Culinary, Arts, Thread.

I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you exactly how much, but I can tell you that you will need 5 or 6 dried guajillo chilies, 3 or 4 dried Ancho chilies and 2 or 3 Arbol chilies. May want to check my spelling on the guajillo, but its close.

You will also need some Abuelita Mexican Chocolate. My phone knew how to spell that! You won't need much, but its not really expensive and you will find others uses for it. Its pretty good stuff. Got a good mole recipe? Its used in the best ones.

My Public has all the peppers and the chocolate in the Hispanic section. If yours doesn't, I would try a Hispanic grocery if you have one near by, obviously.

Once you get the ingredients its easy. You'll need some fresh garlic too.
What then? Heading out to the market.

6 Guajillo
4 Ancho
2 Arbol
2 Cloves of garlic
Half of a triangle (pointed end) chocolate
Start with about a tsp of salt. May add more.
Small pinch of marjoram
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
About 4 cups water...give or take

Cut the stems off the pepper and cut them in half, length wise. Put them in a container and cover them with water. Let them soak for about an hour.

Put everything in a food processor or a blender. Start adding the water you used to soak the peppers in. I like to end up using about half the water the peppers were soaked in and half fresh. Salt to taste.

Strain.

It will get hotter, but not way hotter.

Oh boy!

Thanks, I’ll be cooking tonight or tomorrow.

Maybe I’ll figure out how to post pictures.

eta: so no cooking?

Dew it.

I've written them down on my list for the next time I'm at Publix. I try them all. I love potato chips.

My biggest potato chip disappointment I can remember would be Lays Tomato Basil. Nass-T.

Behr, do you have any recipes for stingray? Taking my oldest daughter stingray shooting on the 17th at Destin, along with her boyfriend. Hope to get a boat full.

Never have eaten Ray before. Hesrd it tastes a little like scallops.

Behr, do you have any recipes for stingray? Taking my oldest daughter stingray shooting on the 17th at Destin, along with her boyfriend. Hope to get a boat full.

Never have eaten Ray before. Hesrd it tastes a little like scallops.

If you've ever eaten scallops at a restaurant, or anywhere for that matter and they were all the same size and perfectly round, they were probably stingray or skate.

Grilled with a little olive oil and fresh garlic is my favorite for scallops.

Reactions: buckfama
If you've ever eaten scallops at a restaurant, or anywhere for that matter and they were all the same size and perfectly round, they were probably stingray or skate.

Can you cook them like fish fillets? How about deep frying?

You can deep fry, pan fry, boil, broil, bake, poach, steam, grill, saute, crock pot, smoke, cold smoke, ceviche, scallop, au gratin, kebob, blacken, jerk, Cajun, BBQ...I thank that's bout all they is.

Reactions: buckfama
Rumor has it that most scallops served at restaurants are punched out ray wing meat. Of course, this from the same mill that avers grouper on the menu isn't grouper on the plate but a cheaper more readily available fish (tilapia anyone?).

Behr’s Kitchen Confidential!

What about the “scallops” we buy? They’re different sizes, not particularly round, at least the ones I buy.

Reactions: Behr
Well, you’re no help, lol.

If store-bought scallops are different sizes and not particularly round, do we get to hope that they’re actually scallops, not cleverly carved chunks o’ sting ray??

Actually, I love them so much that I suppose I shouldn’t worry about it.

We grilled some the other night. Brushed with olive oil, then sea salt and pepper, then the tiniest bit of sugar on each flat side for char.

Then butter with minced garlic and Vidalia onions poured over them. * drools *

I think you're good Lima, its not as common now as it was 10,years ago, but it does still happen, especially at restaurants. Just look out for really white, perfectly shaped and uniform sized "scallops".

Reactions: VolNExile
Why didn't you like the red sauce?
Who, me?

I haven’t made it yet (Life Happened big time the last few days), but all the ingredients are on the work table, ready to go. I made the chicken enchilada filling, which is in the fridge, and really really really really hope to actually make enchiladas tomorrow. Also a separate batch of enchiladas with retried beans, corn, and black beans.

fingers crossed

8fb15fec52f532f7fcc3830045b4e28b.jpg

Not a fan of chili and don't make it often enough to even have a recipe. If I made it today, I would obviously be making it for someone and I would ask them what they liked and didn't like in theirs, and throw a bunch a chit together and call it chili.

Sounds good to me Tin man. I cheat with Mexican cornbread. I use Rotel and pepper jack/cheddar or ghost pepper chez.
I tried to "like" this again. :cool:

Reactions: Behr
@Behr, @crusse10, @DinkinFlicka

I wanted to thank you guys for suggesting Thursdays as a good time to visit a restaurant. You all were spot on! We had the greatest server, service, and food we've ever had anywhere. It was a perfect trifecta at Aubreys in Oak Ridge.

Sorry, but I didn't want to bump Biopsy's thread in the PUB. lol.

Thank, guys!

Reactions: crusse10 and Behr

VN Store

Back