2018 Amira Collins on Holly Warlick

"I saw all the comments that were being made about my coach," Collins said. "I just felt like it was wrong. I felt like I have a great coach, she's doing a great job and people are taking stabs at her and taking stabs at Tennessee when they shouldn't. Because they think freshmen can get it done overnight when it just can't happen like that or they'll come at Coach Holly. And I think that was wrong."

Massengill also saw Warlick's postgame comment, in which she said the players "don't deserve half the crap that's thrown at them" before adding "If it means something to you, it should hurt. And those young ladies are hurting in the locker room and so is their coaching staff."

"If she wasn't emotional about it, it'd be like she doesn't care," said Massengill, a 6-foot guard from Chattanooga. "To me, to know she cares about winning and losing and the success of her players shows who she is."

Green said she hadn't watched Warlick's comment. But the 6-foot guard from Duncanville (Texas) High said that Warlick was a "huge factor" in her choosing Tennessee, a decision that largely was based on one campus recruiting visit last November.

Reactions: 5 people
It's a cold day in hell when players do NOT have their head coach's back. They work together, live together, train together, and are like family, even in a failing program. Only in the most extreme of circumstances will players publicly turn against their HC. It's similar to talking down your mother or father to strangers because they are a drunk, derelict, and abusive. It's like talking yourself down.

Now, whether CHW needs to stay or go, I know not. But if this is considered evidence of success, then you need to try harder.

Reactions: 6 people
Looking at this deeper - Collins is making the choice to come to Tennessee and play. She’s dedicated. She’s aware of what’s going on and she’s aware what people are saying ... yet she’s still coming because she believes. She sees something and feels something to be here with Holly.

So for fans who are not there, don’t believe, and are not in favor of the coaching situation. What are you going to do? Continue to complain or move on Seriously, at some point you have to decide am I here or am I done? If your idea is to continue to sit and blog about Holly, how are you impacting the situation? You’re not. Your just another measly complainer sitting behind a keyboard.

Voices are important and the facts are facts and I totally understand the frustration and see where it’s coming from. Is it warranted? yes... but how long. We all know talking is just hot air. According to the poll on here 85% of us will need to decide will we be supporting the 2018/2019 Lady Vols or not?

Reactions: 7 people
Looking at this deeper - Collins is making the choice to come to Tennessee and play. She’s dedicated. She’s aware of what’s going on and she’s aware what people are saying ... yet she’s still coming because she believes. She sees something and feels something to be here with Holly.

So for fans who are not there, don’t believe, and are not in favor of the coaching situation. What are you going to do? Continue to complain or move on Seriously, at some point you have to decide am I here or am I done? If your idea is to continue to sit and blog about Holly, how are you impacting the situation? You’re not. Your just another measly complainer sitting behind a keyboard.

Voices are important and the facts are facts and I totally understand the frustration and see where it’s coming from. Is it warranted? yes... but how long. We all know talking is just hot air. According to the poll on here 85% of us will need to decide will we be supporting the 2018/2019 Lady Vols or not?
Yessssssssss thank you!!!! I really think people here hope that the program falls off the face of the earth. Wishing players transfer, wishing we lose to the team up north, a true fan of the program wouldn’t want us to lose to UCONN PERIOD; just saying mean spirited and hateful things about a coach that’s going to still be the coach next season, KNOWING potential recruits read those things.

It’s okay to critique her coaching, as we all have at one point, but we get it! If Holly continues to bring in recruits, then obviously they are seeing something that we can’t. The past 3 years have been atrocious, yet players still want to come and play for her. I’m tired of people screaming, “tradition” “Tenn recruits itself”...if I was a top high school recruit, I wouldn’t give a damn about Tenn and their 8 NCs, hell I didn’t win them, and the coach that did, isn’t even here anymore.

These girls come to play for Holly and her staff, we either need to support them or find another team to cheer for.

Reactions: 9 people
Most all coaches care about their players welfare, education, and skills. Holly is no different. She is not getting the best out of the wealth of talent that has been brought in. Time to hire a coach that can do that and start making final fours again.

Reactions: 4 people
Yessssssssss thank you!!!! I really think people here hope that the program falls off the face of the earth. Wishing players transfer, wishing we lose to the team up north, a true fan of the program wouldn’t want us to lose to UCONN PERIOD; just saying mean spirited and hateful things about a coach that’s going to still be the coach next season, KNOWING potential recruits read those things.

