Anyone at Rocky Top Tip-off?

Love Spears, but what kind of pants did he have on ? He was wrong for that

Reactions: hep
I was there. Yes, Fulmer handed out rings. I was hoping for a little more scrimmage type action, but still had a good time. I waited in line for 45 minutes for a picture and autograph that never happened.

Side note...if Yves Pons gets married to a girl named Tammy, do you think she will change her last name?

Love Spears, but what kind of pants did he have on ? He was wrong for that

I know. He wore than same outfit on SEC Nation just a short time before I saw that video is why I recognized him. That crew always dresses casual on Friday afternoons, but there is casual, and then there is 'this look shouldn't be seen outside of the house' casual.

Reactions: The Dog
I was there. Yes, Fulmer handed out rings. I was hoping for a little more scrimmage type action, but still had a good time. I waited in line for 45 minutes for a picture and autograph that never happened.

Side note...if Yves Pons gets married to a girl named Tammy, do you think she will change her last name?

LoL. Nice

I really hope the crowd gives support this year. This team is special. No egotistical 1 and done players. Grant and Admiral and I'll even say Alexander are true leaders and genuinely nice guys. This team deserves a solid crowd each game night. Not just the big games.

Reactions: gordonr24
It could be so much better it makes my head hurt, I’m glad they do something and allow the meet and greets for kids and stuff but the layout of the whole thing is just really bad...it could be so much better which would also increase interest and attendance.

My thoughts...

-Loved the new player stage intro’s with the music and smoke machines, that is something you see at the big time places, nice new touch.

-Cut our 75% of the cheers, so much dead time and trying to teach the crowd cheers, it’s like a bad pep rally, just cut all that out and increase the D.J. music.

-Stop trying to integrate the girls with the guys so much, I get it but the draw is the men and you are watering down their events by trying to involve them together.

-Half court shot...last night they pulled 4 girls and 4 guys to see who could make first, first girl made hers so it was done. Change this to what NBA All-Star does, guy/girl/maybe coach or former player 3 man team. First shot is baseline 15 footer, 2nd is 3pt and then half court shot, you let 1 team go at a time and best time wins.

-3pt contest...last night they had Turner, Bowden, Fleschman, Woodson out there teamed up with 4 girls. Girls shot 3 racks and guys shot 2 racks, going on both sides of the court so nobody had a clue what each team had for a score until it was over and they counted. Instead...split them up, if you wanna allow the girls to do one go ahead, have 4 of them go all 5 racks 1 at a time so everybody knows the score and builds some drama. Let’s 2 high scorers go again for championship, do the same thing with guys, play music instead of silence.

Dunk contest- they had Pons, Johnson and Fulkerson go...not too much of a complain here, maybe would’ve like to have seen 1-2 more guys go and they maybe do 1 dunk each and top 2 advance type thing but nothing too bad about the way they did last nights.

-my biggest complaint is the dead time, the pep rally feel cheers, and the unorganized feel. They did the 3pt contest and gave 30 seconds at first, neither side made it halfway so they gave 45 seconds, the crowd had to yell 1min to get them to give them more time, just a bad look that is easy fix if you had watched any events like this. I also thought it was bad planning to have your biggest names (Williams, Schofield and Bone) as non-participants in any event, you have to find a way to change that even if it’s just putting them in the 3 man skill competition or something.

JMO, TL;DR

Reactions: BreatheUT and Freak
It could be so much better it makes my head hurt, I’m glad they do something and allow the meet and greets for kids and stuff but the layout of the whole thing is just really bad...it could be so much better which would also increase interest and attendance.
Agreed. It seemed dysfunctional at times.

Very much so, which was disappointing given that they had same issues last year. To me it seems like people who have never watched another midnight madness event or NBA All-Star game are the ones who put it together.

Can’t really take much from it, but fleschman can shoot. Maybe he gets some minutes in the future. Could be your new Mcbee.

Very much so, which was disappointing given that they had same issues last year. To me it seems like people who have never watched another midnight madness event or NBA All-Star game are the ones who put it together.
It's always been like that, unfortunately. Even going back to the days when they first started it. The AD needs to invest some money into a firm that puts on these kind of events and allow them to organize it, publicize it, and run it with the coaches. For an athletic department with our resources, for them to run out some Upward basketball carnival atmosphere is inexcusable. And they seemingly dont learn from the mistakes, or don't even realize what an unorganized sideshow it is. If I am a 5* kid in attendance, and then I also attend UK's Big Blue Madness, and those are my first impressions, it's a no-brainer which school takes basketball serious.

If you are going to do an event like this, invest and do it properly. Don't just throw it together.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
It's always been like that, unfortunately. Even going back to the days when they first started it. The AD needs to invest some money into a firm that puts on these kind of events and allow them to organize it, publicize it, and run it with the coaches. For an athletic department with our resources, for them to run out some Upward basketball carnival atmosphere is inexcusable. And they seemingly dont learn from the mistakes, or don't even realize what an unorganized sideshow it is. If I am a 5* kid in attendance, and then I also attend UK's Big Blue Madness, and those are my first impressions, it's a no-brainer which school takes basketball serious.

If you are going to do an event like this, invest and do it properly. Don't just throw it together.

What’s most frustrating is the common sense stuff, it truly seems put together by a pep rally crew instead of anyone who has watched these kinds of events.

Everything is there and available to do it right, the facilities and team around it are great, the actual product just wasn’t very good and majority of it isn’t anything that would cost a dime, just better planning.

I hate to read the disappointing review, but I can't say I'm surprised...Our team deserves full-ass support from the AD.

I hate to read the disappointing review, but I can't say I'm surprised...Our team deserves full-ass support from the AD.

He was there, I doubt he told them no on anything, I just think it probably was put together by a group of people that shouldn’t have been putting it together. Jmo

He was there, I doubt he told them no on anything, I just think it probably was put together by a group of people that shouldn’t have been putting it together. Jmo
I meant athletic department as a whole.

There needs to be a culture change with the fans too. I get how football is more popular, but I don't get how so many hardcore fans are apathetic about basketball. I work with the public, and I can't believe how many people give me a dumbfounded look when I tell them I'm excited about basketball season.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I meant athletic department as a whole.

There needs to be a culture change with the fans too. I get how football is more popular, but I don't get how so many hardcore fans are apathetic about basketball. I work with the public, and I can't believe how many people give me a dumbfounded look when I tell them I'm excited about basketball season.

It’s improving, obviously mostly due to the winning...the attendance last night I thought was better than expected and the fact season ticket sales are up and 3 games are already sold out is a good sign.

I'm fairly certain everyone in this thread could plan a more exciting event. Maybe we should petition UTand see if they will allow some die-hard Bball fans to work with the planning of the next one. I'd love to help

Reactions: Chris4Vols22

VN Store

Back