After years of spread offense, Vols 'have a fullback now'

No Tommy Bronson? No Richard Pickens? No Curt Watson?

Yeah, I was thinking Richard Pickens. He graduated from Young High (now a parking lot/Kroger in S Knoxville) a few years before I did, and was one of my heroes from my early days as a Vols fan.

Edit: but that would have been before a lot of today's VN was born...

Reactions: 1 person
Use the talent on the roster to dictate what our offense will be
Can't put round peg in a square hole

Disagree. We can't wait for Butch's players to leave to show high school prospects what our style of play will be. If that costs us a game or two in the short run? We can deal with that.

I hear what you're saying... but there is nothing physical about putting your QB in shotgun on 3rd and 1 and handing the ball to your back without a lead blocker. We did that all the time under Jones.

Agreed and when Dobbs or Hurd were there to bail them out it usually worked out. That's not my style of football in short yardage and goal line offense either in fact I loathe it. I much prefer the triple option from under center in those situations but that's just me. You don't see Bama in the spread in those situations and I certainly don't expect to see the Vols to do it under Pruitt.

That being said the Vols will certainly be multiple on offense this season they may run the no huddle spread at times and at other times they will be under center wanting to play physical tough football to grind it out.

That's the thing though. Butch really didn't recruit players that fit his offense. Guys like Dormady and Hurd were better suited for a pro style, and that's a big reason why they are no longer here.

I’ve stated for four years we were recruiting a pro style team. I don’t think the turn around will take too long, but I don’t think it will happen next year. I expect signs of life, but serious struggle next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Nearly all modern defenses are now virtually/exclusively geared to stopping the spread offense. Hell, I never thought I'd see the day when nickel backs were doubling as LBs. Throwing an old wrinkle into the mix should have heads spinning like Linda Blair being waterboarded with Holy Water.

Reactions: 7 people
Nearly all modern defenses are now virtually/exclusively geared to stopping the spread offense. Hell, I never thought I'd see the day when nickel backs were doubling as LBs. Throwing an old wrinkle into the mix should have heads spinning like Linda Blair being waterboarded with Holy Water.

That Linda Blair reference may send some Millenials googling... lol.

Reactions: 6 people
Well, there's an obvious reason why one is called a FULLback and one is called a HALFback.

Btw, could someone out there tell me what those reasons are? ....

Slightly before my time by a century but I think time or a clock face position may have something to do with it:

FB: 12 oclock, up front
QB: 15 after for handoffs ,etc.
Half back: 30 after time...further back than a FB would be.
Tailback: 30 after time and tailing HB.

Best I could figure out with out going to Bing.

I believe it is old rugby nomenclature describing their position as related to the scrummage/line of scrimmage. Somehow over time the half and fullback were reversed. Quarter, half and full. Well, that's my best SWAG (scientific wild assed guess), anyway.

Did you just mansplain football terms to me!?!

Did you just mansplain football terms to me!?!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 people
I just wonder how many seasons it will take to get full compliment of personnel to run Pro Style , vs spread type O that previous staff recruited to? I mean all the coaching and schemes can only help so much. There is a certain skill set and body type required for either offensive type, and they are different.
So, Trey Smith is a spread olineman? Ryan Johnson? l
The only position that is spread is the tailback and lack of fullback. Some of the best WRs and TEs in the NFL came out of spread systems.

Stick JJ at QB (played it in HS). Put Jordan, London, and Chandler in the backfield and run the wishbone!

Reactions: 3 people
Best Tenn FB might be a good topic... not enough of them to make it's own thread but how about this list:

1) Shawn Bryson
2) William Howard
3) Greg Amsler
4) Sam Henderson
5) Will Bartholemew
6) Mario Brunson
7) Roland Poles
8) Troy Fleming

Getting back to running out of a Power I should make it so much easier to recruit TB's. What TB wouldn't rather play in that than a spread?

I saw every one of these men play for the Orange. Roland Poles used to be called "the human bowling ball". He could utterly destroy an opposing LB.

Reactions: 4 people
I just wonder how many seasons it will take to get full compliment of personnel to run Pro Style , vs spread type O that previous staff recruited to? I mean all the coaching and schemes can only help so much. There is a certain skill set and body type required for either offensive type, and they are different.

This yr.
Spread is complicated and takes a lot to install. Pro Style is much less complicated and easier to pick up even if you never played in it before. Simplicity!

Ball control, no turnovers, and badass defense!

:loco:

Last edited:
My frame of memory only goes back to 1981. Just like in the politics forum... not everyone is an old fart. :)
How about Leonard Coffman from the great 1938-40 teams, and my high school health teacher? Cafego said he was the toughest s.o.b. that ever stepped on a football field.

Best Tenn FB might be a good topic... not enough of them to make it's own thread but how about this list:

1) Shawn Bryson
2) William Howard
3) Greg Amsler
4) Sam Henderson
5) Will Bartholemew
6) Mario Brunson
7) Roland Poles
8) Troy Fleming

Getting back to running out of a Power I should make it so much easier to recruit TB's. What TB wouldn't rather play in that than a spread?

Don't agree with any of your politics
..but kudos on the fullbacks. I brought up Greg and roland in the RB thread the other day when the UVA game was mentioned...the FB was a real weapon under fuller, blocking, carrying and receiving. We had great FBs back then. Love to see us get back to that, but 99% of HS teams run spread, so we will have to convert a huge RB or a very tough TE that loves contact...a FB needs to be 1 of the toughest SOBs on the teams like the great al wilson... a fearless beast of a man that is excited about hitting the gap and smashing a 250lb middle linebacker...every snap. 6ft or so, 250 to 265lbs...and mean as a caged squirrel drinking tequila...that's what we need .

Also, and I may be going out on a limb here, but I'll venture that there will be no more lining up in 4-wide, 1st & goal from the 1.

And to step out even further on the aforementioned, metaphorical limb, hopefully due to Fitz's S&C program, we won't see many 1st and goals from the 1.

Also, and I may be going out on a limb here, but I'll venture that there will be no more lining up in 4-wide, 1st & goal from the 1.

And to step out even further on the aforementioned, metaphorical limb, hopefully due to Fitz's S&C program, we won't see many 1st and goals from the 1.

I'm kind of expecting some sort of special package for times when we just need a yard or less. Bama would put some of their DL in for short yardage situations last year. Pruitt has a HS background where that kind of thing is common. He's talked about doing whatever it takes to get the best 11 on the field before.

I'll be surprised if we don't have some sort of formation with an extra OL in to make a push or something like that.

Nothing wrong with a first and goal from the 1... as long as it doesn't turn into a 4th and goal from the 1.

Well, there's an obvious reason why one is called a FULLback and one is called a HALFback.

Btw, could someone out there tell me what those reasons are? ....

A lot of multiple formation teams will call the guy they slide out into the slot their H back because he’s a back half the time and a wr or wing back the rest of the time. Meanwhile the FB used to be the guy who was always in the backfield.

Some spread teams will still call their slot H and their tailback F because of it

VN Store

Back