Analyst says Vols D could be like SB champion Broncos

I'll have what this guy is consuming...
Kongbo may be much improved this season, but he isn't a Von Miller.
The sad part is that if went to Alabama or some other school with competent coaching, he almost certainly would have been a great college player. I don't know about drafted 2nd overall and becoming one of the best defensive players in the NFL, but certainly a high draft pick.

It's a testament to how incompetent Butch and his staffs were that a 6'6'', 265 lb pass rusher with great quickness that had offers from every top school in the nation was invisible for 2 years. He's been invisible even against scrub teams.

It'll be a miracle if our defense finishes in the top 25 this year. The Broncos' defense was one of the top units in the NFL of all time. Any comparison between the two is obvious click bait, and shouldn't be propagated.

Exiting fantasy land... we've had a defense plagued by injuries for several years in a row now. We could see a larger turnaround than you'd expect if we just manage to stay healthy. If Pruitt is the coach that we hope him to be, I would expect our defense to be formidable by the end of the year. At the very least, I just hope he can keep the right number of players on the field and not make ridiculous calls that cost us a game. Otherwise, we'll be in for another painful 3 year stretch while we wait for fans to get fed up enough to stop attending games so that we can try again.

Reactions: livefaith
I know Pruitt has said that it won’t be really any different. But I think he runs a completely different scheme then last year. I believe He wants to be able to play man to man with the corners, blitz heavy on the outside and get to the q.b. Granit, lining up from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB isn’t all that different. Maybe Kongbo will be standing up a lot to try and get a faster step on the rush. It will be exciting to see! No, I dont think we’re anywhere close to where this defense will be( #1 in the Nation) as of now. But this is the first step and we’re only going up from here.

Here’s Pruitt’s comments on the changes from what our guys will be asked to do as a 4-3 DE vs a 3-4 OLB...,

-"The first thing we're looking for in an outside linebacker is we're looking for a guy to rush the quarterback," Pruitt said

-“From Jonathan playing outside linebacker, really when we're recruiting outside linebackers, we're recruiting pass rushers. We're not worried a whole lot about dropping into coverage.”

-“I don't see our 3-4 outside linebackers any different than a 4-3 defensive end."

We all have to remember that last year, our offense was so offensive, it left our lack of coached defense on the field for way too long which is why we were able to keep games close but peter out in the 4th quarter. Freakin Butch and his lack of how to use talent. He's was the kind of man that would buy the top dragster in the world and then run a dirt track race with it and wonder why it didn't win but be satisfied that it at least showed up to the race.

Reactions: FïreBall
Can we just focus on the phrase "We haven't seen a single down yet..."?

Look, I'm all for being excited, and I believe that we have some serious talent on this football team, and especially on defense. And I am a believer in Jeremy Pruitt, and believe he is going to do great things here, and would not be surprised at all to see a season that is 9-3.

But stuff like this? All it does is puts huge expectations on guys who are freshly learning a system, not recruited for this scheme of defense, and a coach that has had them all of what, 30 practices when it's all said and done, and not even all of them at that?

Again, I am optimistic, and believe the best for my Vols. But let's just let this team be who they're going to be and enjoy watching their growth and development. They're not going to be the Broncos, and there is no Von Miller. There ARE a lot of guys who are very talented and play with heart. Let's leave it at that. Because you can do a lot of good things with talent, heart, and hard work.

It'll be a miracle if our defense finishes in the top 25 this year. The Broncos' defense was one of the top units in the NFL of all time. Any comparison between the two is obvious click bait, and shouldn't be propagated.

Exiting fantasy land... we've had a defense plagued by injuries for several years in a row now. We could see a larger turnaround than you'd expect if we just manage to stay healthy. If Pruitt is the coach that we hope him to be, I would expect our defense to be formidable by the end of the year. At the very least, I just hope he can keep the right number of players on the field and not make ridiculous calls that cost us a game. Otherwise, we'll be in for another painful 3 year stretch while we wait for fans to get fed up enough to stop attending games so that we can try again.
At the very least, lining up ON the line of scrimmage instead of a yard or two back will be a vast improvement.

Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really from what we saw last season. Guess we will see.

