Beating a dead horse...

Ok, so admittedly I wear orange colored glasses, but give me a chance. The season hinges on the first game. A win as 10 point underdogs would be an epic start to the Pruitt era. Why do we have a shot to win the game? West Virginia is overrated. Sure they have a great offense, but their defense is horrible. I know, I know ours is worse...but are they? Last year’s team was statistically dreadful, but the stats might be misleading.

All players seem to have gotten a noticeable bump in size and strength. We’re getting DK back, and Tuttle is healthy again. Kongbo is likely a more natural fit at end/OLB, and I’m expecting Darrell Taylor to make a leap this year under the new staff. Our true freshman DBs are elite athletes and will likely be an improvement on last year’s secondary. Depth on the line may be an issue, but then again Paul Bain has said he wants to play in the League, and what Bain wants Bain gets.

Although we’re installing a new defence, our coaches and players say it will be “multiple.” If we need to switch between the 3-4 and 4-3, we can. Pruitt strikes me as a coach that will adjust, not stubbornly stick to his scheme even when adjustments are obviously needed. If what I hear from the practices is true, the new coaches are “coaching-up” the players, and that is a noticeable change from the previous staff.

I’m assuming our offense will be better than last years. I won’t go into all the details why, but our team should be better under Helton. He’s talked about flexibility with his offense and whether it’s Chryst or JG, we should be improved at QB. At the least I expect better play calling with improved discipline and execution. No more shotgun goal-line plays and procedure penalties on first and goal.

We get past W.V. and the path is clear to a 3-0 match up at home against the Gators. A team that in ‘17 took a last second play at home to secure a W. Sure, we lose to UGA, Auburn, Bama, and maybe USCjr, but I don’t see Pruitt being a coach that allows Tennessee to lose to UK, Charlotte, Missouri (with Dooley), or Vandy.

That’s how we get to 8 wins.

We beat Georgia Tech last year and that did not get us on a roll. Coming out of Ga Tech, we knew that Dormady was not the answer and we knew Galloway was good
Now concerning the Florida game. Many, many times we have taken Florida to the wire and still ended up losing. Just because it was a close game last year means nothing
We have upgraded our whole coaching staff and so have they. We have players that were IR last year Tuttle, Jennings & Kirkland. They had players on IR last year also
Their players will be better developed than last year and so will ours
One difference though: We hope to get lucky and beat Florida but Florida expects to beat us every year. Different mind set. To Florida, we are like Kentucky to them. We expect to beat It every year. Even when it is a close game, we still pull out a win against Ky
We lose to Florida again this year

We beat Georgia Tech last year and that did not get us on a roll. Coming out of Ga Tech, we knew that Dormady was not the answer and we knew Galloway was good
Now concerning the Florida game. Many, many times we have taken Florida to the wire and still ended up losing. Just because it was a close game last year means nothing
We have upgraded our whole coaching staff and so have they. We have players that were IR last year Tuttle, Jennings & Kirkland. They had players on IR last year also
Their players will be better developed than last year and so will ours
One difference though: We hope to get lucky and beat Florida but Florida expects to beat us every year. Different mind set. To Florida, we are like Kentucky to them. We expect to beat It every year. Even when it is a close game, we still pull out a win against Ky
We lose to Florida again this year
That was last years coaching staff. They gave up over 500 RUSHING yards. I can’t imagine a Pruitt defense, even in his first season, being that bad. You may think our team needs luck to beat Florida, but I’m pretty sure this new coaching staff is teaching our boys what it really takes. Toughness, discipline, and execution of a good game plan that has the flexibility to adjust to game specific situations that might call for something other than a spread option attack. We have beaten ourselves against Florida with poor execution of base offense AND defense two out of the last three years. I don’t care if Florida looks at us as Kentucky, Google “Florida Man” to see evidence of the collective intelligence we’re dealing with. You’re making a safe bet to say we will lose to Florida. I’m telling you it is the wrong bet. Vols by 10 at home against the gators. Book it.

We have talent. Jones just couldn't coach or develop it...And strength and conditioning were severely lacking. I believe CJP is correcting all of the above, and that this team is capable of 7 or 8 regular season W's
CJP is correcting this by having real practices. Jones couldn’t develop players while conducting his style practices.
D007B5EF-94E6-4AA1-A8B1-F10CBDF0A223.gif

Reactions: Volman69
I’m hoping the inconsistencies in efforts CJP speaks of are caused by players who are ready to hit someone in another jersey. I’m hoping are d line is ready to penetrate the backfield not just initially hit and hold their ground. I’m hoping one of the QB’s believes he’s the guy and believes he can get it done. I’m hoping blocking and tackling are something our players realize isn’t just initial contact and quit on it’s something you follow thru on to a whistle. I’m hoping.

Reactions: FïreBall and Negan

VN Store

Back