken I believe Korver was a Bluejay, McDermott. I’m sure there are others that are in the NBA. Good program.

VN Store

Back