Aliens Caused Global Warming - Scientific Consensus

Climategate has shown the that environmental scientists can no longer be taken at their word. Put simply–they are as capable of lying as politicians. Now comes news that a group of radical climate change believers, in an attempt to remove the “Medieval Warm Period” from existence and to instead jam the hockey stick up our ass, they coordinated efforts to alter Wikipedia’s climate change pages. Read this incredible–but not unbelievable, if you fully understand Wikipedia–story. Here is an excerpt:

…One person in the nine-member Realclimate.org team — U.K. scientist and Green Party activist William Connolley — would take on particularly crucial duties.

Connolley took control of all things climate in the most used information source the world has ever known – Wikipedia. Starting in February 2003, just when opposition to the claims of the band members were beginning to gel, Connolley set to work on the Wikipedia site. He rewrote Wikipedia’s articles on global warming, on the greenhouse effect, on the instrumental temperature record, on the urban heat island, on climate models, on global cooling. On Feb. 14, he began to erase the Little Ice Age; on Aug.11, the Medieval Warm Period. In October, he turned his attention to the hockey stick graph. He rewrote articles on the politics of global warming and on the scientists who were skeptical of the band. Richard Lindzen and Fred Singer, two of the world’s most distinguished climate scientists, were among his early targets, followed by others that the band especially hated, such as Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, authorities on the Medieval Warm Period.

All told, Connolley created or rewrote 5,428 unique Wikipedia articles. His control over Wikipedia was greater still, however, through the role he obtained at Wikipedia as a website administrator, which allowed him to act with virtual impunity. When Connolley didn’t like the subject of a certain article, he removed it — more than 500 articles of various descriptions disappeared at his hand. When he disapproved of the arguments that others were making, he often had them barred — over 2,000 Wikipedia contributors who ran afoul of him found themselves blocked from making further contributions. Acolytes whose writing conformed to Connolley’s global warming views, in contrast, were rewarded with Wikipedia’s blessings. In these ways, Connolley turned Wikipedia into the missionary wing of the global warming movement

yet (at least I don't think but I'm sure you'll come up with an "recalibrated" version) Bart:

Torneträsk tree-ring width and density ad 500–2004: a test of climatic sensitivity and a new 1500-year reconstruction of north Fennoscandian summers

Håkan Grudd

Download PDF (1,199 KB)
View Article

Abstract

This paper presents updated tree-ring width (TRW) and maximum density (MXD) from Torneträsk in northern Sweden, now covering the period ad 500–2004. By including data from relatively young trees for the most recent period, a previously noted decline in recent MXD is eliminated. Non-climatological growth trends in the data are removed using Regional Curve Standardization (RCS), thus producing TRW and MXD chronologies with preserved low-frequency variability. The chronologies are calibrated using local and regional instrumental climate records. A bootstrapped response function analysis using regional climate data shows that tree growth is forced by April–August temperatures and that the regression weights for MXD are much stronger than for TRW. The robustness of the reconstruction equation is verified by independent temperature data and shows that 63–64% of the instrumental inter-annual variation is captured by the tree-ring data. This is a significant improvement compared to previously published reconstructions based on tree-ring data from Torneträsk. A divergence phenomenon around ad 1800, expressed as an increase in TRW that is not paralleled by temperature and MXD, is most likely an effect of major changes in the density of the pine population at this northern tree-line site. The bias introduced by this TRW phenomenon is assessed by producing a summer temperature reconstruction based on MXD exclusively. The new data show generally higher temperature estimates than previous reconstructions based on Torneträsk tree-ring data. The late-twentieth century, however, is not exceptionally warm in the new record: On decadal-to-centennial timescales, periods around ad 750, 1000, 1400, and 1750 were equally warm, or warmer. The 200-year long warm period centered on ad 1000 was significantly warmer than the late-twentieth century (p < 0.05) and is supported by other local and regional paleoclimate data. The new tree-ring evidence from Torneträsk suggests that this “Medieval Warm Period” in northern Fennoscandia was much warmer than previously recognized.

Attachments

• Grudd-2008.gif
    Grudd-2008.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bump:

Actually Sandvol that paper is publicly available so you could have read it. If you had you'd know your little blurb is neither the abstract nor the editor’s summary, and the graph you attached is not present in the paper. Here’s their actual result:

moberg.png

And their conclusion:

“We find no evidence for any earlier periods in the last two millennia with warmer conditions than the post-1990 period—in agreement with previous similar studies.”

