Chris Rumph on choosing UT over Florida

Shades

Shady member
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...y-at-florida-for-jeremy-pruitt-and-tennessee/

Tennessee’s co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach explained his decision to jump at the chance to coach for the Volunteers, instead of staying in Gainesville to coach for Dan Mullen’s Florida staff, during his recent media availability with WATE Sports Director Marshall Hughes of Knoxville.

“It’s all about the people, and it’s nothing against Dan Mullen. I’ve worked with Coach Pruitt, Coach Sherrer, Tyson (Helton), Tracy Rocker,” Rumph said.

Tennessee fans will love to hear Rumph’s reaction to seeing those names join Pruitt’s first staff.

“Man, I gotta get on, I gotta get on. This is what I want, this is the stuff that I want,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris - I approve this message.

Welcome to rocky top! We got it way better up here anyways.

So, the gist of the story is that Rumph wants to be on a staff with coaches familiar to him. Welcome to Big Orange country, coach.

Tennessee’s co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach explained his decision to jump at the chance to coach for the Volunteers, instead of staying in Gainesville...

Coach Rumph: "Hmm. Should I remain in this squalid Mecca for canaille, or hightail it for God's Country?"

No need for explanation, Coach Rumph. No need for explanation.

I know you're getting hyped and having a good time, but how many years does it take for you to get complacent? How long does it take before you say, "show me the money", before you're all in?

This university has underachieved for us for so long now, lord guys. Let's watch a game.

He's a smart and experienced coach/man.

Good coaches, great teachers of the positions, good recruiters, good motivators and coaches that love to WIN and hate to Lose.

What is their not to really like?

I just hope we can hang on to all our coaches for a long time to come.

VFL...GBO!!!

I think it is exciting how quickly this coaching staff came together. I believe that they believe. And, so goes the team.

Reactions: Pacer92
Cue the Gator fans who will tell us that he wasn't a good recruiter and wouldn't have been retained by Mullen anyway. Like ringing the dinner bell at fat camp... they're comin'.

Nah, when news of that broke, I was bummed. Rumph is legit and is a great addition to the UT staff. All the players at Florida loved him.

Nah, when news of that broke, I was bummed. Rumph is legit and is a great addition to the UT staff. All the players at Florida loved him.

I liked Rumph as much as the next guy, his unit was one of the few bright spots on a few bad UF teams. I have nothing bad to say about him.

But out of curiosity, I’d like to see the actual article or proof that he “chose” UT over UF. As I recall, he was never a guarantee to be on Mullen’s UF staff. Maybe he was and I missed it. If so, good get for UT.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I liked Rumph as much as the next guy, his unit was one of the few bright spots on a few bad UF teams. I have nothing bad to say about him.

But out of curiosity, I’d like to see the actual article or proof that he “chose” UT over UF. As I recall, he was never a guarantee to be on Mullen’s UF staff. Maybe he was and I missed it. If so, good get for UT.
What "proof" could there be and why isn't Rumph's word enough? He was asked why he chose Tennessee over Florida and answered the question (more than implying that he did have an offer to remain on staff at UF). And whether he had an offer to stay or not, it looks like a good hire by UT.

In 3 years he signed zero big time DTs and this was with tons of all sec selections and high draft picks he could sell the kids on

Hell DT Taven Bryan went in the first round this year! Then there’s Floyd, Bullard, Easley etc Guys a good coach for sure but his recruiting was a huge problem you can’t strike out on DTs 3 years in a row in the sec that **** will kill u

What "proof" could there be and why isn't Rumph's word enough? He was asked why he chose Tennessee over Florida and answered the question (more than implying that he did have an offer to remain on staff at UF). And whether he had an offer to stay or not, it looks like a good hire by UT.

Meh, whatever. As soon as I start feeling inferior over Rumph choosing UT over UF, I remember Dan Mullen chose UF over UT and it all feels okay again.

But I agree, good coach, good hire for UT.

VN Store

Back