By the STATS

AndyMizunogolfer

Both having played two cupcakes and (oops ) 1 P5 here are the #'s
UF rushing 97 att 555 yards with 5.7 avg and 3 rushing td's
UT rushing 132 att 664 yards with 5.0 avg and 8 rushing td's
UF passing 80 att 592 yards with comp% 55.0 9 passing td's Trask is 100% helping the overall out a little. Franks is 53.2
UT passing 60 att 563 yards with comp% 71.7 3 passing td's Chryst is 66.7% and JG at 77.2%

Going to be honest this game is a toss up. I am unsure how UF is a -5- to -7 fave? UF has 20 more passing att for only 29 more yards. While UT has 35 more rushes for 109 more yards. UF does have one more overall TD than UT. Neither team is exactly lighting it up. Franks does have 2 INT's and JG has 0. This sure looks like a winnable game to me guys. OL issues or not.

Last edited:
Just a minor nit to pick: each team has played 2 cupcakes and 1 power 5 opponent. It's no biggie; your main point is that we've had similar schedules thus far, and we have.

Couple of points jump out at me in the stats you list:

(1) We're running the ball a lot more than Florida. We are 132 rush / 60 pass (a little better than 2:1 in favor of the run), while Gators are 97 rush / 80 pass (closer to 1:1 balance). Used to be the common wisdom was, the team that runs farther in this game, wins. That's been proven false a couple of times in the past decade, but I like that we're insisting upon a solid run game.

(2) Our 1st string QB is hitting 77% of his throws (and a significant number of them are downfield). Their QB is barely above 50%.

Naturally, we've never played against the Gators defense, and they've never played against ours. So things on the field Saturday could go a different way than we've seen so far.

But just on the face of these stats, I'm liking where we find ourselves compared to the team with Franks as QB.

Go Vols!

I’m mostly concerned about the OL. If they don’t play their best game so far, Guarantano will look like he did last year. Flat on his back.

I do share your concern, but he wasn't sacked much by West Virginia. I suspect that defense is about as good as Florida's. Here's hoping our OL have improved enough over the past three weeks to keep JG alive and upright. :)

Reactions: Halph66
Seems like the OL was not terrible this past week outside of the stupid penalties. I didn't get to watch the game but the sounds of it is that we had some stupid execution issues.

and they just lost a running back. they gonna (unfortunately) throw all over the young secondary. i hope not. i hope our young talent can ball out and get some pressure on them

and they just lost a running back. they gonna (unfortunately) throw all over the young secondary. i hope not. i hope our young talent can ball out and get some pressure on them
Franks isn't able to throw it all over anybody. The more they toss it around, the better.

Reactions: BreatheUT

The RB they lost had not been productive this year. The #29 freshman is the one to watch out for. That kid has like 11 YPC right now. Leading their team in total rushing.

Lor
I do share your concern, but he wasn't sacked much by West Virginia. I suspect that defense is about as good as Florida's. Here's hoping our OL have improved enough over the past three weeks to keep JG alive and upright. :)
Lordy, I sure hope so. If history is any indication, I just can’t feel confident until it’s over. I just want so bad for us to just dominate FL for once. Not just win, but dominate.

Franks isn't able to throw it all over anybody. The more they toss it around, the better.

Franks has looked bad when teams get pressure on him. So far in 3 games we haven’t been able to generate anything resembling an SEC caliber pass rush.

This game is only a toss up to those who are either just perpetually sunshine pumping or very wishful. Even at our best, we cannot beat UF.

Reactions: KBVol
Just a minor nit to pick: each team has played 2 cupcakes and 1 power 5 opponent. It's no biggie; your main point is that we've had similar schedules thus far, and we have.

Couple of points jump out at me in the stats you list:

(1) We're running the ball a lot more than Florida. We are 132 rush / 60 pass (a little better than 2:1 in favor of the run), while Gators are 97 rush / 80 pass (closer to 1:1 balance). Used to be the common wisdom was, the team that runs farther in this game, wins. That's been proven false a couple of times in the past decade, but I like that we're insisting upon a solid run game.

(2) Our 1st string QB is hitting 77% of his throws (and a significant number of them are downfield). Their QB is barely above 50%.

