Sound Off Veterans

CovVol

Vol in Georgia
Where/When did you serve and what did you do?

2nd Battalion 8th Marines 2nd Mar Div
81mm Mortar PLT
Camp Lejeune, NC
1997-2001

0341-Infantry Mortarman... the jack of all trades and master's of none. I was the Marine Corps' version of a pack-mule.

MCMWTC Bridgeport,CA Jan-Feb 98
UDP Okinawa; Camp Schwab June98-Dec98
---JWTC June-July98
---Camp Fugi August-Oct98
---OP Foal Eagle: PoHang, Korea Oct 98 (Aboard USS Germantown for 3 weeks)
MCMWTC Bridgeport,CA Jan-Feb 00

212th Engineers, Monteagle, TN
2123rd Heavy Equipment transportaion, Richmond, KY
278th ACR, Jacksboro, TN

All National Guard, total of 13 years. Includes a 6 months tour in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield/Storm.

64C/88M-10 Wheeled vehicle driver. Drove everything from Jeeps and Hummers to PLS's and M911 HET's.

Army vet here

Where'd you serve? It's a small world. I was eating at the chow hall one day and I saw a guy that looked awfully familiar. Turns out I played football with him in highschool... he went in the Navy after he graduated and was stationed not 300 feet from my barracks.

Where'd you serve? It's a small world. I was eating at the chow hall one day and I saw a guy that looked awfully familiar. Turns out I played football with him in highschool... he went in the Navy after he graduated and was stationed not 300 feet from my barracks.
Started in Highland Falls, NY, then to Alabama; South Korea; California;Texas; and Virginia.

Marine Wing Support Squadrons 272&273 South Carolina and North Carolina, Two tours in Iraq

Currently an Instructor at the NCO School in Hawaii

2111 Armorer/ the guy in the cave with alot of guns

68-69, Nam.........Brown Water Navy, a joint Army-Navy Mobile Riverine Task Force assigned to secure the rivers and canals along the Mekong Delta.

Some 40 years later they have given new life to the concept of the Brown Water Navy and now have similar units operating on the rivers in Iraq.

University of Tennessee ROTC 87-89

278th ACR- TN Army National Guard- '88-89
Airborne School- Ft Benning, GA '88
Field Artillery Officer Basic Course- Ft Sill, OK '90
Friedburg, Germany- 3rd Armored Division '91-'93
Desert Storm Jan-May 1991, Fire Support Officer 5/18 Inf 3rd Armored Division
Quartermaster Officer Advance Course- '94
Rigger School- '94
Airborne Operations Officers 507th CSG, Ft Bragg, NC-'95

Left Active Duty as a CPT, and held numerous reserve jobs, in NJ, and WI, currently a Major in the IRR.

For everyone still on Active Duty, Reserves whether deployed on not, Thanks for your service

Active duty AF. Just returned from COB Speicher, Tikrit Iraq (Nov 07-May 08)

Iraq Campaign and Global War on Terrorism along with Operations Southern Watch and Desert Fox.

Alot of folks don't remember that the AF stayed in the middle east since Desert Storm in the Southern/Northern Watch missions

Global War on Terror: Making the fight an away game since 2001!!!!!!

Sworn in on the field at Busch Stadium before a Cardinal-Padre game, July 16, 1997.

Boot camp, basic electronics school, electronic technician "A" school; Great Lakes, IL: July 17, 1997 - September 1998.

Identify Friend or Foe Radar "C" school; Norfolk, VA - September 98 - January 1999.

FFG 52 USS Carr; Norfolk, VA - January 1999 - September 2000.

Naval Air Station Oceana; Virginia Beach, VA - September 2000 - June 2001.

CVN 68 USS Nimitz; Portsmouth VA & San Diego CA - June 01 - Nov 03.

Training Support Center; Great Lakes, IL - Nov 03 - Mar 06.

Few tidbits:
Was in town for the UT-Florida game in 1998, but had to leave early to report to Norfolk.

Sailed around South America on the Nimitz shortly after 9/11.

Deployed to the Persian Gulf for 8 months of 2003.

Spent 2 weeks in Camp McCrady, part of Fort Jackson, SC, for weapons training. Followed that with 6 months in Africa. 4 months in Djibouti, 2 months alongside the equator in Kenya.

Came back, finished out the easiest 3 months of my military career and separated on March 30th, 2006. I started my new job, April 2nd. I had to wait for the weekend to pass. :)

Served 5 years in the AF. (odd # of years b/c of stop loss)

58th Fighter Squadron, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fort Walton Beach FL.