So once again you’ve copypasted BS from a ‘skeptic’ disinformation site (CO2 Science) without doing any fact-checking yourself. Good job restoring your credibility :p

SV I’m not interesting in tracking down and debunking your random claims, comical as it may be. I’ll be happy to discuss the contents of a paper if you read the paper first. Many are publicly available (just google “paper name” +pdf), so if you have “a lot more” you shouldn’t have any trouble quoting peer-reviewed work directly.

I don’t understand your obsession with the hockey stick or MWP, but to settle this issue once and for all let’s look at the results of the PAGES 2K synthesis. It’s the largest reconstruction to date (published 2013) with 78 researchers contributing as co-authors from 60 separate institutions around the world. They used tree rings, pollen, corals, lake and marine sediments, ice cores, stalagmites and historical documents from 511 locations. The paper, also published in Nature, is called Continental-scale temperature variability during the past two millennia. It’s not publicly available but I did find this article for you which contains some of the figures and pertinent information. I want to point out one figure in particular:

pages2k.png

And some quotes from the paper:

"The period from around AD 830 to 1100 generally encompassed a sustained warm interval in all four Northern Hemisphere regions. In South America and Australasia, a sustained warm period occurred later, from around AD 1160 to 1370."

"Our regional temperature reconstructions also show little evidence for globally synchronized multi-decadal shifts that would mark well-defined worldwide MWP and LIA intervals. Instead, the specific timing of peak warm and cold intervals varies regionally, with multi-decadal variability resulting in regionally specific temperature departures from an underlying global cooling trend."

“The global warming that has occurred since the end of the nineteenth century reversed a persistent long-term global cooling trend. The increase in average temperature between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries exceeded the temperature difference between all other consecutive centuries in each region, except Antarctica and South America."

So, like I said, there’s regional variability in warming and cooling. But on the whole the global warming since the end of the 19th century is unprecedented in recent history.

Sandvol did you read either paper you posted? Or did you just copy and paste from the same disinformation site? I gave you 511 reconstructions, and you come back with two. And guess what?

on the Boothia Peninsula, Nunavut, Canada... the MWP occurred between AD 1200 and 1500.
in northern Sweden...The 200-year long warm period centered on ad 1000 was significantly warmer

Your two locations show regional variability as well :)

I also thoroughly enjoyed your sob story about a climate scientist editing climate science wikis. I doubt 'skeptics' would ever sabotage wikipedia…

Mods, now that the thread has devolved into Sandvol's ramblings (not about aliens), can we finally merge it with the other dumpster fire?

Reactions: 1 person
Climategate has shown the that environmental scientists can no longer be taken at their word. Put simply–they are as capable of lying as politicians. Now comes news that a group of radical climate change believers, in an attempt to remove the “Medieval Warm Period” from existence and to instead jam the hockey stick up our ass, they coordinated efforts to alter Wikipedia’s climate change pages. Read this incredible–but not unbelievable, if you fully understand Wikipedia–story. Here is an excerpt:

…One person in the nine-member Realclimate.org team — U.K. scientist and Green Party activist William Connolley — would take on particularly crucial duties.

Connolley took control of all things climate in the most used information source the world has ever known – Wikipedia. Starting in February 2003, just when opposition to the claims of the band members were beginning to gel, Connolley set to work on the Wikipedia site. He rewrote Wikipedia’s articles on global warming, on the greenhouse effect, on the instrumental temperature record, on the urban heat island, on climate models, on global cooling. On Feb. 14, he began to erase the Little Ice Age; on Aug.11, the Medieval Warm Period. In October, he turned his attention to the hockey stick graph. He rewrote articles on the politics of global warming and on the scientists who were skeptical of the band. Richard Lindzen and Fred Singer, two of the world’s most distinguished climate scientists, were among his early targets, followed by others that the band especially hated, such as Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, authorities on the Medieval Warm Period.

All told, Connolley created or rewrote 5,428 unique Wikipedia articles. His control over Wikipedia was greater still, however, through the role he obtained at Wikipedia as a website administrator, which allowed him to act with virtual impunity. When Connolley didn’t like the subject of a certain article, he removed it — more than 500 articles of various descriptions disappeared at his hand. When he disapproved of the arguments that others were making, he often had them barred — over 2,000 Wikipedia contributors who ran afoul of him found themselves blocked from making further contributions. Acolytes whose writing conformed to Connolley’s global warming views, in contrast, were rewarded with Wikipedia’s blessings. In these ways, Connolley turned Wikipedia into the missionary wing of the global warming movement

Well, there goes all of Barty's sources.

