CJP getting some love from bama honks

There are about 5 sure bets in college football and none of them are coaching/have a desire to ever coach at UT. To suggest that CJP is a risk is doing nothing more than stating the obvious, almost every head coach is a risk. The reason he is a greater risk as stated by yourself and many like you is because he is very hands on or abrasive to the media? He is a risk so is every other coordinator who was ever hired as a head coach at a major university but what you seem to ignore is most head coaches at major universities were previously coordinators not head coaches: Helton, Smart, Sarkesian, Fulmer at UT, Muschamp at Florida, Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong at Louisville, Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley, and Dabo Sweeney just to name a few at varying degrees of success. Were they any less prepared than Dooley, Jones, Kiffin, Strong at Texas, McElwain at UF, Muscamp at SC, Orgeron at LSU, Freeze, or Malzahn? I would argue no they were not and had similar if not greater success at major universities
You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say a lot of the things you said I said. I never said Pruitt is a greater risk than any of those people. Of all the coaches you mentioned there, Pruitt is less risky than some, more risky than others. IMO, Pruitt is very obviously more prepared than any of our 3 previous hires to coach this team.

He's more prepared (prepared simply meaning experienced) than a guy like Lincoln Riley was, but Riley also inherited a loaded team with a Heisman contender (eventual winner) at QB. You also have to factor the situation the coach is inheriting as well. An unprepared coach can inherit a loaded team, which widens the learning curve. He's probably just as prepared as Orgeron at LSU, Freeze, or Malzahn. He isn't as prepared as guys like McElwain at UF, Muschamp at SC, or Strong at Texas. His relative preparedness or unpreparedness to those coaches isn't some guarantee of his success or failure though.

All I said is that the offensive side of the ball is his wild card, and will likely determine whether or not he wins here. Most if not all of those other coaches you mentioned had wild cards too.

some still do, despite last year's run. i do think it's safe to say that as long as they recruit like they have been it'll be virtually impossible for them to be average/mediocre.
They certainly won't be average/mediocre for a long time, but fortunately for everyone else that means they can still not meet expectations, which their program has a loooong history of doing. Having said that Georgia had somewhat high expectations last year (I think most of their fans thought they could win the East) and they exceeded them.

Agreed that Pruitt's timeline for success/turning the program around is longer than Kirby's. That's what that shill Pollack didn't understand or didn't want to understand at Media Days.

They certainly won't be average/mediocre for a long time, but fortunately for everyone else that means they can still not meet expectations, which their program has a loooong history of doing. Having said that Georgia had somewhat high expectations last year (I think most of their fans thought they could win the East) and they exceeded them.

Agreed that Pruitt's timeline for success/turning the program around is longer than Kirby's. That's what that shill Pollack didn't understand or didn't want to understand at Media Days.
i think even Pollack said that in 2-3 years things would be different in Knoxville. virtually no one has any real expectation for this season, which is fine. i can see why anyone would say that, and they may be right.

i do think us as fans are gonna have to be a little bit patient here. we'll know pretty early on, even in what will be a transition year, if this staff gets it, and if there's improvement on the field. the eye test will matter this year, win or lose.

going forward, unfortunately i think the window has closed for us, or anyone for that matter, to really be the team to stand up and just take control of the East. UGA is ahead already, and by the time we catch up, it will be just that...caught up. that in and of itself won't guarantee anything results wise, except that we should be, and remain, competitive with teams like UGA, FL, Bama, Aub, LSU, aTm etc...

i think the SEC is about to head in to a new era of dominance again. i think the coaching changes made at UGA, aTm, TN and even FL to some degree will get the SEC back to being a 5-6 teams deep league again.

Reading through this thread there are a lot of very good posts. OP my initial reaction to anything a Bammer type prints or says is automatically opposite and with a level of ferocity enhanced. Therefore the idea CJP will be "disastrous" is balderdash. However I do have to temper what he will actually be with a clear head and he does not have any experience for us to gauge what the future holds for him. We know what hiring recommended former HCs got us, Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones. We have dome something a little different and hired an assistant as a first time HC. Our more recent experiences doing that begat Bill Battle and Phil Fulmer. So until we see something of what Pruitt puts on the field it's a 50 50 shot whether we have a North Texas State game in our future or hoisting the NC trophy overhead. With Pruitt I do not believe it will be due to lack of effort if he's more Battle than Fulmer, only ime will tell. Pruitt has my support until he puts a stank football team on the field.

