'20 TN DT Omari Thomas (UT SIGNEE)

What you have to understand is that is too high regardless. As a DL at any tech you never stand straight up and gv away your chest. That spin move in the interior is also a NO NO. All he would do is spin into the help. I trained Kyle Phillios and Montori Hughes both of which made it to the NFL. Also had a prospect this yr from Ga Tech Brandon Adams who died in a frat incident. I don't care where you rush from we don't expose our chest. If you do you will get thrown clean out of the club and you won't like it and feel very embarrassed on film day

100%.

What you have to understand is that is too high regardless. As a DL at any tech you never stand straight up and gv away your chest. That spin move in the interior is also a NO NO. All he would do is spin into the help. I trained Kyle Phillios and Montori Hughes both of which made it to the NFL. Also had a prospect this yr from Ga Tech Brandon Adams who died in a frat incident. I don't care where you rush from we don't expose our chest. If you do you will get thrown clean out of the club and you won't like it and feel very embarrassed on film day
I get it and that move won't help you on the interior. I have no problem with him using it if he's gonna be on the edge, or in this case a meaningless drill.

You're right tho, it's a leverage game and pad level is something 90% of these kids on the DL have to be coached up on.

I get it and that move won't help you on the interior. I have no problem with him using it if he's gonna be on the edge, or in this case a meaningless drill.

You're right tho, it's a leverage game and pad level is something 90% of these kids on the DL have to be coached up on.

I played DT many years ago, but the basics have not changed. What you call pad level, was.known as leverage. LOS play is all about leverage and quickness.

I played DT many years ago, but the basics have not changed. What you call pad level, was.known as leverage. LOS play is all about leverage and quickness.
I totally agree and I also think it was always beneficial for interior linemen on either side of the ball to have been in a good wrestling program for a few years as well. If you do well in that sport and master some of the techniques and fundamentals, those things can be very beneficial for linemen.

Reactions: tn4elvis
I totally agree and I also think it was always beneficial for interior linemen on either side of the ball to have been in a good wrestling program for a few years as well. If you do well in that sport and master some of the techniques and fundamentals, those things can be very beneficial for linemen.
The game hasnt changed much.Pad level is still very important. They coaches now emphasize hands and hand placement more so now because of the size and strength of the players. Most battles are won by who gets inside hand position on the Ol.Or if the Dl doesn't allow the Ol inside hand position. 😁

His hands and agility are what jumps off the page from those reps. I agree with de1 that he looked high in that first highlight. Leverage is so key on the line

Agree. The pad level can be fixed. Good hands but relies on that too much. To me, he should be exploding into the blocker. Instead, he stands up and starts hand fighting. Again, fixable.

Here are the players with the best chance to be key contributors and make an immediate impact as true freshmen.

3. Omari Thomas, defensive lineman
He goes by “Big O” and he’s the best kind of early-impact guy. He may just be too good to keep off the field. Tennessee made him a priority in this recruiting cycle, and even with a quartet of seniors in a crowded defensive end rotation, it’s hard to see Thomas not being part of it. Darel Middleton made big strides in 2019, but Aubrey Solomon is much better in run support than as a pass rusher. Latrell Bumphus and Matthew Butler are capable but lack the upside of Thomas, who could develop into an early-round pick. He’s more athletic than you’d expect at 6-foot-4 and 319 pounds, and he could also find a spot as the nose guard when Tennessee plays its 1-4-6 alignment on obvious passing downs. Thomas will play. The only question is how much.
-Ubben

Ubben mentions a 1-4-6 alignment on passing downs. I don't think Big O is best suited to be on the inside in that alignment. I want that kid 1v1 w/ a tackle if at all possible. That's why I wasn't perturbed by his coming out of a spin move high in the earlier highlight. I envision his athleticism with space to maneuver.

VN Store

Back