A Star is Born (2018)

mrorange211

Not one person moved in the theatre when this movie ended for about 5 mins. Most people around me were crying. It's been a while since I've been sucked into a movie in a way that this one did. It was a gret debut by Cooper directing and Gaga acting.

5/5

Remake of a remake of a remake. Another Hollywood original. While I’m sure they did a great job come up with an original idea instead of redos.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Remake of a remake of a remake. Another Hollywood original. While I’m sure they did a great job come up with an original idea instead of redos.

Just don't see it.

The market for movies has completely changed. Original Hollywood ideas are becoming series on Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Amazon, Starz, etc.

In order to justify a big movie budget, the studios know they gotta have an idea that will get you to the theater, and there is no better way to guarantee a return than to go with a familiar idea (base it on a comic, reboot, remake, book, etc. with an existing fan base).

HBO will buy the original idea and make it into a series because they aren't trying to get you to come out to the theater one time. They want your subscription $ and the best way to do that is with original serials.

Look at the hit show This Is Us....that was a movie script, but there is a better business model for that story.

Hollywood knows what they're doing, in general.

Is there really such thing as an "original" idea anymore? Seems like most movies fall into categories that when you break it down, they're generally the same story.

Take the original Karate Kid from 1984, it's essentially the same story as Rocky.

Is there really such thing as an "original" idea anymore? Seems like most movies fall into categories that when you break it down, they're generally the same story.

Take the original Karate Kid from 1984, it's essentially the same story as Rocky.

Except he moves from NJ to CA, is in high school, lives with his mother, fights the Cobra Kai and then wins in the end, but yeah pretty much the same

Reactions: davethevol
I knew this would be good when I found out guys like Lukas Nelson and Jason Isbell wrote the music for it. Dave Cobb produced a lot of it as well.

Reactions: OldSchool1

Lost River, Coherent, the cube, Bellfower, all original ideas and those are just off the top of my head. All good films

This film A Star is Born is not an original idea this is the fourth film to made with the same name and relativly the same premise in each film.

The first was released back in 1937.

"A Star is Born (1937) Directed by: William A. Wellman
Starring: Janet Gaynor, Fredric March

Premise:
"Is the price of stardom a broken heart?

Esther Blodgett is just another starry-eyed farm kid trying to break into the movies. Waitressing at a Hollywood party, she catches the eye of alcoholic star Norman Maine, is given a test, and is caught up in the Hollywood glamor machine (ruthlessly satirized). She and her idol Norman marry; but his career abruptly dwindles to nothing"

"A Star is Born (1954) Directed by George Cukor
Starring: Judy Garland, James Mason

Premise:
"The applause of the world – and then this!

A movie star helps a young singer/actress find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral."

"A Star is Born (1976) Directed by Frank Pierson
Starring: Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson

Premise:

"Drunken, has-been rock star John Norman Howard falls in love with unknown singer, Esther Hoffman, after seeing her perform at a club. He lets her sing a few songs at one of his shows and she becomes the talk of the music industry. Esther’s star begins to rise, while John’s continues to fall. She tries desperately to get John to sober up and focus on his music, but it may be too late to save him."
"

Except he moves from NJ to CA, is in high school, lives with his mother, fights the Cobra Kai and then wins in the end, but yeah pretty much the same

Which is why I said "break it down"; the core story is "huge underdog overcomes the odds and succeeds". Yeah you can nitpick that Daniel actually won and Rocky went the distance (except that was what Rocky wanted to accomplish).

Daniel gets bullied and earns his shot
Rocky is a professional bully and gets the fluke gift of a lifetime

I sincerely think Lady Gaga is a wack job, but she has an amazing voice.

VN Store

Back