'19 AL DT LeDarrius Cox (Ole Miss signee)

COX UPDATE

***** There has been some real chatter behind the scenes here about AU giving him a lot to think about. The distance from home is a huge appeal for the in-state school. Cox wants to say all the right things, and that is why he is not talking much about his recruitment.

-- Simmons

Cox visited auburn shortly after committing and made it clear his recruitment was open. Fair game for us to return the favor when we found some better options
Stated he was going to take visits in his commitment announcement. Also said he was 110% committed...for now.

But I would LOVE to keep him along with all the big guys we already have. We are certainly preparing ourselves for when those seniors leave after this year with big bodies.

Inevitable. I even think UTs staff are already looking for replacements. I want to flip Charles Moore over to UT, if or when we lose Cox
Reading the tea leaves tells me they don't even consider him a part of this class. He was a soft commitment from the beginning. Classic case of just committing somewhere to hold a spot and drum up interest.

Reactions: Orange Swagger
Reading the tea leaves tells me they don't even consider him a part of this class. He was a soft commitment from the beginning. Classic case of just committing somewhere to hold a spot and drum up interest.

Yea this is the risk of recruiting the better players in Alabama. You always gotta worry about Ala and AU flipping an instate kid. Betting he isn't part of our class.

I’m sure he won’t be, but I don’t see a lot of fat to trim. Pruitt and Co have taken guys they want based upon camp performance at positions we need.
and supposedly its a Butch Jones move to take a commitment and then plan to take a better player later.

I’m sure he won’t be, but I don’t see a lot of fat to trim. Pruitt and Co have taken guys they want based upon camp performance at positions we need.

Very true, but on the field performance can change things. Underperforming can get you recruited over and offer pulled. Young guys on our roster developing early and performing well can change the numbers on guys you want at certain positions. Just have to figure it out much sooner now with the early signing period.

Reactions: SugarCC
Very true, but on the field performance can change things. Underperforming can get you recruited over and offer pulled. Young guys on our roster developing early and performing well can change the numbers on guys you want at certain positions. Just have to figure it out much sooner now with the early signing period.
yep, with a sr. season for all these guys to play, there's a lot that can happen, good and bad. which is why these summer camps were sooo important. if guys you think you might want, don't camp with you, then you have to either go with what you've seen or try to evaluate from other camps and tape or scouting reports from your scouts at HS games in the fall. it just is what it is.

and you still get opportunities during the season to get guys for OV's and UOV's to continue to evaluate and/or build relationships with prospects and commits.

even with the shortened calendar with the ESP, it's still a marathon. long way to go.

and supposedly its a Butch Jones move to take a commitment and then plan to take a better player later.

Lol..Yea I hope nobody believed that. Butch is a POS tool, youbut even that is something every coach does based on how recruits play their SR year. Much harder tnow o take chances on many recruits you think can be diamonds in the rough. Luckily , we have really good evaluator's. Butch was a quantity over quality guy with the big classes he signed.

yep, with a sr. season for all these guys to play, there's a lot that can happen, good and bad. which is why these summer camps were sooo important. if guys you think you might want, don't camp with you, then you have to either go with what you've seen or try to evaluate from other camps and tape or scouting reports from your scouts at HS games in the fall. it just is what it is.

and you still get opportunities during the season to get guys for OV's and UOV's to continue to evaluate and/or build relationships with prospects and commits.

even with the shortened calendar with the ESP, it's still a marathon. long way to go.

Absolutely..some players start peaking their SR year while others kinda cap out. Or just don't fit what you want after seeing them playing out their SR year. Not being able to oversign, back count or make up extra numbers makes having great evaluator's that much more important. Can't take many chances on borderline recruits these days.

exactly and if you trust your evaluation skills and that of your staff, then if you find what you want from a guy that camps with you.....you're more than likely going to go with what you already know.

of course there's a group of prospects that don't necessarily fit in that category, those upper level, top tier 5* guys....generally, i don't see too many coaches going against the grain and saying "nope, not our type". but to take a low 4* or 3* guy because you've seen him w/your own eyes...well, like i said, go w/what you know.

we'll all find out if they're good at evaluating or not in time.... :)

Lol..Yea I hope nobody believed that. Butch is a POS tool, youbut even that is something every coach does based on how recruits play their SR year. Much harder tnow o take chances on many recruits you think can be diamonds in the rough. Luckily , we have really good evaluator's. Butch was a quantity over quality guy with the big classes he signed.
I see it as the same issue, big class or small. if you can only take 17 and you have 15 committed by July, its just as bad as if you can take 30 and have 25 by July.

I see it as the same issue, big class or small. if you can only take 17 and you have 15 committed by July, its just as bad as if you can take 30 and have 25 by July.

Seems to be a common trend nowadays. Ala has 20, Clemson 22, Tex A'M 25, Ga 17, LSU 19.Ole Miss has 26 already..They will all drop, lose and add some by December and February. You can take some chance's with 30, not so much with 20-22. It's the cutthroat nature of recruiting these days.

We have 2 NTs committed in Simmons and Williams. Do we have space for 3 with all of our other needs? I'm sure the coaches would love to have 3, but with the conversion, we need some 34 DEs. Guess we'll see which way the coaches go.

We have 2 NTs committed in Simmons and Williams. Do we have space for 3 with all of our other needs? I'm sure the coaches would love to have 3, but with the conversion, we need some 34 DEs. Guess we'll see which way the coaches go.
Williams will most likely primarily play end or DT tho. In some packages he’ll man the nose, but I don’t think he’s being counted as a get there.

Williams will most likely primarily play end or DT tho. In some packages he’ll man the nose, but I don’t think he’s being counted as a get there.
William's is listed at 314 right now with a good build. I would imagine he would gain some more muscle weight before next year. I think he is def a NT.

William's is listed at 314 right now with a good build. I would imagine he would gain some more muscle weight before next year. I think he is def a NT.
As I said, he can play it. That’s not going to be his primary spot tho imo. He’s explosive so I see him at DT or DE. NT in pass rushing situations and when Gooden/Simmons sit.

Reactions: T Dog

That is a vast oversimplification of what makes someone a NT. It is way more than a weight listed on a recruiting website. Height, build, strength, agility all go into the decision. Plenty of 300+ pound DT/DE in a 3-4.

VN Store

Back