'19 JUCO OLB Kuony Deng

I'm very intrigued by this player. Lots of upside here. Great athleticism, high motor, high football IQ. MaxPreps rates in high school as the 50th ranked school in VA. I think this kid is a legit prospect, and I wouldn't be upset at all if we end up with him.

I wish I could see some HS stats because generally if you are completely under the recruiting sites radar, and have no offers, statistically... I’d say the chances aren’t great of him succeeding in the SEC.

There can be outliers like the WR from GA who went to FSU late last year, but he was killing it on Friday nights. If you didn’t produce on Friday nights, you probably won’t against Bama and Florida either.
Agreed and if you didn’t play at all on Fridays nights you will produce even less *cough* kongbo *cough*

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Yeah, I know, everyone will jump in and name every player they can dig up. That’s fine. I stand by my statement. I’m comfortable with people disagreeing
Some people just don’t understand the phrase “exception to the rule”

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Yeah, I know, everyone will jump in and name every player they can dig up. That’s fine. I stand by my statement. I’m comfortable with people disagreeing
I’m glad. If you had been uncomfortable it would have taken the joy out of my point.

Some people just don’t understand the phrase “exception to the rule”
Every year there are multiple “exceptions” and that’s just in the DRAFT. Exceptional college players get overlooked regularly...mainly due to not camping and/or high school development or scheme fits. Brett Favre was a veer QB...Terrell Davis was a NT etc etc. Best odds are in landing five stars and four stars but evaluating high level athletes for a spot or two is very important in an elite program. How many pine for TCU’s Patterson year in and year out? His core recruit is a Texas 3 star athlete with POTENTIAL. Not asking anyone to get EXCITED...just get off the ledge. I don’t want anyone cratering my Mercedes.

toivms7bpkjrmhkptj9e

6'6" 235lbs
OLB/DE
JUCO Independence CC
2019 Early Enrollee per 247

Kuony Deng, 2019 Outside linebacker - Rivals.com

Kuony Deng, Independence C.C., Weak-Side Defensive End

Kuony Deng on Hudl

Has this guy played football for more than two years? We can’t take a chance on another project, I.e Kongbo.

Every year there are multiple “exceptions” and that’s just in the DRAFT. Exceptional college players get overlooked regularly...mainly due to not camping and/or high school development or scheme fits. Brett Favre was a veer QB...Terrell Davis was a NT etc etc. Best odds are in landing five stars and four stars but evaluating high level athletes for a spot or two is very important in an elite program. How many pine for TCU’s Patterson year in and year out? His core recruit is a Texas 3 star athlete with POTENTIAL. Not asking anyone to get EXCITED...just get off the ledge. I don’t want anyone cratering my Mercedes.
I agree 100% and I trust 110% in this staffs ability to evaluate talent. So you’re not going to get any argument from me about any offer they extend. They know more than me. I do still star gaze a little bit bc the evidence is overwhelming - load a team with 4&5 star guys and enough will pan out that you have yourself some serious talent.

I agree 100% and I trust 110% in this staffs ability to evaluate talent. So you’re not going to get any argument from me about any offer they extend. They know more than me. I do still star gaze a little bit bc the evidence is overwhelming - load a team with 4&5 star guys and enough will pan out that you have yourself some serious talent.
Landing 5 stars begats landing more 5 stars and high 4 stars, which is the pool you want to swim in. But even the perennial recruiting giants have 3 stars in their classes...because “exceptions” happen.

Landing 5 stars begats landing more 5 stars and high 4 stars, which is the pool you want to swim in. But even the perennial recruiting giants have 3 stars in their classes...because “exceptions” happen.
Yeah and you need guys to keep the foundation in place and stay 4-5 yrs

Since 2002 UT has had 13 5*players (based on 247).

I can only see 1 that I would consider a stud (E Berry). Riggs was very good as was JaWan James and D. Morley.
Meachem and T Smith had/has moments. That's it. 1 All American

14 5*(if Morris signs) in 18 yrs is pretty good, but the 4* and 3* players have to elevate themselves. The Bama's of the world that get 2-4 5* guys a year can afford a few busts, UT (or any other school) can't. JMO

Well, if football doesn’t work out for him maybe he’s a small forward.

Luol Deng played for the Bulls.

Has this guy played football for more than two years? We can’t take a chance on another project, I.e Kongbo.

He's played at least 5 years, was on the roster at Storm Lake HS in Iowa his sophomore year. FWIW, family is from Sudan but he was born in San Diego.

As mentioned earlier, very good basketball player in HS and as a WR, averaged over 25 yards per catch his senior year:

6-foot-6 senior forward who plans to play both College Basketball and College Football at VMI, Deng was named the Virginia High School League's State Player of the Year for Group 4A. He averaged 19.5 points, 10.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 3.0 blocks per game for a Knights team that finished 23-5 overall with their first ever appearance in the State Tournament Final Four.

Also selected as Conference 22 Player of the Year and 4A-West Region Player of the Year, Deng had one of his finest moments in the Glory Days Grill Tournament of Championships when he posted 32 points and six blocks to propel John Champe past Lake Braddock, a Group 6A school. Deng closed out his Champe career with 1433 points, 786 rebounds and 228 blocks.

VirginiaPreps.com - VaPreps 4A All-State Hoops Teams for 2015-16

A lot of other teams wanted Kongbo too. I think the idea is to have about 4 or 5 Kongbos on the roster that way if a couple of them don’t pan out you’re still good.

From quick glance of Hudl film he looks very athletic in space but raw overall. Could have big upside.

Sounds like Kongbo................ Maybe getting in early with the NEW coaching staff could make the difference..........

A lot of other teams wanted Kongbo too. I think the idea is to have about 4 or 5 Kongbos on the roster that way if a couple of them don’t pan out you’re still good.
I think avoiding the all or nothing is the best course. Otherwise we’d have to second guess going after 5 star linebackers after Chris Donald and Daniel Brooks.

Haven’t seen it posted - how many years of eligibility would this guy have?

Pruitt and co. coaching up Deng >>> Butch and co. coaching up Kongbo

VN Store

Back