A Decade of Dysfunction (book)

Agree on the Kendrick stuff. Apparently, according to Brett's mother, Butch did everything he could to try and run Brett off in his first couple years there. Constantly cussed him out, told him he wasn't good, etc.

I am old enough to remember that being motivation not an attempt to run someone off.

Reactions: 1 person
I am old enough to remember that being motivation not an attempt to run someone off.

I think it just depends on the coach. If you’re a well-respected coach and your players know you ultimately:

1. Know what you’re talking about
2. Have the team/player’s best interest at heart

then you can use that as a motivating tool. When you’re a Big East coach who loses to Vandy and clearly can’t win without Dobbs, then yelling/cussing probably isn’t the most motivating method.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
In all seriousness If I were a smaller struggling school I would definitely hire Butch Jones...just for recruiting to build up the program. Then get rid of him.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Its a good book to read. Crazy all the crap us TN fans have been through the last decade.

I think it just depends on the coach. If youre a well-respected coach and your players know you ultimately:

1. Know what youre talking about
2. Have the team/players best interest at heart

then you can use that as a motivating tool. When youre a Big East coach who loses to Vandy and clearly cant win without Dobbs, then yelling/cussing probably isnt the most motivating method.

No, during my time it didn't matter if they sucked as a coach or were a future hall of famer, they all pretty much told you you sucked until you got your butt in gear.

I am always skeptical of the "he tried to run me off" former player because no coach recruits a player to run them off, not like them, not give them playing time, ect. It usually means when the finally got on campus they were lazy, combative, not that good, ect.

i read Rocky top this spring while laid up in the hospital. Wound up giving it to a Doctor that went to BYU.I guess he wants to scout us for next year. He was cool about it, he asked for updates every day, the asked if he could read it. It's amazing how popular the UT brand is out here in Utah. I always wear my Tennessee hat, just the other day a butcher asked me how I thought Pruitt would do. Pretty coool....

Has anyone read this? I saw some folks discussing it on TOS, seems to be a book with some nasty behind the scenes stories of Butch and other previous coaches.

If youve read, please share some excerpts. I may end up ordering the book. I looked around and havent seen a thread on it.

Decade of Dysfunction: The Road to Tennessee's Crazy Coaching Search: Mark Nagi: 9781720438274: Amazon.com: Books

It was worth the $20 I paid. A good perspective of things for those that might not be familiar with the "How" of the way Tennessee got in the situation it is in.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think it's that good. I'm at the fan revolution part, and so far it hasn't been anything special. Just a lot of painful memories really. But no new information; all of the "insider" stuff was stuff that is pretty much common knowledge if you've spent any time at all on VolNation. On top of that, Nagi got a couple of game scores and a couple of names wrong. And a few typos too. Granted, I'm kind of a grammar Nazi (I'm a teacher; can't help it) and a Tennessee football history savant, but I did notice it. It's not terribly well written either.

I haven't read the book but I can probably summarize the problem in two words: MIKE HAMILTON. He could not have destroyed all of the men's athletic programs any more completely if that had been his stated purpose.

I haven't read the book but I can probably summarize the problem in two words: MIKE HAMILTON. He could not have destroyed all of the men's athletic programs any more completely if that had been his stated purpose.

That’s not how you spell Jimmy Haslam.

So basically, Cut left and Fulmer quit working like heck, sing Rocky Top all night long after we beat UF, mattresses on fire, call Romel and shower discipline, brick by brick, punch players in the gut, player fell on a helmet, Brady Hoke. The End?

Has anyone read this? I saw some folks discussing it on TOS, seems to be a book with some nasty behind the scenes stories of Butch and other previous coaches.

If youve read, please share some excerpts. I may end up ordering the book. I looked around and havent seen a thread on it.

Decade of Dysfunction: The Road to Tennessee's Crazy Coaching Search: Mark Nagi: 9781720438274: Amazon.com: Books

Hel* I don't need to read the book, I've actually lived it, now I'm trying to forget it!

1534597115753.gif

VN Store

Back