Admiral officially returning

VQ mentioned this wasn’t as simple as initially thought, admiral was told he would almost certainly be drafted in the 2nd round if he entered. Obviously he was looking for 1st round promise but good sign for him that he was being told that, could sneak into the 1st with another good season.
”almost certainly” doesn’t sound guaranteed. Sounds like he made the right call.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of people think they are gonna go in the 2nd and don't. NBA teams like to take foreign players and stash them overseas. If Admiral was being told "almost" then he probably wouldn't have been picked IMO.

Lots of people think they are gonna go in the 2nd and don't. NBA teams like to take foreign players and stash them overseas. If Admiral was being told "almost" then he probably wouldn't have been picked IMO.

Didn’t Richardson, Stokes and McRae all go 2nd round?

Yes. I didn’t say it was ONLY foreigners did I?

Definitely not, but your post definitely makes it sound like that’s what is most common for 2nd round, just pointing out that Tennessee players recently haven’t missed the 2nd round due to foreign players. In fact last year 23/30 second round picks were US players, so I would say it’s not nearly as common as you were suggesting either.

Definitely not, but your post definitely makes it sound like that’s what is most common for 2nd round, just pointing out that Tennessee players recently haven’t missed the 2nd round due to foreign players. In fact last year 23/30 second round picks were US players, so I would say it’s not nearly as common as you were suggesting either.
Lol. 30 players is a tiny sample size when you look at the near 50+ players (if not more) from the US who have a “shot” at the second round.

As for your previous response, you said “VQ mentioned this wasn’t as simple as initially thought.” That’s making it sound like Admiral had a guaranteed/real shot at being drafted. I say that it’s pretty likely it wasn’t guaranteed at all.

I would bet that the projected draft always has less foreign players than what actually happens.

I'm not suggesting the second round is all foreigners. What happens is the NBA teams end up with a choice between an Admiral Schofield they have to develop in the G league and hope it pans out or a foreign dude on about the same level and upside that they can stash overseas at no cost. So the 2nd round ends up with more foreigners than expected and guys who are "almost guaranteed" a spot in the draft end up on a plane to China or Israel or Serbia playing overseas.

Lol. 30 players is a tiny sample size when you look at the near 50+ players (if not more) from the US who have a “shot” at the second round.

As for your previous response, you said “VQ mentioned this wasn’t as simple as initially thought.” That’s making it sound like Admiral had a guaranteed/real shot at being drafted. I say that it’s pretty likely it wasn’t guaranteed at all.
Lmao...so there’s only 7 draft eligible international players? You don’t think they’ve got just as many as the US does? Lol

He had a very real shot at being drafted, not sure if any team gave him a promise or not.

He had a very real shot at being drafted, not sure if any team gave him a promise or not.

A team promising means nothing to me. That has never made any sense whatsoever. I mean what do they say? "Admiral if you are there at pick 26 in the 2nd round we are taking you." Until someone else they didn't think would be available is available. Or they trade their pick. Or they gave someone else the same promise.

I would bet that the projected draft always has less foreign players than what actually happens.

I'm not suggesting the second round is all foreigners. What happens is the NBA teams end up with a choice between an Admiral Schofield they have to develop in the G league and hope it pans out or a foreign dude on about the same level and upside that they can stash overseas at no cost. So the 2nd round ends up with more foreigners than expected and guys who are "almost guaranteed" a spot in the draft end up on a plane to China or Israel or Serbia playing overseas.

Quick search showed NBA draft net projecting 5 international 2nd rounders last year, ended up being 7, so relatively close to what is projected.

I would venture to say a lot has to do with what you are being told by GM’s, if 4/5 are telling you that you are early 2nd round I would say your chances of being drafted are much higher than if those same 4/5 are telling you that you are likely picks 55-60.

A team promising means nothing to me. That has never made any sense whatsoever. I mean what do they say? "Admiral if you are there at pick 26 in the 2nd round we are taking you." Until someone else they didn't think would be available is available. Or they trade their pick. Or they gave someone else the same promise.

I read something about that somewhere recently because I had similar thoughts, apparently most agents will require some form of aghreement so that if you don’t uphold that “promise” you are putting yourself in a position to be sued.

Quick search showed NBA draft net projecting 5 international 2nd rounders last year, ended up being 7, so relatively close to what is projected.

Like I said. Always more. Last year was a little low on the internationals too. In other years it has been higher.

I think colleges recruiting these kids has made that number a little lower though. Instead of getting drafted out of a foreign team they are getting drafted out of Gonzaga or wherever.

I read something about that somewhere recently because I had similar thoughts, apparently most agents will require some form of aghreement so that if you don’t uphold that “promise” you are putting yourself in a position to be sued.

I doubt a team would risk that kinda exposure for an Admiral Schofield.

Like I said. Always more. Last year was a little low on the internationals too. In other years it has been higher.

I think colleges recruiting these kids has made that number a little lower though. Instead of getting drafted out of a foreign team they are getting drafted out of Gonzaga or wherever.

2017-7
2016-8
2015-10
2014-8
2013-6
2012-8
2011-8
2010-6

So typically 6-10 at the most, seems pretty simple to me if you’re a US player, if you’re being told you’re early to mid 2nd round pick you’re safe...if you are being projected in that last 1/3 of picks then you’re in a dangerous spot.

I doubt a team would risk that kinda exposure for an Admiral Schofield.

Guess we will never know, as I said I’m not sure whether he got a promise or not. The point was that Admiral went from “is he even gonna make it through the season on this roster” to arguably preseason SEC-POY and getting 2nd round NBA Draft grades.

Lmao...so there’s only 7 draft eligible international players? You don’t think they’ve got just as many as the US does? Lol

Classic BTO assumption, I never said that or intended that.

VN Store

Back