#2 Strength of Schedule

DiderotsGhost

According to this week's Sagarin ratings, we now have the #2 strength of schedule.

Rankings of our opponents

1. Alabama
6. Georgia
12. Florida
19. West Virginia
21. Auburn
181. UTEP
186. ETSU

Future opponents

24. Kentucky
30. Missouri
36. South Carolina
69. Vanderbilt
153. Charlotte

Also according to Sagarin, we need at least 1 upset to go to a bowl game.

Reactions: MAD
According to this week's Sagarin ratings, we now have the #2 strength of schedule.

1. Alabama
6. Georgia
12. Florida
19. West Virginia
21. Auburn
181. UTEP
186. ETSU

Future opponents

24. Kentucky
30. Missouri
36. South Carolina
69. Vanderbilt
153. Charlotte

Kentucky isn’t #24 they are #14.

Reactions: RollerVol

1. Alabama
6. Georgia
12. Florida
19. West Virginia
21. Auburn
181. UTEP
186. ETSU

Future opponents

24. Kentucky
30. Missouri
36. South Carolina
69. Vanderbilt
153. Charlotte

Somehow I’m missing strength of schedule in that link. Who has a tougher schedule than us?

Reactions: VolsLady-in-FL
So what? Is there a trophy for this? They've been playing tough schedules and sucking for a decade. Doing it over and over has resulted in no improvement. Clearly it's not a recruiting advantage. Cue Hillary. Next year maybe it eases up a bit and they win 7. Maybe SC or Missouri or somebody takes a giant step forward and UT can claim the #2 SOS trophy again.

Somehow I’m missing strength of schedule in that link. Who has a tougher schedule than us?

mad4vols already said, but it's Iowa State.

The SOS rankings are under "SCHEDL (RANK)" with the rank being in parenthesis. I don't think Sagarin publishes a version of this with the teams ordered by SOS, so you just have to scroll through them to figure out who's ranked #1, #2, etc.

This might matter if we were a little more competitive in some more of our big game. Making a bowl is a solid first year

Reactions: TrentVol
So what? Is there a trophy for this? They've been playing tough schedules and sucking for a decade. Doing it over and over has resulted in no improvement. Clearly it's not a recruiting advantage. Cue Hillary. Next year maybe it eases up a bit and they win 7. Maybe SC or Missouri or somebody takes a giant step forward and UT can claim the #2 SOS trophy again.
May I suggest some Midol ???

I go through this every year, but part of the reason for the strength of schedule is the losses.

For instance, if Tennessee had lost to Auburn, Auburn would still be ranked and the strength of schedule would look better.

Alabama is in a class of their own.

I have no idea how good West Virginia is. Their best win is against a Texas Tech team that got boat raced by Ole Miss. I’m not sure how good Florida is, but they have a good win. Georgia does not have a good win and if they don’t beat Florida, they won’t get one al season. Either way, it appears if Florida and Georgia win all remaining games against unranked teams, they will win 10 games.

While I get that all of these teams are quality opponents, I don’t know how good they really are.

Florida is going to be ranked in the top 10 this week. If they beat Georgia, they may stay there a while. Are they a top 10 team?

Those are "today's" ratings. It is even stronger if you consider where some were ranked when UT played 'em.

we shouldve played an easier team than West Virginia in our non conference. I wouldnt mind playing Ga Tech every year as a non conf game.
But we got BYU next year soo

Sp if we beat Charlotte, Mizzou and Vandy why would we need to upset anyone. None of those three are contenders of anything

Tennessee and LSU have very similar schedules this year, both should finish top 10, I would expect LSU to move into the top 3 soon. Both play the following: Georgia, Florida, and Bama. The Gumps schedule has been a cakewalk but gets tougher here on out, but I expect them to go to SECC. I don't think Florida can hang with them, Georgia maybe. Mississippi State has the best defense in the country though, but that QB has really fell off a cliff as far as passing.

The only teams I can see slowing down the Gumps is MS/LSU.... maybe Michigan.

I wonder if there is any difference in playing the second toughest schedule as compared to the 51st? Guess not huh?
A false sense that you are better than what you think you are? We are not a team good, does saying "But our strength of schedule is #2" change that fact? Does it make the sloppy, undisciplined play that we have seen most of the year go away? With the exception of the auburn game we are.on average more than 26 points worse than any team we expect Tennessee to be competitive with (in terms of what most of us have know tennessee to historically to be.)
So tell me, what does saying we have the #2 DID really change?

Nope. Its just more proof of just how difficult this season is for Pruitt and his staff.
Do we need "more proof?" If we look decent in these final games, possibly make a bowl, most will consider that a solid season. Is anyone going to say "man, had we only had the 20th sos we woulda been good?

we shouldve played an easier team than West Virginia in our non conference. I wouldnt mind playing Ga Tech every year as a non conf game.
But we got BYU next year soo
Next year I believe UT and Arkansas are the only two SEC teams not to play a P5 team in OOC. Schedule sets up very well next year including two byes and one before Georgia, no reason at all not to win at least 8 next year. Next year UT will be among the easiest, probably just behind Arkansas in the SEC.

Tennessee and LSU have very similar schedules this year, both should finish top 10, I would expect LSU to move into the top 3 soon. Both play the following: Georgia, Florida, and Bama. The Gumps schedule has been a cakewalk but gets tougher here on out, but I expect them to go to SECC. I don't think Florida can hang with them, Georgia maybe. Mississippi State has the best defense in the country though, but that QB has really fell off a cliff as far as passing.

The only teams I can see slowing down the Gumps is MS/LSU.... maybe Michigan.
Lol do yall remember when Joe Moorhead said MSU QB Fitzpatrick would win the Heisman under him, and look at how horrible he is doing

VN Store

Back