'13 SC DL Jaylen Miller (UT signee)

I noticed he has offers from Florida and LSU but not in state schools SC and Clemson. What up with that?

I noticed he has offers from Florida and LSU but not in state schools SC and Clemson. What up with that?

I can only imagine 2 things:

1. They want him as a DT, and he ain’t havin’ it

2. The second they offer he’ll accept on the spot, so save it for roster padding

I’m gonna go with #1 in this case, while being wary of #2.

This is this kind of recruit I perceive our staff getting and converting into a DT. IMO we aren't going to target very many pure DTs.

This is this kind of recruit I perceive our staff getting and converting into a DT. IMO we aren't going to target very many pure DTs.

Didja read the thing from VQ? Gonna be a DE if he can help it. That’s our pitch to him.

Didja read the thing from VQ? Gonna be a DE if he can help it. That’s our pitch to him.

I think we are going to recruit a lot of kids with that sales pitch and let some grow into the DT position. Just looking at our offers I think that's going to be their approach.

I think we are going to recruit a lot of kids with that sales pitch and let some grow into the DT position. Just looking at our offers I think that's going to be their approach.

I was thinking about that last night when I should’ve been sleeping. It occurs to me that the reason UC’s defensive line went 250, 270, 270, 240 across was because they were using the guys that a mid-range Big East team could acquire. But now with the resources that Tennessee affords, they can get some 270-280 defensive ends and defensive tackles with 5.0 speed in the 320 lbs. range.

I’m not sure Jones has ever seen a 6'6" 330+pounder, and now he’s got one on both sides of the offensive line. And another one on defense who’s even bigger than them. There could be some giddiness happening when he gets to their first spring practice.

But I’m not saying that won’t happen. I just think that isn’t what will happen.

I was thinking about that last night when I should’ve been sleeping. It occurs to me that the reason UC’s defensive line went 250, 270, 270, 240 across was because they were using the guys that a mid-range Big East team could acquire. But now with the resources that Tennessee affords, they can get some 270-280 defensive ends and defensive tackles with 5.0 speed in the 320 lbs. range.

I’m not sure Jones has ever seen a 6'6" 330+pounder, and now he’s got one on both sides of the offensive line. And another one on defense who’s even bigger than them. There could be some giddiness happening when he gets to their first spring practice.

But I’m not saying that won’t happen. I just think that isn’t what will happen.

It will be Interesting to see what happens in 14. Just my guess but I think even then we still will focus more on DEs but I am strictly guessing.

It will be Interesting to see what happens in 14. Just my guess but I think even then we still will focus more on DEs but I am strictly guessing.

I’m thinking of a couple of non-qualifiers for Alabama alone they wanted that will come out of JUCO next year. Depending on how we’re healed up this cycle there’s gonna be some quality from the JUCO and prep route that could come in with high school freshmen next year. Couch and McCullers to the NFL will be a good selling point.

This guy or Bellamy to go with Lawson would be a helluva DE haul...and I agree that Carr will likely be a 3-tech DT here...and he'll be a damn good one at that

Reactions: 1 person
Just think of a line like:
Bellamy--Miller--Carr--Lawson

I know this guy wants to play DE, but I really see him as a good pass rushing DT.

I know we told Miller he could play DE, but we are thin at DT. I'd be happy if he was playing at either though...

Just think of a line like:
Bellamy--Miller--Carr--Lawson

I know this guy wants to play DE, but I really see him as a good pass rushing DT.

I know we told Miller he could play DE, but we are thin at DT. I'd be happy if he was playing at either though...

We're in Bryant's final 2 also.

"How long will Georgia Tech hold a spot for Miller? “Coach Johnson said the scholarship offer was on a first-come, first-served basis. I like Georgia Tech but I don’t want to commit before I have at least one other school to compare it to.” Georgia Tech has 16 commitments for 2013, and will likely sign between 17-19.

Miller is scheduled to visit Wake Forest this weekend, although he is trying to switch it out with Tennessee. He also will tour Maryland."

-AJC

Thought this was an interesting quote. Miller is thinking about making a decision, but wants to see another school to see how much he really thinks of GT. Next statement then says he wants to get to Knoxville this weekend instead of later. Could be a UT/GT battle.

Hubbs said the coaches stopped by to see Jaylen recently as he's "a major Vol target". From what SigNu posted it sounds like they want him in town this weekend.

VN Store

Back