John Bean......The Real Leroy Mercer

rockytophigh

Rod Wilks is my co-pilot
I was introduced to these bootleg tapes as a Freshman at UT (1988). More recently I bought the CD and loved listening to it over an over. It may be the single funniest thing I've ever heard.

On the tape we had in college, there were a couple of other bits with him calling C&C Auto again, etc. Anyone have a copy of the ones not on the CD???

Also on the bootleg tape were The Drunk Preacher, Al White Motors, etc. etc. etc. I have found the drunk preacher but never Al White Motors and the infamous Benny....anyone know where this is as well????

I was introduced to these bootleg tapes as a Freshman at UT (1988). More recently I bought the CD and loved listening to it over an over. It may be the single funniest thing I've ever heard.

On the tape we had in college, there were a couple of other bits with him calling C&C Auto again, etc. Anyone have a copy of the ones not on the CD???

Also on the bootleg tape were The Drunk Preacher, Al White Motors, etc. etc. etc. I have found the drunk preacher but never Al White Motors and the infamous Benny....anyone know where this is as well????

my grandfather was a truck driver and had those bootleg tapes also. he didnt get them until the mid 90's, but they were absolutely hilarious. i remember riding around with him listening to them, and they were unedited and uncut.

Interesting. I will have to check out the original sometime.

Roy D. Mercer was a copycat out of Oklahoma....a morning dj I think......not even close to as funny....John used the name Roy Mercer in one of his calls. Here's the story.......

The true story of Leroy Mercer, aka John Bean

& here's a new youtube video about a re-release of the much more recent CD.

YouTube - The Legacy of John Bean
So this dude pisses and moans about all the "grave robbers" making money off of John Bean yet he is selling the recordings himself for $34.99? I sure hope he sends all of that money to Bean's family.

So this dude pisses and moans about all the "grave robbers" making money off of John Bean yet he is selling the recordings himself for $34.99? I sure hope he sends all of that money to Bean's family.

I saw that myself......since you can buy the CD for $14 from the company he's making himself a pretty hefty profit.....

I found the story on another site as well but this is the quickest google link I found.....

Last edited:
I saw that myself......since you can buy the CD for $14 from the company he's making himself a pretty hefty profit.....

I found the story on another site as well but this is the quickest google link I found.....
Thanks for posting it. I had always wondered who that guy was.

Asswhupper.Com
I have the CD and the t-shirt. On the back it says "It ain't nothing for me to whoop a man's ass" and has a road sign pointing to Maynardville.

NIce! My roommate from Grand Forest bought a shirt....people always stop him when he's got it on.

C'mon.......someone must have an original tape with the missing stuff on it!!!!!!

This stuff has been around since '92 at least... I was a teenager when I first heard it. Later on I can remember people arguing with me about Roy Mercer.

I had the tape for a long time - it had a few things the CD doesn't but the CD has a few bits that weren't on the tape I had. I probably heard it first in the early/mid-eighties. The CD also edits out some racially insensitive comments (during the Funeral Plot call). I've introduced a ton of people to the pleasures of Leroy Mercer. Todd Steed and the Sons of Phere do a tribute song to him.

If I buy a car, I talk to Jerry. If I buy a boat, I talk to Jerry. Jerry knows about buying things.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I had the tape for a long time - it had a few things the CD doesn't but the CD has a few bits that weren't on the tape I had. I probably heard it first in the early/mid-eighties. The CD also edits out some racially insensitive comments (during the Funeral Plot call). I've introduced a ton of people to the pleasures of Leroy Mercer. Todd Steed and the Sons of Phere do a tribute song to him.

If I buy a car, I talk to Jerry. If I buy a boat, I talk to Jerry. Jerry knows about buying things.

"they lost the baby.....no the baby lived....well, he won't amount to nothin'"

I never had the funeral call in the late 80's but Mark Knophler "Amanda White" and Al White Motors "Benny" were on it along with the Drunk Preacher were on my tape. I'm 99% sure there was a 2nd half to C&C on there....

"they lost the baby.....no the baby lived....well, he won't amount to nothin'"

I use that last part all the time.

"A pretty bad stroke?"

"Just like an old bum under a bridge with no where to lay his head"

"seems like a feller could get a pretty good deal"

To me the Funeral one is the most clever since he keeps that dumb lady on the phone for so long and asks the dumbest questions but she keeps on the phone.

I use that last part all the time.

"A pretty bad stroke?"

"Just like an old bum under a bridge with no where to lay his head"

"seems like a feller could get a pretty good deal"

To me the Funeral one is the most clever since he keeps that dumb lady on the phone for so long and asks the dumbest questions but she keeps on the phone.

The pigs one from the lady in Powell is the same way...."if you've ever had a loved one eaten by pigs, you always think about that."

I first heard them in high school. Early 90s. I still revisit them every so often thanks to Youtube.

A buddy and I were talking about them the other day. Part of what makes them so great is if you were raised in these parts you feel like you know these people or at least someone just like them.

I think C&C Auto is my favorite because that "skinny fellar" jumps right in with him. I love when Mercer gets him fired up then says "no reason to get all mad about it".

Although the shoe store one has some classic lines like "how'd they get wet?" > "well damn water of course!"

Reactions: Jackcrevol
The pigs one from the lady in Powell is the same way...."if you've ever had a loved one eaten by pigs, you always think about that."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008R7lzJ44U[/youtube]

would love to hear the funeral plot

It's mostly boring compared to the others he did imo.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7YFP5M2ZqA[/youtube]

I first heard them in high school. Early 90s. I still revisit them every so often thanks to Youtube.

A buddy and I were talking about them the other day. Part of what makes them so great is if you were raised in these parts you feel like you know these people or at least someone just like them.

I think C&C Auto is my favorite because that "skinny fellar" jumps right in with him. I love when Mercer gets him fired up then says "no reason to get all mad about it".

Although the shoe store one has some classic lines like "how'd they get wet?" > "well damn water of course!"

Hahaha! The shoe store one is probably one of the better Mercer calls. That's the type of call the Oklahoma(Roy D Mercer) guys would do all the time.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDUmKPn5vUw[/youtube]

C&C, Eddie's Auto, & Thom McCan Shoes are my favorites.

JCO's tribute to John Bean with the Saban prank call is hilarious.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008R7lzJ44U[/youtube]

It's mostly boring compared to the others he did imo.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7YFP5M2ZqA[/youtube]

Hahaha! The shoe store one is probably one of the better Mercer calls. That's the type of call the Oklahoma(Roy D Mercer) guys would do all the time.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDUmKPn5vUw[/youtube]

The OK guys are sorry imitators. They claim it's a coincidence but it's too close to not be a blatant copy cat.

I remember being a kid and hearing that stuff and practically being in tears from laughing so hard.

This is also a great prank call with a ton of salty language.

NSFW. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2PsfeQm-0[/youtube]

Last edited:
Is this the same guy that they used to roll out on John Boy and Billy? I seem to remember the funeral plot call.

VN Store

Back