Barbara Bush is in 'failing health,' won't seek additional medical treatment, family

I never said a cross word about Barbara Bush, just that I hoped she was in the frame of mind to make her own decision about the end of her life.

You all call me classless and whatever for pointing out an obvious difference. If this was Michelle or Hillary, there would be a parade on VolNation. I at least have the class to respect a woman from the other side of the aisle.

You weren't called classless for speaking ill of Barbara Bush. You were called classless for making your partisan assumptions in a thread about her passing. You have no idea how people would react because it hasn't happened. Assumptions like that make you look like an ass.

Reactions: 13 people
I never said a cross word about Barbara Bush, just that I hoped she was in the frame of mind to make her own decision about the end of her life.

You all call me classless and whatever for pointing out an obvious difference. If this was Michelle or Hillary, there would be a parade on VolNation. I at least have the class to respect a woman from the other side of the aisle.

Amazing the things people can justify in their own mind......

I mean lol. You are calling people classless for hypothetically doing something regarding an event that has not happened.

I would like to go ahead and lodge a complaint for how poorly liberals will treat first responders on the 50th anniversary of 9/11.

Reactions: 4 people
I make fun of those who've passed. Is it in bad taste, yes. Am I a POS, undoubtedly. However, it is generally decent to wait a while before lulzing.

The hideous-beast-tenured professor lacks any self awareness or decency.

She deserves a Pasadena mudslide In honor of CA

So Fresno State issued a weak ass memo referencing the first amendment. Could somebody explain to me how firing her ass violates the first amendment? No government organization is prosecuting her. If fired she’s just being held accountable for her actions. There is no threat of prosecution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Having the right to do something without fear of prosecution does not exclude the possibility of being held accountable for doing it outside of prosecution.

Castro took to Twitter himself Thursday to address Jarrar’s comments that sparked national outrage, saying that he too was “upset” and believes it is “important for us to condemn that part of what was done and said,” while stressing the need to “continue to role-model leadership” while upholding the First Amendment rights.

Last edited:
So Fresno State issued a weak ass memo referencing the first amendment. Could somebody explain to me how firing her ass violates the first amendment? No government organization is prosecuting her. If fired she’s just being held accountable for her actions. There is no threat of prosecution.

Having the right to do something without fear of prosecution does not exclude the possibility of being held accountable for doing it outside of prosecution.

It's called allowing the students to dictate policy/practice.......

It's the same reason white supremacists can spout their hate speech. In this case, Fresno State is a public college, so the government tie means the college can't fire her without being sued. There's more latitude with private institutions, as they can use other constitutional protections, like religion, to support actions that would not fly in a government institution. Sucks, but that's how the constitution works in this case.

Edit: If they have a code of conduct that they can show she violated, they may have grounds to do something, like suspend her or start a conduct record that could be used for future punitive action. Don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's the same reason white supremacists can spout their hate speech. In this case, Fresno State is a public college, so the government tie means the college can't fire her without being sued. There's more latitude with private institutions, as they can use other constitutional protections, like religion, to support actions that would not fly in a government institution. Sucks, but that's how the constitution works in this case.

Edit: If they have a code of conduct that they can show she violated, they may have grounds to do something, like suspend her or start a conduct record that could be used for future punitive action. Don't know.

Bull****, a white supremacist would be fired in a heartbeat even from a public institution.

Reactions: 1 person
Bull****, a white supremacist would be fired in a heartbeat even from a public institution.

On what grounds? What's the scenario? White supremacists have been allowed to speak on university campuses despite protesting for this very reason. If a public university blocked them from doing so, they'd get sued in a heartbeat. The government cannot suppress free speech per the constitution, and it doesn't matter how disgusting the speech is. Now, if threats are involved, that's different. I think this loon said something about she couldn't wait till the whole Bush family was dead. Not a threat, though.

On what grounds? What's the scenario? White supremacists have been allowed to speak on university campuses despite protesting for this very reason. If a public university blocked them from doing so, they'd get sued in a heartbeat. The government cannot suppress free speech per the constitution, and it doesn't matter how disgusting the speech is. Now, if threats are involved, that's different. I think this loon said something about she couldn't wait till the whole Bush family was dead. Not a threat, though.

Allowing someone to speak freely on campus is different than allowing an employee to speak hatred. It's far easier to say someone not in your employ does not represent your ideas. Someone speaks a racist comment, they get fired. How is this different? Hate is hate. There needs to be a consistent stance, and not a policy of it's okay for x, but not for y.

Member?

Teacher who hosted white nationalist podcast submits resignation - ABC News

Allowing someone to speak freely on campus is different than allowing an employee to speak hatred. It's far easier to say someone not in your employ does not represent your ideas. Someone speaks a racist comment, they get fired. How is this different? Hate is hate. There needs to be a consistent stance, and not a policy of it's okay for x, but not for y.

That's why I brought up potential code of conduct issues. She was making the statements as a private citizen, but then invoked her university position. If Fresno State has a code of conduct that describes inappropriate conduct in the name of the university, they may have grounds to apply punitive measures. If not, they're pretty much stuck. They could fire her, but she'd win a lawsuit. The government simply cannot suppress speech. Now, if people want to boycott her classes and effectively force her out, that could work. Basically, make things uncomfortable so she'll resign, like that middle school teacher.

Still should know when to STFU.

He's not a tenured prof that the free market can respond to.

Yeah, you don't disrespect a recently deceased Republican first lady before speaking at a Republican meeting. Not sure why they would have invited him in the first place. The guy is an idiot.

Yeah, you don't disrespect a recently deceased Republican first lady before speaking at a Republican meeting. Not sure why they would have invited him in the first place. The guy is an idiot.

He was speaking at a Okaloosa County Republican dinner. Not exactly national level to begin with.

And...news of this is out. I'd dare say others will shy away from invitations. He probably won't need the money, but it certainly isn't going to help his bottom line when others tell him thanks, no thanks for speaking engagements.

He was speaking at a Okaloosa County Republican dinner. Not exactly national level to begin with.

And...news of this is out. I'd dare say others will shy away from invitations. He probably won't need the money, but it certainly isn't going to help his bottom line when others tell him thanks, no thanks for speaking engagements.

He's also likely killed any chances of getting a position in Trump's administration.

VN Store

Back