It's a somewhat justifiable opinion, especially if you are a Bammer. If by "disastrous" they mean like the Dooley era, I don't thin he'll be that bad. If they mean like the Butch era, it's possible.

I don't have much doubt Pruitt will recruit well and vastly improve the defense. However, it is fair to be skeptical at his ability to manage an offense and build a good offensive staff. He's never had to do that before, and breaking that skill in at a big job like Tennessee isn't easy. Ultimately, I think his success or failure as a coach here will be determined by what happens with the offense. If he is able to develop a consistent offense, whether it be primarily on the ground like at Alabama or Georgia or a more QB-centric one, I think he will be a very good coach. If we get into year 3 and we are losing games because our defense is always on the field, he'll be in trouble.

I would be disappointed but not necessarily stunned if the offense never comes around. I'll be disappointed and stunned if the defense doesn't get much better over time.

Good observation, Pruitt started behind the 8 ball, only time will tell if he can survive and or flourish at Tennessee........ It certainly won't be easy
Go Vols

Good observation, Pruitt started behind the 8 ball, only time will tell if he can survive and or flourish at Tennessee........ It certainly won't be easy
Go Vols

But I just can't throw in the towel on the team I've followed and cheered for the last 5 decades:)
Go Vols

Well my friends, I see most on here seem to be saying that Pruitt may fail at having success because he doesn't know enough about the O side of the ball.

I'd suggest that you NEVER try to ASSume something like that about a proven DC that's won National Championships at more than 1 place.

Fact is that to become a great DC you simply MUST know a huge amount about the O side of the ball in order to shutdown what they're trying to do against your D.

Even our OC has said that in O meetings that Pruitt has added in a great deal of input and knowledge to the conversations.

Let me also remind you of a couple more things, at Western Ky Helton and that team lit up the scoreboard consistently and while most say it was the HC calling all the plays I'd suggest that Helton called more plays than most would know especially after WK ad a decent lead and so that the HC could evaluate how well his OC could handle the duties.

Will Friend was also a OC so his knowledge and experience bring value to our O.

Also never forget our off the field coaches/consultants that work hard to make our O successful because there's some very good
knowledge and experience there as well.

I think our O will be better than many expect.

To get the top quality depth we need to compete with Bama and others will probably take 4 or 5 years but after that we're just reloading like Bama does.

I'm also sick and tired of being patient but we have no other options unfortunately.

VFL...GBO!!!

Thinking Pruitt doesn't know any thing about offences is laughable. You have to study offences to know how to stop them. I believe he's had plenty of experiences in that regard.

It’s good if Alabama fans think Pruitt will be disastrous. They thought highly of Dooley and Butch.

It may take a good deal of time to pass before real scope of the damage the appointed leaders of the university did to the football programs credibility over more than a decade.

It's a somewhat justifiable opinion, especially if you are a Bammer. If by "disastrous" they mean like the Dooley era, I don't thin he'll be that bad. If they mean like the Butch era, it's possible.

I don't have much doubt Pruitt will recruit well and vastly improve the defense. However, it is fair to be skeptical at his ability to manage an offense and build a good offensive staff. He's never had to do that before, and breaking that skill in at a big job like Tennessee isn't easy. Ultimately, I think his success or failure as a coach here will be determined by what happens with the offense. If he is able to develop a consistent offense, whether it be primarily on the ground like at Alabama or Georgia or a more QB-centric one, I think he will be a very good coach. If we get into year 3 and we are losing games because our defense is always on the field, he'll be in trouble.

I would be disappointed but not necessarily stunned if the offense never comes around. I'll be disappointed and stunned if the defense doesn't get much better over time.

He claims that he will stay out of the offense. We shall see. I certainly have zero doubt about his abilities to develop a defense.

Running a team as HC is a lot more work than being a position coach. Everything, and I mean everything runs through the head man. Every player, booster, president, HS coaches, etc look to you for answers. Time management is a must. Fans know the pressure to win. These are the concerns I have with CJP, not coaching. Fortunately, that is where AD Fulmer will be the biggest asset to Pruitt. He will run interference with all those folks, allowing Pruitt to deal with the coaching side.

VN Store

Back