5* SC PG Josiah James commits to Tennessee

I wonder if Devoe would have had Dale Ellis shooting much from the perimeter had he not played at UT before the 3-point. Putting in the 45 second clock was very disruptive to Devoe. He didn't embrace the 3PL either. He would say if any player looked at their feet before putting up an outside shot he'd sit them down on the bench.

It's unfortunate that Devoe refused to adapt. Otherwise, he was a darned good coach, I thought.

I suppose that is possible but I don’t think if Tennessee is built into a Top 25 program that they’ll be looking to hand it off to an assistant with no head coaching experience, I would guess they’ll aim higher.
I hope so. History suggest that won't be the case though. With fuller at the head, maybe you're right though.

I hope so. History suggest that won't be the case though. With fuller at the head, maybe you're right though.

History suggests that?

Rick Barnes- head coach at Texas
Donnie Tyndall- head coach at Southern Miss
Cuonzo Martin- head coach at Missouri State
Bruce Pearl- head coach Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Buzz Peterson- head coach Tulsa
Jerry Green- head coach Oregon
Kevin O’Neil- head coach Marquette
Wade Houston- assistant coach Louisville
Don Devoe- head coach Wyoming

History suggests that?

Rick Barnes- head coach at Texas
Donnie Tyndall- head coach at Southern Miss
Cuonzo Martin- head coach at Missouri State
Bruce Pearl- head coach Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Buzz Peterson- head coach Tulsa
Jerry Green- head coach Oregon
Kevin O’Neil- head coach Marquette
Wade Houston- assistant coach Louisville
Don Devoe- head coach Wyoming
Those schools ain't exactly world beaters. Maybe I misread your post. You meant sign a pretty well known/ proven successful coach, right? For example the guy from Nevada musselman

That’s actually not true at all, Coach Schwartz saw Josiah James play and relayed to Barnes they needed to offer him which they then did.

You obviously didn't listen to the JJ paper he wrote on the recruiting process. He stated in there that Barnes offered him first in middle school and that his relationship with his family was what sealed the deal.

Thanks for playing though.

Those schools ain't exactly world beaters. Maybe I misread your post. You meant sign a pretty well known/ proven successful coach, right? For example the guy from Nevada musselman

Not sure what you would’ve misread, because no, I didn’t say that at all?

I said...

I suppose that is possible but I don’t think if Tennessee is built into a Top 25 program that they’ll be looking to hand it off to an assistant with no head coaching experience, I would guess they’ll aim higher.

Clearly stating I don’t think they’ll hand it to an assistant coach with no HC experience, which is what Schwartz who you mentioned would be.

You then said...

Saying history suggests that won’t be the case means you are saying history says we hire assistants with no head coaching experience, which isn’t the case at all as proven by my post.

You obviously didn't listen to the JJ paper he wrote on the recruiting process. He stated in there that Barnes offered him first in middle school and that his relationship with his family was what sealed the deal.

Thanks for playing though.

Do the math ...offer came after James’ 8th grade season...he is currently just starting 12th grade...that would mean he was offered the summer of 2015. In case you weren’t aware Rick Barnes was hired in March 2015.

Thanks for playing tho.

Reactions: Lefteye
FWIW I also think that James maybe doesn’t recall what grade he was in, or maybe he advanced a grade. Reason I say this is that it’s been reported multiple places Michael Schwartz watched Josiah play and told Barnes they needed to offer, which they then did. Schwartz wasn’t hired until April 2016, reports of Tennessee offering James came in July of 2016, however that would have been 9th grade so either he skipped a year or it was 9th grade and not 8th when he received the offer.

Either way you’re still incorrect.

FWIW I also think that James maybe doesn’t recall what grade he was in, or maybe he advanced a grade. Reason I say this is that it’s been reported multiple places Michael Schwartz watched Josiah play and told Barnes they needed to offer, which they then did. Schwartz wasn’t hired until April 2016, reports of Tennessee offering James came in July of 2016, however that would have been 9th grade so either he skipped a year or it was 9th grade and not 8th when he received the offer.

Either way you’re still incorrect.
He can be a condescending jerk all he wants, but it doesn't make him right.

Not sure what you would’ve misread, because no, I didn’t say that at all?

I said...

Clearly stating I don’t think they’ll hand it to an assistant coach with no HC experience, which is what Schwartz who you mentioned would be.

You then said...

Saying history suggests that won’t be the case means you are saying history says we hire assistants with no head coaching experience, which isn’t the case at all as proven by my post.
I meant history proves we won't hire a name. Not that we would hire an assistant. Miscommunication on my part.

I meant history proves we won't hire a name. Not that we would hire an assistant. Miscommunication on my part.

Yea I’m not saying we will hire a huge P5 name, but I don’t think we will hire a sitting assistant coach with no head coaching experience is what I was referencing.

I would think we will go the MM head coaching route that most teams tend to go..just obviously speculation at this point.

Yea I’m not saying we will hire a huge P5 name, but I don’t think we will hire a sitting assistant coach with no head coaching experience is what I was referencing.

I would think we will go the MM head coaching route that most teams tend to go..just obviously speculation at this point.
I would agree with that.

Good Lord. Coach in waiting? Barnes is 64. Coach K is 71 and still pulling in top 10 classes. If Barnes even gets a wiff of an NC he could coach til he's 75 or until he gets one.

Good Lord. Coach in waiting? Barnes is 64. Coach K is 71 and still pulling in top 10 classes. If Barnes even gets a wiff of an NC he could coach til he's 75 or until he gets one.
Yeah, I established I probably didn’t word that correctly

Who should they hire if it came to it?
Coach K
Izzo
Roy Williams
Cal

Who exactly?

Texas not a good basketball school? Oregon? Marquette?

The Kansas coach or the Villanova coach are not leaving to come to Tennessee. The Villanova coach wanted Tennessee years ago. Dickey said no.

VN Store

Back