How Alontae Taylor is epitomizing exactly what Jeremy Pruitt wants Tennessee to be about

Shades

Shady member
How Alontae Taylor is epitomizing exactly what Jeremy Pruitt wants Tennessee to be about

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...itomizing-exactly-tennessee-wants-about-2018/

With Tennessee clinging to a surprising 3-point lead in the second half against Auburn on Saturday, Alontae Taylor got the ball on the 2-yard line and ran it in for the score. Taylor’s first career touchdown came just 6 games into his true freshman season at Tennessee.

But on Saturday, Taylor’s first points at Tennessee didn’t come on a fade to the back of the end zone, or on a quick-hitting slant over the middle.

Instead, they came the way all defensive players draw it up — a scoop and score.

Taylor made a play on the ball after the Vols sacked and forced a fumble on Jarrett Stidham, and from his new home at cornerback, the freshman came up with the loose ball for a key second half touchdown.

That play put the exclamation point on Tennessee’s first SEC win of the Jeremy Pruitt era. In many ways, Taylor’s performance epitomized the start of a new culture in Knoxville.

The converted high school quarterback/receiver also forced a fumble and had a career-high 7 tackles to help the Vols earn their first conference win since 2016. At the midway point of his first season, he has 21 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 1 tackle for loss and the aforementioned scoop and score.

The advanced analytics coverage numbers are most impressive. Through 6 games (4 starts), Taylor ranks 6th among Power 5 cornerbacks in fewest yards allowed per coverage snap, according to Pro Football Focus.

DpkDvgOW0AA4oIZ

Didnt realize. Thats cool. Its good to see a young secondary that actually looks like they could turn out to be really good corners.

A side question, who was the UT player that appeared to have recovered it but fumbled upon being tackled?

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Didnt realize. Thats cool. Its good to see a young secondary that actually looks like they could turn out to be really good corners.

A side question, who was the UT player that appeared to have recovered it but fumbled upon being tackled?

Darrell Taylor..

Reactions: lexkyvol
High School QB's.
I seem to remember that when Doug Dickey came to UT as head coach he recruited HC QB's for any place they could play. Think he stated they were overall football smarter than most other players and that gave them a head start at the college level. ( or something like this)

High School QB's.
I seem to remember that when Doug Dickey came to UT as head coach he recruited HC QB's for any place they could play. Think he stated they were overall football smarter than most other players and that gave them a head start at the college level. ( or something like this)

Good point. Additionally in high school(at least) you often put your best athlete at quarterback. He's going to touch the ball on basically every snap (except wildcat) so you want him with the ball as often as possible. Its no surprise that so many great college players played QB in high school, and often times also played on Defense.

There's going to be growing pains, but our two freshmen Taylor and Thompson (TNT), are gonna be incredible by their JR year. I really look forward to watching this defense become something special. Go Vols!!!
Remember when we recruited young talent and they weren’t coached up? Those days are finally behind us!

Did he fumble it or did he kinda roll it to Alontae.... 🧐🤔🤫 lol I joke. Either way it worked out better.

Good point. Additionally in high school(at least) you often put your best athlete at quarterback. He's going to touch the ball on basically every snap (except wildcat) so you want him with the ball as often as possible. Its no surprise that so many great college players played QB in high school, and often times also played on Defense.

Yeah, high school coaches usually put their best atheletes at QB or RB. I remember a lot of high school running backs become LB's during CPF tenure.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
That used to be a really big thing for some coaches in the mid/late 20th Century, was to recruit HS QBs for all the offensive and many of the defensive skill positions. Tom Osborne was big on it at Nebraska. Other coaches as well, but Osborne stands out in my memory.

High School QB's.
That was a normal way to operate for a while. I know Johnny Vaught did it at Ole Miss and Alabama did it as well. I played with a couple of big QB’s in high school that played LB at the college level. Everything is so specialized now days you don’t see it as much.

I was surprised Taylor survived HS football honestly. The rest of his team wasn’t deserving of even starting at a single A school much less there division. Taylor was the only player on that team with talent lol. Dude is going to be a stud for years to come!!

Reactions: Jacksonvol
There's going to be growing pains, but our two freshmen Taylor and Thompson (TNT), are gonna be incredible by their JR year. I really look forward to watching this defense become something special. Go Vols!!!
I agree biggly with this comment. These guys are on the path to be beasts. One thing about the Auburn game - It seemed like Tennessee always had a lot of defense guys around the ball. They didn't always make the play, but, that will come. Go Vols!

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...itomizing-exactly-tennessee-wants-about-2018/

Alontae was a QB in high school and Coach Pruitt an old high school football coach knows the importance of QBs. They are usually one of your best athletes and I think that Alontae is one of those type players. QBs are very good mentally, physically and their skill level is usually very good.

DpkDvgOW0AA4oIZ

Alontae Taylor is doing all the right things. He hustles every play and plays smart football to go with his immense athletic talent.
No one would guess he was a freshman this season watching him play if they didn't already know. I'm not surprised to see
Coach Pruitt recognizing him because he is a player who has made an immediate impact. Very impressed.

I will always love AT for this high school play:

The game began with a tribute to Siegel junior Baylor Bramble, who wears No. 33 and who has been in critical condition for the past week at Vanderbilt after suffering a head injury in the Warren County game.

Siegel’s captains carried the 33 jersey to the middle of the field for the coin toss.

With only 10 players on the field, the Stars kicked off, and (Tennessee VOLS) commit Alontae Taylor ran up to the 33-yard line and downed the ball there.

Taylor, who is also Coffee County’s quarterback, took a snap, downed it and Bramble was credited with the tackle. Then both teams met in the middle of the field for a prayer for Bramble.

Injured player honored before Siegel tops Coffee County

VN Store

Back