'18 FL DT Kingston Harris (UT signee)

You would get murdered if you ran the 46 as your base scheme. It was designed for the two back haydays... That's why you don't see as much two back anymore (it made it obsolete)... Now you will see an adaptation of the 46 with a "bear front" or "double eagle"... Same thing. But putting a LB and a SS up their on the line in a spread system is asking a lot. Essentially if you you have one failed assignment on the line you are screwed.

Also, if all the RPO's the 46 would never be "right" because of the conflict between run and pass for the LB's and SS....

Safety and Lb still have to take their read step...
The RPOs are quickly getting schemed for, because the perimeter players are never beyond 5 yards run or pass. That means as long as your d-line is stout you can stop the run AND play the pass...

You would get murdered if you ran the 46 as your base scheme. It was designed for the two back haydays... That's why you don't see as much two back anymore (it made it obsolete)... Now you will see an adaptation of the 46 with a "bear front" or "double eagle"... Same thing. But putting a LB and a SS up their on the line in a spread system is asking a lot. Essentially if you you have one failed assignment on the line you are screwed.

Also, if all the RPO's the 46 would never be "right" because of the conflict between run and pass for the LB's and SS....

46 didn’t last after Ryan departed. Vince Tobin made it more read and react. Still overwhelming talent until the Bears allowed Wilber Marshall to run to the Redskins. Dent was great of course, but the meanness off the edge was Marshall. Never recovered from that. Seeing that aggressive philosophy again with Fangio’s scheme. Hence my admiration for the 3-4...and wanting it for my Vols.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Eh I think there’s a pretty strong argument to be made for rule changes shifting to favor passing and teams starting to favor more athletic and/or versatile TEs being the reason you don’t see as much 2 back stuff nowadays. That goes double for the NFL, where a fullback is generally less valuable than a TE from a 52 man roster perspective. Most teams will favor carrying an extra TE over a FB nowadays because they often bring more utility from a skillset standpoint than a FB does.

If it was still legal to break receivers or WRs in half when they go over the middle, we’d probably see more teams investing in grounding things out with a FB again. 10-15 years ago plenty of teams regularly used a FB and the 46 defense has been around for the better part of 2 decades at that point.

Edit: 46, not bear lol

Last edited:
We had 2 huge monsters at NT at that time....
- Noonan 5’10” 220 and a guy named Chavis 5’10” 222.

Before you laugh, these 2 guys would cut your heart out and eat it.

I did not realize Chavis played there. I sure do remember Jimmy Noooooooooooh-nan.

I loved to watch him play even though I was a kid and did not know all that much about football.

Reactions: 1 person
I did not realize Chavis played there. I sure do remember Jimmy Noooooooooooh-nan.

I loved to watch him play even though I was a kid and did not know all that much about football.

Yes, Noonan was special. Tennessee played Ole Miss in Memphis. Two guys I went to high school with played for Ole Miss. One played center and the other played guard. They chopped Noonan and tore up his knee. One held him up and the other cut him. Noonan got up and hopped off the field on one leg. I never forgave those guys for that.

Chavis was the best wrestler on the team. Nobody could beat him.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, Noonan was special. Tennessee played Ole Miss in Memphis. Two guys I went to high school with played for Ole Miss. One played center and the other played guard. They chopped Noonan and tore up his knee. One held him up and the other cut him. Noonan got up and hopped off the field on one leg. I never forgave those guys for that.

Chavis was the best wrestler on the team. Nobody could beat him.

I remember Noonan had to be wheeled out on a cart, maybe, on Senior Day, when he went through the T for the last time. I loved watching him play. He was a terror.

We had 2 huge monsters at NT at that time....
- Noonan 5’10” 220 and a guy named Chavis 5’10” 222.

Before you laugh, one was all-SEC and the other ended up being a great defensive coach for the Volz..

I remember when Majors used to say, "Play like a Noonan. Play like a Jenkins (Danny "Pert" Jenkins of Elizabethton).
They played bigger than their size.

VN Store

Back