Why Jarrett Guarantano has more on the line against Florida than any other Vol

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...arrett-guarantano-legacy-at-stake-vs-florida/

This weekend marks an incredible opportunity for Tennessee’s football team. However, one player has more on the line than any other Vol when UT hosts Florida on Saturday.

Quarterback Jarrett Guarantano can instantly thrust himself into the pantheon of memorable quarterbacks with a win against the Gators this week. No one will ever talk about his mediocre season in 2017 again. That will just be looked at as a normal learning experience and the natural growth of a young quarterback.

No one will ever bring up his sideline antics when he appeared to be pouting as the Vols were playing Georgia Tech last year. That will be chalked up to a dysfunctional football team, not Guarantano’s attitude. Team chemistry was far beyond Guarantano’s control. Poor communication and poor coaching could well have been the cause of Guarantano’s distress against the Yellow Jackets. That seems quite plausible considering the disturbing news that surfaced about Butch Jones’ coaching style after he was fired.

Guarantano seems ready for the challenge. According to Pro Football Focus, Guarantano was nearly perfect against the blitz against UTEP. He completed 7-of-8 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown when the Miners brought extra pressure last weekend. Certainly, UTEP isn’t a national title contender, but Guarantano’s continued toughness is something to be respected. Since becoming a starter last season, he has taken a beating with porous pass protection around him. As many times as Guarantano has been knocked down, he’s always gotten up. Surely, that has earned his teammates’ and coaches’ respect.

The sophomore is sixth-best in the SEC with a 161.28 passer rating. That’s one slot above his next upcoming counterpart. Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks’ passer rating is 148.82. The two have followed similar paths since signing with their respective schools. Franks was rated as the No. 5 overall quarterback in the 2016 class by 247Sports’ composite recruiting ranking. Guarantano was No. 7. In the 20 or so years that recruiting rankings have been tracked, Guarantano was one of the highest rated quarterbacks that the Vols have ever signed.

JG has the chance Saturday to take command and become the leader of this team. If he can lead us to victory under the lights sat night a winning season becomes a real possibility.

Hell, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will pass for 250, run for 50 and have 3tds in a 27-24 victory. For whatever reason I'm feeling good about this game Nation. I just got a feeling that we come out loose and aggressive and will play to win.

GBO

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...arrett-guarantano-legacy-at-stake-vs-florida/

This weekend marks an incredible opportunity for Tennessee’s football team. However, one player has more on the line than any other Vol when UT hosts Florida on Saturday.

Quarterback Jarrett Guarantano can instantly thrust himself into the pantheon of memorable quarterbacks with a win against the Gators this week. No one will ever talk about his mediocre season in 2017 again. That will just be looked at as a normal learning experience and the natural growth of a young quarterback.

No one will ever bring up his sideline antics when he appeared to be pouting as the Vols were playing Georgia Tech last year. That will be chalked up to a dysfunctional football team, not Guarantano’s attitude. Team chemistry was far beyond Guarantano’s control. Poor communication and poor coaching could well have been the cause of Guarantano’s distress against the Yellow Jackets. That seems quite plausible considering the disturbing news that surfaced about Butch Jones’ coaching style after he was fired.

Guarantano seems ready for the challenge. According to Pro Football Focus, Guarantano was nearly perfect against the blitz against UTEP. He completed 7-of-8 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown when the Miners brought extra pressure last weekend. Certainly, UTEP isn’t a national title contender, but Guarantano’s continued toughness is something to be respected. Since becoming a starter last season, he has taken a beating with porous pass protection around him. As many times as Guarantano has been knocked down, he’s always gotten up. Surely, that has earned his teammates’ and coaches’ respect.

The sophomore is sixth-best in the SEC with a 161.28 passer rating. That’s one slot above his next upcoming counterpart. Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks’ passer rating is 148.82. The two have followed similar paths since signing with their respective schools. Franks was rated as the No. 5 overall quarterback in the 2016 class by 247Sports’ composite recruiting ranking. Guarantano was No. 7. In the 20 or so years that recruiting rankings have been tracked, Guarantano was one of the highest rated quarterbacks that the Vols have ever signed.

JG has the chance Saturday to take command and become the leader of this team. If he can lead us to victory under the lights sat night a winning season becomes a real possibility.

Hell, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will pass for 250, run for 50 and have 3tds in a 27-24 victory. For whatever reason I'm feeling good about this game Nation. I just got a feeling that we come out loose and aggressive and will play to win.

GBO
He's not a running quarterback

Fixed the thread title (2 words make a big difference):

Why Jarrett Guarantano NEEDS more FROM the line against Florida than any other Vol.

Compared to Peyton he’s a running QB. Compared to Dobbs not really. He can move when he needs to and is quicker on his feet than our galloping giraffe Casey Claussen that did nothing but win.

I remember Clausen's first spring game. He was all arms and legs throwing godawful rainbow passes down the field. At that point I didn't think he would ever see the field during a "for real" game. Of course, later he was surrounded by a great many terrific players.

