6 yards a play? Downfield run blocking?

Like it is every year, this game will be decided by who gets the most rushing yards.

Since UF can't run the football and stopping the run is the only thing our defense does decently well then we should win

Yet Kentucky put up over 300 yards rushing against them....Granted Snell is arguably the best back in the SEC, but we have four really good backs, 3 of which have breakaway scoring speed. Personally, I think this is the worst Florida Defense we have seen in years.

Not arguing your point - just the opinion of Snell. He would be 3rd to 4th string on Alabama and would be behind Swift at UGA. I'll concede Snell at top 6 or 7.

If anything I think that only reinforces your statement on UF's defense.

I think you may be right. But, this game against UF will tell the tale. I get the feeling that the reason things look good is because of the competition. UFs defense is much better than anyone we have played so far.
I disagree on the weak competition, I think Banks ran over people because Banks CAN run over people.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
I just don't see our running game as a strength. We turn guys free up the middle on every series and our backs sometimes work miracles just to get out of the backfield. We run well on the edges but I attribute most of that to the backs. To me we have some major issues at C, LG, and RT. I think the C and LG issues will get better, not sure about the RT since that project has been ongoing for 3 years now.
Are we watching the same games? One back working miracles yeah, two o.k. possible, but all four working miracles, come on man . Jeremy Banks has the lowest rush average at 4.4, Tim Jordan 4.8, Ty Chandler 9.6 and London 6.0. Our backs are averaging over 6.0 yds a carry. Imagine if we didn't take any negative plays this year? I am willing to give the O-line some credit along with TE, FB, let's not mention those receivers are blocking better out on the perimeter, haven't seen that in 5 years . I agree our O-Line needs some work but I am willing to they will step up this Saturday. Just imagine the type of year our backs will have if and when the O-Line gels.

I definitely have the impression our coaches are trying to figure out a way to get our tailbacks the ball and some field to run in. I noticed against UTEP we experimented some with the wildcat. I think that may be a smart way to creatively stack the line and get the ball to our guys like Chandler who can make things happen. This is not going to be the Butch Jones paint by numbers offense where he sticks to the plays on the clipboard whether they are working or not. I have a feeling we are going to throw everything at Florida and see what sticks.

UK's QB also opens up a lot of holes being able to scramble. I don't want to take away from Snell's success, but I wouldn't compare our run game to that of UK's as the styles are different.

This is also the worst OL we’ve had in years. They could barely block ETSU and UTEP correctly. We won’t be able to block for our talented RBs.
Not accurate at all. Last year's OL was much worse, yet we had 183 rushing yards at 5.5 per carry, and 420 total yards against a much better Florida defense than the one we will face Saturday. Plus it was in their place last year. The key for us will be not turning the ball over or stalling drives out with dumb penalties. If we can avoid those we have a good chance at winning this game

Not accurate at all. Last year's OL was much worse, yet we had 183 rushing yards at 5.5 per carry, and 420 total yards against a much better Florida defense than the one we will face Saturday. Plus it was in their place last year. The key for us will be not turning the ball over or stalling drives out with dumb penalties. If we can avoid those we have a good chance at winning this game

Agree.

I’ll add one more. Our special teams play needs to be solid too.

That toss sweep has been effective. Keep running it until they stop it. It relies on the back making one guy miss and we have the backs to get it done. It also creates space to help with the o-lines struggles.

I think you may be right. But, this game against UF will tell the tale. I get the feeling that the reason things look good is because of the competition. UFs defense is much better than anyone we have played so far.

"UFs defense is much better than anyone we have played so far "

Indeed, many will ignore this very fact, which may be a big mistake

VN Store

Back