Batteries Plus Rant

Wishbone

I recently needed a new battery for my UTV buggy, so I looked around and the only one I could find near me was at Batteries plus. After replacing what I thought was just one bad battery my buggy was still not working so I took it to the shop.

There I was told I needed 3 more batteries, so ok, go ahead and replace the other 3. Later I got a call from the repair shop that the battery from Batteries Plus would not hold a charge and did I want them to replace it also. So yes, I replaced it and was told they would be happy to explain what was wrong with the bad battery to whoever at Batteries Plus.

So all this takes place over about 3 weeks. I tried to return the battery and am told by Batteries Plus that there is a 14 day policy and therefore no return. When telling them what the repair shop said; they replied "anything coming from them would be irrelevant". Their meter showed the battery was charged, 14 days had passed, so I'm stuck with a bad battery.

The problem is the battery won't hold a charge, of course it will show charged when it is charged, the problem is it won't hold a charge. The poor manager seemed ignorant (which isn't a bad thing, just means he doesn't know) and I'm stuck.

They will never get another penny from me and my advice is to go to Wal Mart or order online.

I recently needed a new battery for my UTV buggy, so I looked around and the only one I could find near me was at Batteries plus. After replacing what I thought was just one bad battery my buggy was still not working so I took it to the shop.

There I was told I needed 3 more batteries, so ok, go ahead and replace the other 3. Later I got a call from the repair shop that the battery from Batteries Plus would not hold a charge and did I want them to replace it also. So yes, I replaced it and was told they would be happy to explain what was wrong with the bad battery to whoever at Batteries Plus.

So all this takes place over about 3 weeks. I tried to return the battery and am told by Batteries Plus that there is a 14 day policy and therefore no return. When telling them what the repair shop said; they replied "anything coming from them would be irrelevant". Their meter showed the battery was charged, 14 days had passed, so I'm stuck with a bad battery.

The problem is the battery won't hold a charge, of course it will show charged when it is charged, the problem is it won't hold a charge. The poor manager seemed ignorant (which isn't a bad thing, just means he doesn't know) and I'm stuck.

They will never get another penny from me and my advice is to go to Wal Mart or order online.

If you paid for it by debit or credit card call your card company and explain. There's a good chance they'll charge it back to Batteries Plus.

Even if it doesn't get you anything, it would be a good point of principle to repeat that story to the Better Business Bureau. And what the hell, Yelp too.

Write Batteries Plus corporate. Tell the whole story. Document everything.

If they still say no then take it to Twitter and shame the hell out of them. 🤪

use social media. These days its getting better results than complaining directly to the company. Like their page on facebook and either make a post or send them a message. If not FB, then twitter. I wouldnt do both as you'd be just looking to make a scene instead of making it right.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. It's hard to explain a situation like that if you are talking to a brick wall.

No one thinks the “shop” is at fault here? They just sold & installed 3 new batteries. They called to explain that a competitor’s new battery “won’t hold a charge”. Shops don’t rip people off?

BP put a meter on the returned battery & states it shows “charged”. If charged means a full charge between 12-15 volts (if a 12v battery), they are 100% right that the battery is good.
Shop states “Won’t hold a charge”. What a twisted confusion way of making one believe that the battery will take a full charge but won’t hold it. That’s not the way a battery works. Someone that doesn’t know buy’s it.

Batteries are simple: they either take a full 100% charge or they don’t. They are either “good” or “bad”. There is no in between won’t hold a charge garbage. A simple test with a voltmeter would tell the state of the battery. BP did that test. What test did the shop do?

Mmmm not entirely true. Batteries will show a full charge. Say 12 volts. What they don’t say is if it’s holding the amperage as neccassary to be a good battery. I have had countless batteries show fully charged (12 volts) only to be a bad battery.

All the shop had to do was a load test.

Reactions: 2 people
Mmmm not entirely true. Batteries will show a full charge. Say 12 volts. What they don’t say is if it’s holding the amperage as neccassary to be a good battery. I have had countless batteries show fully charged (12 volts) only to be a bad battery.

And the shop can do a print out for that.

If you paid for it by debit or credit card call your card company and explain. There's a good chance they'll charge it back to Batteries Plus.

better chance if it was a CC - they are easier to deal with than a bank and the debit card

"Load test", that's the test the repair shop told me the new battery would not pass. They said it was way below the other 3. Thanks all for the info.

Reactions: 1 person
better chance if it was a CC - they are easier to deal with than a bank and the debit card

Agree but with PNC all I do is log into my bank account, find the transaction and open a dispute. That gets it started.

Also with some CC's there are additional warranties beyond the product or store policy.

In addition to what Boca said the amount charged to the card being disputed is immediately taken off the tab and you don't pay interest during the dispute.

VN Store

Back