Bump:

Sandvol did you read either paper you posted? Or did you just copy and paste from the same disinformation site? I gave you 511 reconstructions, and you come back with two. And guess what?

I also thoroughly enjoyed your sob story about a climate scientist editing climate science wikis. I doubt 'skeptics' would ever sabotage wikipedia…

Mods, now that the thread has devolved into Sandvol's ramblings (not about aliens), can we finally merge it with the other dumpster fire?

Bud, you are losing this battle. You have to stop answering Sand with more questions and more BS. Address what he is posting directly.

Actually this whole discussion is getting old. Am enjoying the denialist vs CC sycophant battle, but the posts are way too long for those of use with a short attention span. And once again I ask (Bart ignored this one the first time through also), who really gives a shiite? I don't, my kids don't, their kids most likely won't and their kids will be worried about surviving Jellystone blowing up.

Bump:

OK, I've gotten you to concede at least two locales had higher temperatures during the MWP. Just a few more to go.

Almost as sad as your permafrost sob story WAHHHHHH!. But, really Bart that's a pretty sad indictment of what climate science has devolved into. Quackery at its best. Partisan statist radical agenda at its worst.

Well spoken from the master rambler.

Last edited:
OK, I've gotten you to concede at least two locales had higher temperatures during the MWP. Just a few more to go.
I never denied that some locales are as warm today as during the MWP. You can tell as much from the regional temperature figures I posted. The point is that global average temperature wasn’t higher. It seems you still can’t grasp the difference between local and global. “A few more” locations won’t prove your claim. Find me a global multi-proxy reconstruction using hundreds of locations like the PAGES 2K synthesis or Mann et al. 2009 and then we’ll talk.

Remember, cherry-picking is one of the five characteristics of denialism...

Almost as sad as your permafrost sob story WAHHHHHH!. But, really Bart that's a pretty sad indictment of what climate science has devolved into. Quackery at its best. Partisan statist radical agenda at its worst.
Says the self-professed market fundy who worships Fred Singer :crazy:

Btw, thawing permafrost is a serious engineering challenge. Especially if we all move to the north pole like TRUT suggests.

permafrost-thaw.jpg

tumblr_m81z3yleQa1rrskxx.png

permafrost_subsidence.gif

Well spoken from the master rambler.
tumblr_m3a3n3ZBGF1r5hfkb.gif

Actually this whole discussion is getting old. Am enjoying the denialist vs CC sycophant battle, but the posts are way too long for those of use with a short attention span. And once again I ask (Bart ignored this one the first time through also), who really gives a shiite? I don't, my kids don't, their kids most likely won't and their kids will be worried about surviving Jellystone blowing up.

I've answered this before, but I'll do it again.

First off: if you don’t care, why post? It always baffles me how people feel the need to make it known how little they care about a thread. The official thread has lasted over 3 years and ~3000 posts so obviously some people care. I also don’t get the whole “it won’t affect me” sentiment. Unless you’re one of the resident dinosaurs you’re going to feel the effects of climate change within your lifetime. Carbon pricing is coming whether you like it or not.

You’re right about one thing though; this thread is getting old. Now that it’s just ‘the regulars’ I’m headin back to the other thread

I never denied that some locales are as warm today as during the MWP. You can tell as much from the regional temperature figures I posted. The point is that global average temperature wasn’t higher. It seems you still can’t grasp the difference between local and global. “A few more” locations won’t prove your claim. Find me a global multi-proxy reconstruction using hundreds of locations like the PAGES 2K synthesis or Mann et al. 2009 and then we’ll talk.

Remember, cherry-picking is one of the five characteristics of denialism...

Says the self-professed market fundy who worships Fred Singer :crazy:

Btw, thawing permafrost is a serious engineering challenge. Especially if we all move to the north pole like TRUT suggests.

permafrost-thaw.jpg

tumblr_m81z3yleQa1rrskxx.png

tumblr_m3a3n3ZBGF1r5hfkb.gif

I must have some thawing permafrost in my back yard. I have three slumping trees.

The abandoned Copper River and Northwestern Railway near Strelna in south-central Alaska illustrates how building a railroad on permafrost thaw can cause the railroad bed to settle unevenly. Although maintenance and use of the railroad was halted in 1938, lateral displacement continues today. (Image courtesy of U.S. Geological Survey)

Attachments

• permafrost_subsidence.gif
    66.1 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back