2018-2019 Predictions Thread

How many wins do you think the basketvols will get this year?

• 29 or more

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • 27-28

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • 25-26

Votes: 49 27.5%
  • 23-24

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • 21-22

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 20 or less

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Yea I just mentioned similar in a new thread, Alexander is the guy that NBA guys like the most of that group. Add in the fact that Lamonte Turner was 6th MOY in SEC and it’s pretty crazy to think how down some were on this roster not too long ago.

To be honest, prior to last year, there was good reasons to be concerned except for Grant

To be honest, prior to last year, there was good reasons to be concerned except for Grant

Not really...most saw a freshman year from Bone/Bowden/Turner that made many on here excited for the future. Also saw a close to the sophomore campaign from Schofield that gave lots of optimism for his future at Tennessee.

I get people don’t want to be patient but I’m guessing most are pretty glad they were.

Not really...most saw a freshman year from Bone/Bowden/Turner that made many on here excited for the future. Also saw a close to the sophomore campaign from Schofield that gave lots of optimism for his future at Tennessee.

I get people don’t want to be patient but I’m guessing most are pretty glad they were.
I think the lack of patience comes from watching the blue blood programs that stay on top by reloading every season. The old school method of actually developing talent seemed archaic but has sure paid off for Barnes. And I don't think he's finished. Wants to go out with a bang and we gonna reap the rewards. Have to admit, I was a doubter for a while. papaw has come thru.

I think the lack of patience comes from watching the blue blood programs that stay on top by reloading every season. The old school method of actually developing talent seemed archaic but has sure paid off for Barnes. And I don't think he's finished. Wants to go out with a bang and we gonna reap the rewards. Have to admit, I was a doubter for a while. papaw has come thru.

I get why people were hesitant but 1. I thought we saw enough from the true freshman and player development to give some optimism and 2. What was the other choice? Fire him after 2 years and hire a MM up and comer and hope you catch lightning?

A lot of it was those who didn’t like the Barnes hire to begin with. Many of those that did like the hire didn’t like his new approach to recruiting. Yet another portion wanted the quick turnaround Pearl provided, as it was still fresh enough in their memory. And then of course others just wanted instant gratification because the football program seemed perpetually doomed and they wanted a winner to cheer for in something.

Patience was needed and we are being rewarded for it.

I was, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I remember our guard play struggling the last month or so of that season.

The guards have definitely improved, especially Turner. But at that time, there was some doubt ....... IMO

I was, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I remember our guard play struggling the last month or so of that season.

The guards have definitely improved, especially Turner. But at that time, there was some doubt ....... IMO

They were freshman, I think most people understood that and realized that most freshman will struggle at some point, again it was about patience and seeing a foundation being put into place.

You could see the fight in them year before last. They always played hard. Yes they made some mistakes typical of young players but they went toe to toe with everyone. The Gonzaga game was a great example. With little inside presence that year Gonzaga was a nightmare matchup with 3 7-footers. To make it worse the game started with their guards raining 3s like Curry and Thompson. We were down more than 20 minutes into the game. Despite the deficit and horrible matchup we clawed our way back into the game. Even though we couldn’t close the deal I was very impressed. I strongly felt we would make the tourney last year before the season started. I though a 8/9 seed at best though and never thought we would be as good as we turned out to be. Great season, great coach, and great kids.

I keep hearing that the SEC is getting tougher in basketball the last 3 years now, but I haven't seen any proof of that to this point. There will be about 5 good teams this year including us, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Florida, and Auburn. Mississippi State might be a little better, but that's about it. Alabama will be the same or worse, A&M will be way worse, Missouri and Arkansas will be about the same. South Carolina , Ole Miss, LSU, and Georgia will be bad. We should split the games against the 5 good teams, and beat the bad teams

I'll say 26 wins, #2 seed in the NCAA tournament.
I definitely don’t agree. The SEC was much better out of conference last year than usual. They didn’t do as well in the tournament but the seeding dictated that as they actually played dead on the seeding I believe. The SEC even went 10-8 against the supposedly mighty Big 12 that everyone raved about last year.
LSU will be pretty good this year actually as they have a great class coming in. What has happened to this league is the quality of coaches has gone way up. Martin at SC, Crean is now at UGA, Johnson at Bama, Davis at Ole Miss, Barnes, and so on. I see 7 tourney teams. KY, UF, UT, Auburn are locks. Miss St and Bama should make it and I think at least one gets in between Vandy, LSU, and SC. If not 7 then 6 for sure which is a high number for the SEC. I see the conference right there with the ACC for top conference.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and I didn’t take part in this thread originally, but it’s odd to me that a not insignificant amount of people expected us to regress from last season. Not sure why anyone would’ve thought that to be the case considering our most significant loss was James Daniel

VN Store

Back