Straight Talk Wireless (merged)

BCSsucks

YOU'RE DOIN IT WRONG!!
I have seen ads for this service. It appears to use the same network as Verizon's prepaid. Its a great deal, anybody using this? My contract with T-Mobile is almost up and I cant wait to change to something else.

cover.jpg

Dolly's people need to get on an endorsement deal.

I'm a Verizon Wireless employee, so I'll put my .02 worth in. Its prepaid service on a limited portion of the VZW network. The phone selection is awful and the service area should be researched before jumping into something that may not work for you. Follow the link below. **You must select Prepaid and click Refresh Map to see the actual service area** Bear in mind that the Straight Talk program does not include the Prepaid roaming area. Hope this helps.

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

Thanks! looks like it will work great for me

A guy that works with Charter Communication told me that Walmart has this phone service that uses Verizon cell towers. This may explain why Verizon doesn't offer unlimited broadband anymore (you are now limited to 5GB on your air cards and netbooks, probably due to the increased volume/used bandwidth???) and may explain why Verizon is having to drop their price on unlimited minutes (apparently, Straight Talk offers unlimited phone, text and data for $49.99/month).

Anybody familiar with this or have any experience with it yet?

A guy I work with has it and loves it. He said the reception is really good, and he goes to a bunch of places out in the sticks throughout the day.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This may explain why Verizon doesn't offer unlimited broadband anymore (you are now limited to 5GB on your air cards and netbooks, probably due to the increased volume/used bandwidth???) and may explain why Verizon is having to drop their price on unlimited minutes (apparently, Straight Talk offers unlimited phone, text and data for $49.99/month).

Verizon's 5 GB limit has been in affect since 2007.

The data prices are dropping because other carriers have lowered their prices.As for the Wal-Mart plan it sounds like a good deal that is reasonable priced.

Last edited:
They were offering unlimited broadband before October, I thought. Not anymore...

Verizon "Unlimited Access" Plan Is Extremely Limited - The Consumerist

It is unlimited...until you go over 5 GBs.:)

I was thrown off the Verizon network in 2007 for averaging 8-15 gigs a month with a data card. I then went to Sprint who was "unlimited," and in late 2008 they went to the 5 gig limit.I've never heard a word from Sprint though,and I go over about every month a few gigs....maybe 6-12 gigs max and I would say most of that comes from Windows/Apple updates on three computers and some youtube.

As of early 2009 Verizon stopped kicking people off their network for overages,and instead started charging them 25 cents for every megabyte over 5 gigs,but after so many complaints they dropped the price to 5 cents a megabyte over.

I've never had a problem with Verizon over my cell phones.Unless you tether it to a computer it would be very hard to use 5 gigs just browsing the internet on a phone.As for now the new 4G (LTE technology) Verizon is starting to roll out will be unlimited.

Last edited:
Verizon "Unlimited Access" Plan Is Extremely Limited - The Consumerist

It is unlimited...until you go over 5 GBs.:)

I was thrown off the Verizon network in 2007 for averaging 8-15 gigs a month with a data card. I then went to Sprint who was "unlimited," and in late 2008 they went to the 5 gig limit.I've never heard a word from Sprint though,and I go over about every month a few gigs....maybe 6-12 gigs max and I would say most of that comes from Windows/Apple updates on three computers and some youtube.

As of early 2009 Verizon stopped kicking people off their network for overages,and instead started charging them 25 cents for every megabyte over 5 gigs,but after so many complaints they dropped the price to 5 cents a megabyte over.

I've never had a problem with Verizon over my cell phones.Unless you tether it to a computer it would be very hard to use 5 gigs just browsing the internet on a phone.As for now the new 4G (LTE technology) Verizon is starting to roll out will be unlimited.

Yeah, tethering or using an air card or netbook is limited, but just surfing like I'm doing now is unlimited.

Still wonder how Straight Talk will handle me if I want to use a phone outside of their limited selection of smartphones...

Verizon's prepaid service is extremely limited. There are only certain towers dedicated providing service for their prepaid clients. Its always best to go w/ a contract, or provide ones own equipment for no contract.

Verizon has not offered unlimited gb plans in a long time, but, they have been grandfathered in. Alltel was the only carrier truly offering the unl gb plan up until the merger fyi. Sprint would cut u off.

As for LTE it has been successfully tested in two markets, but, stating that there will be an unlimited plan for aircards is speculative at best since we're a year away from its release...

Speculative at best. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that verizon again restricts bandwidth even w/ lte due to $$$$$$.

Just food for thought.

bump..

anybody have any comments about straight talk? :popcorn:

As a matter of fact...

I've been reworking my phones and internet plans and carriers and decided to try Straight Talk's unlimited everything plan for $45/month no contract. For me to prove the change to be worth it, I decided to really test the data usage for the first month. Well, even though they don't really tell you, "unlimited" means once you hit an arbitrary, unknown amount, you get throttled way down (around 100kbps download speed). I tried to download a 22mb app and it took over 30 minutes!

I called their regular customer service (sucks btw) and got excuses and was made to feel like nothing could be done and to see if the network would speed up later. A family member has the exact same ST phone, so I borrowed theirs and saw their speed nearly 20 times faster while speed testing side-by-side with my phone.

To shorten the story, I had to call a manager and get them to reprogram my service. I strongly suggested they tell their customers about the cap they've tried to pretend doesn't exist. THEY WILL THROTTLE YOU DOWN.

Last edited:
Just switched to Straight Talk. We’ll see how it goes.

I’m using the AT&T sim (they have the best coverage on post). Paying about the same I was on T-Mobile

like the new Cricket

Thought about trying them, but the price was the same as T-Mobile. But with ST, I can switch the sim if one has better coverage than the other (Verizon, AT&T).

I've used and am currently using straight talk. Good values. **** customer service. If Sprint has good coverage where you are, I'd recommend Boost Mobile. Same value and way better customer service. They even have me free months of service sometimes. But they run off Sprint towers and the coverage just wasn't good where I live.

Last edited:
We're on our 5th year or so with straighttalk. We've not had any problems so far. The only drawback we've had is not getting the discounts on new phones, but my understanding is even the traditional carriers don't do that anymore either.

VN Store

Back