Anyone on here from Miami?

There's a lot of cool stuff to do in New York and Chicago, and those people love their teams. LA isn't a great sports town either, but they do love the Lakers. Atlanta, IMO, doesn't exactly have a ton to do, but isn't a great sports town. I don't really see much of a correlation.

I think one thing that good sports towns have in common is that they aren't transient cities, either because they aren't very nice places to live (Cleveland) or for some other reason. Boston and Chicago, for example, are large metro areas that have people from all over but there seems to be a relatively large group of people in those cities that are native to those cities. They grew up watching the Cubs, Red Sox, Celtics, Bulls, or whatever it is and are diehard fans. If you moved to Atlanta or Miami from somewhere else, which a ton of people living in those cities did, you probably aren't going to be a fan of the Falcons or Dolphins.

I think the average New Yorker doesn't care at all about football. You just have an inherent bias to believe that b/c you do like football. Especially lately, NFL ratings are in a death spiral

Curious about this myself, I moved to Miami in May.

The South Florida Miami-Ft.Lauderdale UT chapter meets at Shenanigans Sports Pub in Hollywood on game day. There is also a Palm Beach alumni chapter that meets at a sport bar too but can't remember where. I used to go and it's pretty cool because they raffle prizes during halftime.

Reactions: hibbs
The South Florida Miami-Ft.Lauderdale UT chapter meets at Shenanigans Sports Pub in Hollywood on game day. There is also a Palm Beach alumni chapter that meets at a sport bar too but can't remember where. I used to go and it's pretty cool because they raffle prizes during halftime.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: CeJayVols
I think the average New Yorker doesn't care at all about football. You just have an inherent bias to believe that b/c you do like football. Especially lately, NFL ratings are in a death spiral
New Yorkers don't like college football. New Yorkers will always like the Yankees more than the Giants/Jets, but that's because of history (Yankees have just been around forever and are almost always competitive). The Jets in particular have lots of loyal, downtrodden fans that are gluttons for punishment (remind you of a particular college fanbase that wears orange)?

Thanks for the info.

Hey just saw that the UT chapter for Miami-Ft. Lauderdale changed it to Frankey's Sports Bar on Hallandale Beach. Address is 900 Silks Run, Building 1720, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009 . Located in the village at Gulfstream Park area. Just posting in case anyone from Miami or Broward wants to join other Vols for 1st game.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
Hey just saw that the UT chapter for Miami-Ft. Lauderdale changed it to Frankey's Sports Bar on Hallandale Beach. Address is 900 Silks Run, Building 1720, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009 . Located in the village at Gulfstream Park area. Just posting in case anyone from Miami or Broward wants to join other Vols for 1st game.

Cool, thanks. I was looking that place up the other day for some reason, no idea why. I may head up there for the game.

VN Store

Back