It’s okay to critique her coaching, as we all have at one point, but we get it! If Holly continues to bring in recruits, then obviously they are seeing something that we can’t. The past 3 years have been atrocious, yet players still want to come and play for her. I’m tired of people screaming, “tradition” “Tenn recruits itself”...if I was a top high school recruit, I wouldn’t give a damn about Tenn and their 8 NCs, hell I didn’t win them, and the coach that did, isn’t even here anymore.

These girls come to play for Holly and her staff, we either need to support them or find another team to cheer for.

Holly did that all by herself. The fans is not the reason she sucks at being a coach. Holly destroyed this program all by herself and she can bring in the best talent every year and it still wont matter. You can defend her all you want and say go find another team all you want. Holly is not the answer and the University does not care about the girls basketball program any longer. If they did then Holly would of been fired already.

Reactions: 10 people
The girl is as naïve as you'd expect a kid of her age to be.
She probably doesn't know enough about the history of Tennessee basketball to realize that Holly's coaching of the latest recruiting class isn't the crux of the problem. For years now, Holly has been a chronic affliction that keeps on giving - sorta like herpes.

Last edited:
Holly did that all by herself. The fans is not the reason she sucks at being a coach. Holly destroyed this program all by herself and she can bring in the best talent every year and it still wont matter. You can defend her all you want and say go find another team all you want. Holly is not the answer and the University does not care about the girls basketball program any longer. If they did then Holly would of been fired already.

Exactly. I can understand wanting to support one of our own. But how far does it have to go? How many negative program firsts need to happen?How many years do they not bring home the SEC regular season or tournament championships? Do they have to not be selected for the NCAA tournament? Do we go 12 years blaming the players?

Dammit, I watched Holly play when I was at UT. I wish there was a sliver of hope I could feel for her. If only three words would stop coming outta her mouth; I don't know. She keeps saying that, as stated above, all by herself.

Pat built the program from nothing, and turned it into something special. She knew what she was doing. Maybe Holly will find some old notes Pat left behind that will tell her what she doesn't know. Because hearing the excuses from her motorcycle mechanic, hair dresser, and housekeeper is getting boring.

Reactions: 8 people
Exactly. I can understand wanting to support one of our own. But how far does it have to go? How many negative program firsts need to happen?How many years do they not bring home the SEC regular season or tournament championships? Do they have to not be selected for the NCAA tournament? Do we go 12 years blaming the players?

Dammit, I watched Holly play when I was at UT. I wish there was a sliver of hope I could feel for her. If only three words would stop coming outta her mouth; I don't know. She keeps saying that, as stated above, all by herself.

Pat built the program from nothing, and turned it into something special. She knew what she was doing. Maybe Holly will find some old notes Pat left behind that will tell her what she doesn't know. Because hearing the excuses from her motorcycle mechanic, hair dresser, and housekeeper is getting boring.

I dont get the people that defend her. At this point who can ? The only thing I can think of is they rather her be the coach and the team look and play like crap than have a coach that can actually coach and win championships. Then you hear wait until next year and each year is no different than any other year. pretty pathetic.

Obviously Holly is a great recruiter. I have not commented much because I have got to the point I had to stop watching them. She is a horrible X and O coach. She has no clue how to win a game that coaching affects a lot unless you have way more talent and sometimes in game coaching can even make a difference then.

Reactions: 2 people
A poster yesterday said it best. No middle ground. Extend her two years or let her go now. The other options are letting the contract run out next year or a one year extension now - middle ground

That right there would be very funny if it were not so true.....

In the end the point is Holly hasn't been to the final four in any of the six years she has been coach no matter who the players were so saying freshmen couldn't get it done is irrelevant since no team that she has coached has got it done.
I wish she could do the job make it to the final four put out teams that win SEC titles and other Championships. The fact is she can't and until she does should be on the hot seat.
She has another year on her contract and 8 McDonalds All Americans on the roster let her coach next season with an elite 8 NCAA and top three SEC or she is gone. Nothing wrong with those expectations for next year's team. Teams and coaches need to have goals or changes need to be made.
This would not be unfair to Holly or the fans. The major factor is we can't go on like this forever fans are leaving everyday crowds are shrinking. Scary that we are becoming a non factor in a sport Tennessee once dominated.

VN Store

Back