247 Sports has updated team recruited talent rankings

247 Sports has updated their overall team talent rankings for 2018. UT is 14th, right behind Florida. Somewhat surprisingly to me, Ohio State edged out Bama for first. Georgia is 3rd, LSU 6th, Auburn 11th.

So, UT is the 6th most talented SEC team according to this composite:

Team talent rankings
...and, if you'll note, we have the same number of 5*, more 4*, more 3* than Fla. Their's must be rated a tiny bit higher, We gwanna kick dey azzes, right?

I wouldn’t say there meaningless, I would just say that a team being together a few years with a competent coach is of more value. (WVU) I feel we Pull out a Win tonight guys! I’m like a 5 year old at Christmas!, I woke up at 3am and haven’t been able to go back to sleep. Regardless, I’m going to be there screaming my guts out till the game is over with my boy! GBO!

USC is #4 and they have 2 losses. Means nothing.
But when the georgias and Alabama’s of the world curb stomp us were always told “ what did you expect? They are full of 5 stars!!”’how come the argument only works one way? When a team whips up on us that on paper has significantly less talent everyone claims that crap is meaningless, yet it’s a perfectly good excuse for some when we lose to a team with more talent on paper.

Reality per what I read on this Board
Those that are/were good to great Dobbs, Barnett etc...were good despite Butch
Those that are/were under archivers Richmond, Kongbo etc... were caused by Butch

Reactions: sameolvol
Yeah but they haven’t been coached. Until this year, they have just showed up with what that got. No growth or development .
It’s almost like a teache who inherited a really smart student but did nothing to challenge or grow them academically.

How guys turn out usually differs greatly from their HS days...three of our top six rated prospects per this updated rating:
JJ Peterson (has yet to play)
Keller Chyrst (backup QB)
Drew Richmond (underperformed to date)

Recruiting is the base. You can only lose at the base. The issue is moving up from that base. Recent history in that development is sad. Another key is the cream of the crop within that base. Look at the 5* numbers and it is easy to tell why UT is behind the curve and must develop the talent they get.

Yeah you can throw this out the window. Again I say on any given day any given team can be beaten. Also on any given day they can loose.

But when the georgias and Alabama’s of the world curb stomp us were always told “ what did you expect? They are full of 5 stars!!”’how come the argument only works one way? When a team whips up on us that on paper has significantly less talent everyone claims that crap is meaningless, yet it’s a perfectly good excuse for some when we lose to a team with more talent on paper.

You make a great point. We hear frequently by many on this board, "Bama wins because they have 5 stars backing up 5 stars." Yet the same posters with a straight face will promote we stink because we don't have enough 5 stars. If we have a talent level that demonstrates we have more and better talent than some of our opponents yet we lose to them then one could conclude there is more to football success than just "the Jimmies and the Joes."

I wouldn’t say there meaningless, I would just say that a team being together a few years with a competent coach is of more value. (WVU) I feel we Pull out a Win tonight guys! I’m like a 5 year old at Christmas!, I woke up at 3am and haven’t been able to go back to sleep. Regardless, I’m going to be there screaming my guts out till the game is over with my boy! GBO!
So a coach and team being together longer gives them an edge?? When did Fla. hire Mullins, when did we hire Pruitt?? Hummmm
Pay no attention to my BS! Go Vols!!!!

Shows when have a few difference makers like at qb like miz or wvu a lot of other deficiencies are not as exposed.

I’d like to see rankings on OL/DL. I think that will show more reality vs performance on field as a whole, and for lack of a difference maker at qb

Believe the recruiting rankings just say that the potential is there. Doesn't mean any team will be world beaters, and curb stomp everyone they play. That takes a developed culture that breeds an attitude of winning. Teams that learn to win typically win, even against teams with better on paper talent. I truly think Pruitt expects to win. It might take time for our players to start expecting it.

Lots of truth alliterated above. Apply most of this logic together, and let's extrapolate from it that Coach Pruitt seems to be taking the proper steps to alleviate this program's festering wound of poorly-coached-but-highly-capable athletes, and adding into it valuable experience for his newbies...all the while planning ahead (like sand-bagging last week) so's to start winning now. How? He's going hard at it...coaching up the football-instincts-responsiveness IQs into his "veterans" who've got a decent chance for marked improvement this season, and he's firmly instilling his own version of such IQs into his equally talented rookies. 'Sounds like a winner to me. Right now? I feel much like you PHL16. I'm as giddy as a toddler with his first lolly-pop, just wishing it was already 7:pm so I could scream these old vocal chords into shreds. GBO!

Reactions: Remy
So a coach and team being together longer gives them an edge?? When did Fla. hire Mullins, when did we hire Pruitt?? Hummmm
Pay no attention to my BS! Go Vols!!!!
I’m not saying this applies to Us, just saying in general if it’s a good coach and the team has chemistry it definitely helps!

I think it means something, just not as much as some people want to believe.
Indeed. This means that you have paid the price of admission to the big boys league. Now what you do with that talent once you are "in the club" is what separates the great programs from the mediocre. I am hoping we are starting the move from the later case to the former.

Reactions: vols 30
Dunno but the excuse I use is this is Pruitt’s first year. The last few years my excuse was our coach sucks.

VN Store

Back