I was an F-15-C/D Electrical and Environmental Systems Maintainer.

My wing was split up after 9/11 half were sent to Saudi and the other half were sent to Langley AFB VA to fly patrol around DC. We participated in Northern Watch staying at the lovely PSAB...on numerous occasions. Participated in NATO joint task missions out of Karup AB Denmark... Tons o' fun!!

University of Tennessee ROTC 87-89

278th ACR- TN Army National Guard- '88-89
Airborne School- Ft Benning, GA '88
Field Artillery Officer Basic Course- Ft Sill, OK '90
Friedburg, Germany- 3rd Armored Division '91-'93
Desert Storm Jan-May 1991, Fire Support Officer 5/18 Inf 3rd Armored Division
Quartermaster Officer Advance Course- '94
Rigger School- '94
Airborne Operations Officers 507th CSG, Ft Bragg, NC-'95

Left Active Duty as a CPT, and held numerous reserve jobs, in NJ, and WI, currently a Major in the IRR.

For everyone still on Active Duty, Reserves whether deployed on not, Thanks for your service

Did you happen to serve with a big tall guy by the name of Mark Miller (about 6'8" tall)?

I didn't...do you know if he was in Freidberg, Germany..

It's interesting I had just reporeted in Nov, went on a field training exercise in Dec, found out we were deploying and was in Iraq in January. Then when we got back they shut our base and units down and transferred anyone that had less than a year and half in Germany to 1st Armored Divison units.

So there were alot of folks I never met that were in Freidburg, because of the timing of my arrival, subsequent deployment, then deactivation.

I didn't...do you know if he was in Freidberg, Germany..

It's interesting I had just reporeted in Nov, went on a field training exercise in Dec, found out we were deploying and was in Iraq in January. Then when we got back they shut our base and units down and transferred anyone that had less than a year and half in Germany to 1st Armored Divison units.

So there were alot of folks I never met that were in Freidburg, because of the timing of my arrival, subsequent deployment, then deactivation.

I believe he was. I knew it was a longshot but you never know.

212th Engineers, Monteagle, TN
2123rd Heavy Equipment transportaion, Richmond, KY
278th ACR, Jacksboro, TN

All National Guard, total of 13 years. Includes a 6 months tour in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield/Storm.

64C/88M-10 Wheeled vehicle driver. Drove everything from Jeeps and Hummers to PLS's and M911 HET's.

with 13 in, why doen't you get the last 7?

I had an old roommate that recently finished his Naval term and also served on the Nimitz.

It's possible there's an overlap, then. I did meet a younger kid there in 2001 from Lenoir City. I stopped him on the pier when I saw his LC Panthers shirt.

That's the only time I saw him, but it was nifty to see that.

2nd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cav, FT Carson, CO
4th Squadron, 7th Cav, Camp Garryowen, Korea

19D Cavalry Scout

THE PARATROOPERS​

After the security of childhood, and the insecurity of a second childhood. we find the paratroopers. Paratroopers are found everywhere; in bars, on bars, behind bars, in trouble, in debt, in planes, in the air, in trees, on, leave, in love and A.W.O.L. Paratroopers are also found in assorted sizes, colors, weight, and states of soberness, misery and confusion.

Girls love them, mothers worry about them, little boys worship them, and the Army tries to support them.
A Paratrooper is a master with a deck of cards, a millionaire without a cent, bravery with a grin, and a protector of his country with the lateset issue of Playboy in his pocket at all times.

A Paratrooper is a composite; he has the energy of a turtle, slyness of a fox, the brains of an idiot, the sincerity of a liar, the appetite of a elephant, the aspirations of a Casanova, and the story of a hero.

A Paratrooper always wants something. Usually a date, a drink, a three day pass, someone to pull his K.P., or extra duty, and to jump from a Huey at 5000 feet. He dislikes answering letters, Saturday inspections, getting up for reveille, army chow, his girls old man, most civilians, all legs, army planes, Air Force Reserve pilots, and the week before pay day. He likes girls, ladies, women and alcohol in any form. No one can write so seldom, yet think of you so often. No one can get so much fun out of your letters, civilian clothes, sex magazines, weekends, and breaking things.

A Paratrooper is a magical creature, you can lock him out of your house, but not your heart. You can take him off your mailing list, but not off your mind.

VN Store

Back