Naturally, we've never played against the Gators defense, and they've never played against ours. So things on the field Saturday could go a different way than we've seen so far.

But just on the face of these stats, I'm liking where we find ourselves compared to the team with Franks as QB.

Go Vols!

I largely agree.

Our skill players are better. I'd take JG over Franks. I'd take our RBs over theirs.

Of course, our O-line has struggled, so that's a big concern. D-line, as well. We found a bit of a pass rush agaisnt UTEP, but generating a pass rush against Florida is going to be more difficult. If our OL and DL can play reasonably well, we have an excellent shot.

At the very least, this game is going to tell us where we are much more so than the previous three games.

OP,

I appreciate those that can toss around Mizuno wrenches but all that stuff and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

From what I’ve seen the Gators were having OL issues as well. Did that get sorted out this past week?

Everybody is stating the O Line is not very good, and I have seen several breakdowns during plays. However after 3 games they have given up 5 sacks. There are 4 other SEC teams that have given up 4 or more sacks this year (not sure if any had their game postponed this past week or not). TENN is averaging over 400 ypg while only passing about 30% of the time. The QBs are completing around 70% of their passes and the running game is averaging 5.0 ypc. I understand the schedule has not been all heavyweights, but probably average for most teams with 3 games under their belts. This seems like an improvement over stats from last year.
After 3 games my biggest question about the offense is whether it will continue to be run heavy or even up closer to 50-50 when they get into SEC play. Although WVU was a high scoring offense, Pruitt and staff never changed the game plan to try and keep up. If the D improves, they may be able to play ball control with everyone but GA, Ala, UA and possibly Missouri.

Looking for something I mean anything from LOS. Oh and Vols don’t be afraid to actually show up in the first quarter. We are not good enough to be lethargic for the first few possessions in SEC games.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Where's the defensive stats, turn over stats and opponent rankings? If your doing a "by the stats"thread, these are needed

Also
They have a total of 1152 yards with 117 points

We have 1227 total yards with only 97 points and one of our opponents is the worst cfb team right now

We have both given up 43 points

How about sacks given and taken. Tackles for loss given and taken. Cause I'm willing to bet, our o line is about to get completely embarrassed and likewise for defense

Last edited:
UF passing 80 att 592 yards with comp% 55.0 9 passing td's Trask is 100% helping the overall out a little. Franks is 53.2
UT passing 60 att 563 yards with comp% 71.7 3 passing td's Chryst is 66.7% and JG at 77.2%

Going to be honest this game is a toss up. I am unsure how UF is a -5- to -7 fave? UF has 20 more passing att for only 29 more yards. While UT has 35 more rushes for 109 more yards. UF does have one more overall TD than UT. Neither team is exactly lighting it up. Franks does have 2 INT's and JG has 0. This sure looks like a winnable game to me guys. OL issues or not.

Turnovers and the team that wants the win the most is the way I view the chances to win.

I do see Florida as a more physical team, however.

there's no reason to be scared of this Florida team. none.

both o lines struggle. so you look at the front 7's and who is more apt to takea advantage. and while i might give a slight edge to UF on the DL, i think teh LB's are probably a push. but we have pruitt. and i'll take him figuring out a way to exploit UF's weaknesses up front.

FRanks has been flinging it around but he's not been very accurate, and he is perfectly capable of making mistakes with the ball.

i look for our offense to be opportunistic, and i think we see a heave dose of the run game. i really want Banks to be great. but he absolutely has to improve his ball security issues. WE CANNOT TURN IT OVER in this game.

when all is said and done, i think this game comes down to two things...who makes the most mistakes and who can run the ball.

the only caveat to this game for me for Florida is if we allow this game to come to a point where Special Teams can affect the outcome. i trust their FG kicker more than ours.

i expect a fairly ugly game, and i think it's important that good things happen early for us. don't need another sluggish start.

i'll take TN 27 to 23....ish....

I hope we can maintain the stat of 27 minutes of possession for them and 33 for us which are the averages in the first three games each has played. Second Florida has fumbled 5 times only lost one. We've fumbled 4 times lost two. if they fumble we need to get it.

VN Store

Back