Kayak Thread

blupotato

Drink Beer Save Water
Calling all kayakers or canoe enthusiasts! I have been paddling whitewater and flatwater for a few years. I prefer the flatwater and touring more these days than testing fate in raging whitewater. I was wondering if there were any boaters on the board and maybe get a little feedback on a few boats I am looking at to purchase. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think.

This is my dream boat right now and opted for the plastic version over the kevlar model due to considerable price difference. I am leaning more towards one of these and should have one of the two by mid-april. Hopefully.

P&H Sea Kayaks

Scorpio Sea Kayaking in St. Marys, & home of the first St. Johns River Expedition

I also am looking at this boat which is much cheaper and equally meeting my specs.

Essence 17 Kayak - Perception Kayaks

Hoping to hear some feedback and hear some of the boats or canoes that you all have and where you like to go.

i guess we have no Kayakers. I know if I had the waters near me, I would most def. be on ship.

yeah i am kind of baffled. figured there would at least be some canoe guys or some whitewater paddlers among us. really looking for some advice on these though.

I kayak whitewater. Flatwater's a lil boring for me tho

i kayaked whitewater for a little while and my buddies ear got ripped off, so i felt like that just was not another extremely dangerous sport to get into deeply. i enjoy the flatwater nowadays for touring long distances for a few weeks and island hop or go out and surf the ocean. it's a whole different activity, but a nice workout if anything.

I whitewater kayaked for a number of years but the move to Florida kindof put the kabosh on that! I just can't seem to get into the flatwater stuff, I've been island hoping here a few times and thought it was just OK. I'm waiting on a hurricane so I can do some ocean whitewater boating :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

i kayaked whitewater for a little while and my buddies ear got ripped off, so i felt like that just was not another extremely dangerous sport to get into deeply. i enjoy the flatwater nowadays for touring long distances for a few weeks and island hop or go out and surf the ocean. it's a whole different activity, but a nice workout if anything.

Wow I can see why you quit, that's crazy. I can honestly say I've never thought about getting my ear ripped off whenever I get in my boat.

Wow I can see why you quit, that's crazy. I can honestly say I've never thought about getting my ear ripped off whenever I get in my boat.

yeah i had never thought of that happening either, but i have heard from others of similar injuries happening. you never know when you brush up on a rock while rolling. but i was more concerned with drowning. that is just as unpredictable.

Been down the Nantahalla a few times, done the Chattahoochie after a flood. Also the Cartacay and a few more, but I can't remember their names. I want to try Tallulla Gorge when they let the water out but don't know if I can handle it. If you've ever been there...wow. It looks intense. Me and my buddies started going a few years ago, but we haven't gotten out much anymore. What about you?

well i mainly got into it when i lived out in colorado. i would paddle the arkansas, colorado, eagle, and roaring fork rivers. i was once on the crystal river out of marble, colorado that eventually dumps into the gunnison and have never been colder. a few years back i went through the grand canyon. but at the peak of my paddling i usually walked past a lot of class 5. i paddled class 3 and 4 fairly comfortably. nantahalla is a fun river and the ocoee is fun if you have the experience.

Never been out west. Would love to do the Grand Canyon. That reminds me you ever seen Into the Wild? Yea we were thinking about taking a trip up to the Ocoee, maybe this summer we'll do it.

Never been out west. Would love to do the Grand Canyon. That reminds me you ever seen Into the Wild? Yea we were thinking about taking a trip up to the Ocoee, maybe this summer we'll do it.

yeah i saw the movie a few weeks ago, i liked the book a little more, but the movie followed pretty close. the grand is awesome, but can be difficult to get a permit for. you should consider getting out west some time, it is well worth the trip. if i could have made more money guiding i would still be there.

Yeah I'm definitely going to try, just don't know when. Prob gonna be sometime after I get out of college. Can't afford to right now. You guide down the grand?

We drive up the Ocoee every Sunday to see my husband's parents. He grew up there. There have been two deaths there (one of them a guide) since I met hubby in 2004. It's a lot more dangerous than people realize.

Whitewater boating is dangerous period. Unfortunatly, eventually most big water paddlers will know a few who don't come back.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah I'm definitely going to try, just don't know when. Prob gonna be sometime after I get out of college. Can't afford to right now. You guide down the grand?

no i did not guide the grand canyon trip. i was part of a canyon/ native american study trip from moab through the grand canyon. we had oar boats most of the way and gotthe opportunity to get in kayaks for some fun along the way.

We drive up the Ocoee every Sunday to see my husband's parents. He grew up there. There have been two deaths there (one of them a guide) since I met hubby in 2004. It's a lot more dangerous than people realize.

i am sure there have been more. every spring when the colorado river started to run, we would pretty much count on at least a death a week. not just from drownings but heart attacks are just as common. rivers can be scary and you are at their mercy.

I think its easier to rent a kayak if you only do it a couple of times a year, plus they will come pick you up after a 4 hr float trip. :twocents:

taking my 16' old town penobscot down the Elk River this weekend to do a little trout fishing....

VN Store

Back