Reactions: PrattvilleVol
The good news is, regardless of how his year goes, besides getting the young man hurt, is that we will be in good shape at qb for next two years with some young talent behind him given time to learn and mature. Get us some stud dogs on the OL and we make some serious strides next few years.

Reactions: hmhawk
Career defining game, to say the least.

It is...

200.gif

Compared to Peyton he’s a running QB. Compared to Dobbs not really. He can move when he needs to and is quicker on his feet than our galloping giraffe Casey Claussen that did nothing but win.

Accurate maybe but dammit I love Casey Clausen. He is one of the toughest guys to take a snap at QB along with being a fiery competitor and simply a winner. I realize PM is the greatest and as a Big Orange fan I'm required to revere him but Casey is and likely always will be my favorite QB for the Volunteers.

So no more making fun of his running style..😁

Accurate maybe but dammit I love Casey Clausen. He is one of the toughest guys to take a snap at QB along with being a fiery competitor and simply a winner. I realize PM is the greatest and as a Big Orange fan I'm required to revere him but Casey is and likely always will be my favorite QB for the Volunteers.

So no more making fun of his running style..😁
The revisionist Casey Clausen love on this board is a little bit disturbing to me. The truth is he showed promise in his freshman and sophomore years but he regressed. He was impressive on 2 minute offensive situations but when it came to a designed offensive system he just could not cope. He did not understand the concept of pocket passing. Whenever a pocket started forming around him which it did in those days because we had a great offensive line, he would panic and start trying to find a way to run out of it instead of looking for a receiver downfield. He was also limited to looking at one half of the field for his secondary receivers. Like I said he was somewhat popular in his freshman and sophomore seasons, but in his Junior and senior years his limitations were apparent to everyone. He became so unpopular in the UT fan base that most people were happy that Jimmy went to Notre Dame when he was the number one recruit in the country. People just got tired of messing with the Clausen family.

The revisionist Casey Clausen love on this board is a little bit disturbing to me. The truth is he showed promise in his freshman and sophomore years but he regressed. He was impressive on 2 minute offensive situations but when it came to a designed offensive system he just could not cope. He did not understand the concept of pocket passing. Whenever a pocket started forming around him which it did in those days because we had a great offensive line, he would panic and start trying to find a way to run out of it instead of looking for a receiver downfield. He was also limited to looking at one half of the field for his secondary receivers. Like I said he was somewhat popular in his freshman and sophomore seasons, but in his Junior and senior years his limitations were apparent to everyone. He became so unpopular in the UT fan base that most people were happy that Jimmy went to Notre Dame when he was the number one recruit in the country. People just got tired of messing with the Clausen family.
Our last 2 QB’s have done nothing but stare down one receiver as soon as the ball is snapped.

Our last 2 QB’s have done nothing but stare down one receiver as soon as the ball is snapped.
True enough. When Bray came along it was a real breath of fresh air because he had a vision of the whole field. Of course Ainge did also, but he was hampered by injuries and then limited in his senior year because by the fact that his pinky was broken and he couldn't really pass beyond 10 yards until the bowl game in which he looked quite impressive. I do remember one game Clausen played in in which the opponent twice forgot to cover a receiver that was on the far left. All he would have had to do was lob pass over there and it just sure touchdown. I think he was the only person in the stadium that did not see those recievers

Last edited:

Maybe revisionist for some but I had many long "discussions" with those that intensely disliked him during his playing years. Possibly you're one of them.

Casey was not a great QB in the measurables that many like to see. However his dive into the endzone in the OT win against Arkansas cemented him as my favorite QB. Not the most beautiful play but one that happened after he had been injured but continued to play.

So while there are many that will be happy to hate on CC today just as they did at the time, I'm not one of them. Therefore no revisionist love here.

You gotta believe !!!! I believe this team, although young, has players that are confident enough in themselves to beat Florida. I have observed both teams play. In my opinion we have at least as good, if not better, talent than Florida. No reason in the world we cannot beat them. However, lots of this game is a mind game. Over the years much of the outcome of this game has been between the ears ! Go Vols...........WE ARE GOING TO BEAT FLORIDA, SATURDAY !!!! AND SHOCK THE SPORTS WORLD AGAIN !

He's not a running quarterback

I think your right. I think he has a fast 40 time but he has a slow 1st step and does not have instinct that Dobbs had by a long shot. You can mask the slow 1st step in HS but not incollege. All that said he is still faster than Clausen , Bray and Ainge to name a few of our better recent QB's.

GBO

"I" "I" "I" (I am tired of this individuality crap) down the road the last question asked about his time at Tennessee should and likely will be, be how did the teams he played on end up. People always rave about Manning (and rightly so) but near the end of a conversation comes the question,how did he do against Fla. and why did he not win the NC.

Hey,hey He ran against utep and he was the fastest I have seen him. But I don't think he knows how to slide feet first.
thought the same thing....he's gonna get lit up if he doesn't start sliding feet first.

He is playing very well. His stats will suffer terribly in October. So it’s exactly right, this weekend he can be the hero. I think 50 yards rushing is a stretch.

VN Store

Back