Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Volunteer_Kirby

Its not what you think...
Just started reading 'For Those I Loved' by Martin Gray yestertday. The book is written like a novel and it's about how Martin Gray survived the Holocaust - starting from childhood. The book has been captivating from the start, definitely an interesting read, but some of the things he cites seem a little too far fetched. Really makes me question the credibility. Regardless, I'll be finishing it up soon because it's very inspiring so far. On page 60.

Next book up is 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu. I also plan to read Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe in the near future, just because I'm related to her (great-great-Aunt).

If anyone has any book suggestions, please say..

Bought a few books last nite, one is a Dave Ramsey book, it's not Fin. Peace Univ., i forgot what its called tho. The other one is 90 minutes in Heaven

Don't think I really want to show my nerddom by posting the books I read...

but what the hell. I'm reading Belgarath the Sorcerer by Eddings for the second time. Just got a bunch of Feist books that I'm going to read when I'm done with this.

I'm reading Clancy's Rainbox Six right now as well as Hubris (by Isikoff and Corn). I guess that I'll be starting the final Harry Potter tomorrow as well. Ughh...three books at once, I hate when I do that to myself.

I just finished Spy Dust by Tony and Jonna Mendez. I actually thought that was a fantastic read. I enjoyed Master of Disguise by Tony, but this was even better.

but what the hell. I'm reading Belgarath the Sorcerer by Eddings for the second time. Just got a bunch of Feist books that I'm going to read when I'm done with this.
you better hope jess dont find out you read books like that.

Currently reading "It's how you play the game" by Brian Kilmeade.

A good sports book.

How are the Belgariad/Mallorean books? I've seem them around.

David Sklansky-Low limit holdem
DS-Theory of Poker
TJ Clu.-No limit Holdem
Phil Gordons book on poker
and 8 other poker books I cant remember

I decided last month to try to read some more "classic" books. I just finished the D'Artegnan romances by Dumas (Three Musketeers, Twenty years later, Man in the Iron Mask) and I am currently reading A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway.

Great thread idea. :hi:

I decided last month to try to read some more "classic" books. I just finished the D'Artegnan romances by Dumas (Three Musketeers, Twenty years later, Man in the Iron Mask) and I am currently reading A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway.

Great thread idea. :hi:

I think that what you are doing is a great idea. I've talked about doing that for awhile, but I can't get off of historical nonfiction.

Just finished Black Hawk Down.

Reading Vertical Leap now, feel like I am reading something for a 6th grade book report, but as a UT fan it is intersting just to read some inside stories.

Just finished Black Hawk Down.

Reading Vertical Leap now, feel like I am reading something for a 6th grade book report, but as a UT fan it is intersting just to read some inside stories.

Black Hawk Down was a good book. I liked the Tennessee / Fort Campbell connection as well.

I think that what you are doing is a great idea. I've talked about doing that for awhile, but I can't get off of historical nonfiction.

My proposed reading list. Comments and suggestions welcome:

Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
A Death in the Family - James Agee
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Thin Red Line - James Jones
1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The World According to Garp - John Irving
The Cider House Rules - John Irving
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
The James Fenimore Cooper "Leatherstocking Tales"
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
A Man Without a Country - Kurt Vonnegut
A Connecticut Yankee in Kin Authur's Court - Mark Twain
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S Lewis
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Deliverance - James Dickey
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Snows of Kilamanjaro - Ernest Hemingway
Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi
Reclaiming History - Vincent Bugliosi
Blackhawk Down - Mark Bowden

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
Speaking of Tennessee connections, I found this little nugget about Kurt Vonnegut when I was compiling my book list.

While at Cornell, Vonnegut enlisted in the U.S. Army. The army sent him to the Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon University) and the University of Tennessee to study mechanical engineering.

Note: I got my degree in Mech Eng from Tennessee. It's like we are the same person :)

VN Store

Back