Lol. Our defense looked awful in the Spring game vs our very suspect offense. No, no time soon is this defense gonna look or act like one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. I have no doubt that Pruitt will have it up to snuff and playing well, even very well in a year or two. But this “comparison” by the author is the stuff of fairytales.

Let me also add that Calhoun badly misunderstands what “the switch from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB” means for Taylor and Kongbo. In Pruitt’s own words, “you all are making way too much of it”....the change will be virtually nothing...they’ll line up a step or so wider and still rush the qb, exactly like they did last year.

And if anybody is taking anything Caleb Calhoun says seriously....lol, that’s on you.
Idk if the spring game is a good measuring bar or not because its nationally televised and very vanilla on top of that there are 30 players in fall camp that wasnt in spring camp um pretty sure 30 new players changes your team dramatically

Reactions: OrangeShades
Caleb Calhoun should call the addiction network and get the help he needs. He has a serious drug problem.

Remember the 2015 year where the Broncos D brought a struggling Peyton Manning to the Super Bowl. This analyst thinks there is potential enough with our recruits to be similar to that with Pruitt’s new 3-4 scheme. I love the fact we have the big boys (including Kongo) playing primarily a blitzing outside backer. (I think they will usually send at least one of them on a blitz) I think we are heading in this direction. We haven’t seen a single down yet, but from practice observation and what we’ve seen and heard, this looks like the route we taking. I dont think we’re gonna all the sudden have Bama’s level of talent and execution on Defense this year, but I do think we’ll be vastly improved. We will be improved enough to give the WV offense all they can handle, I believe enough to win the game. I’m crawling out of my skin waiting for the first game. Do you fellow Vols(or anyone) believe our Defense will take a huge turn into an elite Defense by the end of this year? I hope we adapt fast to the new scheme. I hope It’s simple enough to do so, but complicated enough to drive an OC crazy, if that makes sense. Go Vols!
I don't think we quite have elite depth just yet. Could I envision a scenario where we finish in the top half of the conference in total defense and or scoring defense ?! Absolutely. That should get us to 7-8 wins.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
That was one of the best defenses in modern football history... Let’s slow down a bit shall we.

I think the defense will be improved, even if by 1%, that's the goal right er.....I mean sorry. ha. But no we will not have a SB caliber defense but I think we will be much improved on that side of the ball. Might even be able to tackle a RB this year.

Reactions: FïreBall
The sad part is that if went to Alabama or some other school with competent coaching, he almost certainly would have been a great college player. I don't know about drafted 2nd overall and becoming one of the best defensive players in the NFL, but certainly a high draft pick.

It's a testament to how incompetent Butch and his staffs were that a 6'6'', 265 lb pass rusher with great quickness that had offers from every top school in the nation was invisible for 2 years. He's been invisible even against scrub teams.
I highly doubt it with Kongbo. Bama brought him in for a visit and passed on him. He’s a 5 Star athlete but not a 5 Star football player

I highly doubt it with Kongbo. Bama brought him in for a visit and passed on him. He’s a 5 Star athlete but not a 5 Star football player
Bama offered him, as did FSU, USC, Auburn, Florida, Ohio St, and Oklahoma, among others. He could have gone basically anywhere in the country.

We all have to remember that last year, our offense was so offensive, it left our lack of coached defense on the field for way too long which is why we were able to keep games close but peter out in the 4th quarter. Freakin Butch and his lack of how to use talent. He's was the kind of man that would buy the top dragster in the world and then run a dirt track race with it and wonder why it didn't win but be satisfied that it at least showed up to the race.

We had nearly a 50/50 split in time of possession last year, resulting in the defense being on the field for about a minute and half more per game than our defense.

Was our offense bad? Yes, absolutely. But our defense was every bit equally as bad if not moreso and if our defense hadn’t been so atrocious, they could’ve gotten off the field, easily flipped the time of possession by 2-3 minutes on average per game and actually given our offense more opportunities to play and score. It’s a 2-way street. And if the opposing defense plays well and forces our offense into a 3 and out, there’s no rule that says our defense can’t do the same....which they virtually never did last year.

VN Store

Back